Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Remind me again why Brighton let Elphick and Cook go ...

Reginald Lorenzo

Dec 13, 2014
At least this thread got to 3 pages before one of yours mentioned the FACT of the 'massive salary'.

We got two good players, but I'm sure you've sold players who haven't gone on to better things.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
At least this thread got to 3 pages before one of yours mentioned the FACT of the 'massive salary'.

We got two good players, but I'm sure you've sold players who haven't gone on to better things.
It is true, however you may like to ignore it. Cook went to you for FAR FAR more money than we would have paid an 18 year old or however old he was at the time. £19000 a month for a reserve is a lot isn't it?

FFP lol!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not unfounded.

It was completely unfounded at Elphick, who didn't play in the Sussex Senior cup game as he was on crutches at the time. He had been wrongly identified by the victim and was exonerated within 12 hours, but the Argus still printed his name in two inch high capitals the following day, on the front page.

Feb 14, 2010
'Still scrapping around the lower leagues'? We've finished the last three seasons 10th, 4th and 6th, in the fifth biggest league on Europe. Get a ****ing GRIP.

Since the Southern League was merged into the Football League, we have spent all our history bar a few brief seasons scrapping in the lower leagues. We still are. The Championship is not the top flight. We have the most shocking record on the pitch, surpassed by the likes of Wigan and Wimbledon.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
'Still scrapping around the lower leagues'? We've finished the last three seasons 10th, 4th and 6th, in the fifth biggest league on Europe. Get a ****ing GRIP.

Ignore him, he posts rubbish. Who thought that just because we have a nice ground we are entitled to be a mid table top flight team. Surely the point is, despite the blip of this season, that things are heading in the right direction, probably in main down to what the academy is going to be producing.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Good move for both players. They would never have developed for us like they have at Bournemouth. That's just how football can sometimes work.

Nonetheless, Dunk is twice the player both Cook and Elphick are currently at.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nonetheless, Dunk is twice the player both Cook and Elphick are currently at.

.They are both more highly rated by Premier scouts. It must be remembered Dunk has as yet not had a complete full season as 1st choice for a Championship club. If AFCB do not get promoted this year 1 of them will go to a Premier side, cant say the same about Dunk, which is good for us.

D

Deleted member 2719

Gus let them go because he never backed the youth unless we were hit by injuries, he preferred to back biting Uruguayans.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
That bitter you're drinking is pretty strong. :thumbsup:
No. Not really. I am honestly not bothered that Cook went. I was disappointed at the time and I wish him all the best. He's a great player. However this 'why oh why did we ever let Cook go?' thread keeps appearing on NSC about once a week in fact. I am certain about the money, I do wonder how Bournemouth can afford the players they've got with their tiny income, but I would never blame a player for moving on to further his career. That is exactly what Cook did and you notice I said further, your club are doing a fantastic job ATM so well done. It still doesn't mean he moved for anything but the high salary your club were prepared to pay rather than the more meagre offering he was on here.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
.They are both more highly rated by Premier scouts. It must be remembered Dunk has as yet not had a complete full season as 1st choice for a Championship club. If AFCB do not get promoted this year 1 of them will go to a Premier side, cant say the same about Dunk, which is good for us.

Aren't Spurs being linked with Dunk?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Gus let them go because he never backed the youth unless we were hit by injuries, he preferred to back biting Uruguayans.

Poyet (the myth) didn't rate them, simples..Same as he didn't rate Murray.

The claws are out again. Miaow.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/9868886.print/

We gave Tommy a one year deal, which would involve sitting on the bench with Greer & Upson being obvious first choices, whereas Bournemouth offered him a three year deal with the prospect of playing most matches. Both he & Cook were also dropping a division to play regular football.

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
....and why didn't we sign Roy Keane when we had the chance?

Or sign a teenage Peter Reid from Bolton?

A young John Aldridge from Newport County?

Turned Ian Wright down after a two game trial?

It's why we love football, it's a game of opinions, and 'mistakes' get made whilst other players develop at different stages.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Or sign a teenage Peter Reid from Bolton?

A young John Aldridge from Newport County?

Turned Ian Wright down after a two game trial?

It's why we love football, it's a game of opinions, and 'mistakes' get made whilst other players develop at different stages.

Ian Muir let go and Mick Ferguson retained, and that was by my FAVOURITE Albion manager, Chris Cattlin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here