Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Remember when Tariq Lamptey was our next £50 million player?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I was surprised we didn't pass to him more often, up against a debutant full back who was on a yellow and has a reputation for getting cards.

This. So many times he was looking for the ball from Dunk or JP in behind them, with a little dinky run but didn't get any in the second half that I can remember.

Not sure if it was a strategy in the second half being 3-0 up from what RDZ said about keeping the ball, but still, plenty of opportunities for him to get in behind that weren't taken.

Glad to see the pocket rocket back in fine form.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This. So many times he was looking for the ball from Dunk or JP in behind them, with a little dinky run but didn't get any in the second half that I can remember.

Not sure if it was a strategy in the second half being 3-0 up from what RDZ said about keeping the ball, but still, plenty of opportunities for him to get in behind that weren't taken.

I think it’s because RDZ drills moves and tactics so hard into players.

Dunk has said that he knows who he is going to pass to before he gets the ball - it’s largely pre-determined. So with a relatively new formation (3-5-2) and the fact that Lamptey has played at left wing back so little, I just think that players were missing him as an outlet because RDZ has yet to drill that cross field pass into them.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Lamptey was on fire yesterday, I just hope now he's back to form that RDZ can find some more different tactics to get the ball to him. There were a few more times I thought he could have had the ball but Gilmour had his back to him oddly, and a few times it was played back down the pitch away from Tariq...I can't wait to see how this all develops as we get the team back together soon...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think it’s because RDZ drills moves and tactics so hard into players.

Dunk has said that he knows who he is going to pass to before he gets the ball - it’s largely pre-determined. So with a relatively new formation (3-5-2) and the fact that Lamptey has played at left wing back so little, I just think that players were missing him as an outlet because RDZ has yet to drill that cross field pass into them.
From my vantage point in W1, RDZ was absolutely instructing Dunk to ping a cross field pass for Lamptey to run on to. While the Olise debacle was going on, clear hand signals were exchanged from RDZ to Dunk who acknowledged with a thumbsup up and a minute later was pinging a ball over the full back.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Did Lamptey put in more crosses from the left than usual (certainly since we lost Mitoma), or did it just feel like it?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was surprised we didn't pass to him more often

It was even worse against Wolves when he came on for Buonanotte, no one would pass to him. He got us the corner for the first yesterday, and then assisted the second, but I still felt we didn't use him enough. Igor did acknowledge his run once when he didn't pass.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

The same happened against Wolves when he came on. The only time he seemed to get the ball was when he was on the byline and faced with two oppo players right in front of him.

I got told off by Bobkin Jnr yesterday for screaming for them to give him the ball. He told me that RDZ knew what he was doing and I should pipe down :lolol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Havng a player with genuine pace that can play on either flank is so useful to a side like us that plays with width. It is incredible how he even came close to leaving given the obvious burden on our squad with Europe, AFCON and the Asia Cup.

So what happens when Mitoma returns, switch Lamptey to the right? I definitely feel he's done enough to not be put back in defence
That would be a very good idea, I’m a bit fed up of our midfielders and 10s filling in out wide, we need pace and ability to beat man on both wings, otherwise they’ll just double up on Mitoma

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Always believed in him and nailed my flag to the Lamptey is a decent player we need to keep mast - and maintain it. He’s class, just been unlucky with injuries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here