Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Remember when Tariq Lamptey was our next £50 million player?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He wasn’t skinned. Martinelli was into his sprint a touch earlier (anticipating the excellent ball) so had a jump on him. They were pretty much stride for stride by the end and Martinelli is equally rapid.
I thought Lamptey switched off for a second, but I actually thought he reduced the deficit by a yard, which wasn’t quite enough.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Post-injury, Lamptey seems to have lost a lot of what made him such an exciting young talent. I'm sure lack of game time doesn't help but watching him being skinned by Martinelli yesterday - something I thought I'd never see - as well as his overall performance makes me think that maybe Potter had his reasons for benching him so often.
Hard to argue with everything that you say, his game was all about his explosive pace. Now that he has lost a yard or two he isn't anything like the same player sadly.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Presumably none of those runs were made with the ball and just because Martinelli at some point made a 35.9 kph run doesn't mean that all of his runs are that fast.

I think it is quite visible that Lamptey does not have the same pace as he did before the injury, despite not really having any data to back it up.
It's lack of confidence as much as lost pace, I think. He checks back now, rather than taking his player on

East London Exile

Jan 13, 2013
London
It's lack of confidence as much as lost pace, I think. He checks back now, rather than taking his player on
Whether he takes a player on rather depends on what role he is playing. If he is being played as a RWB and there is not the cover behind he tends not to take on the player and turn back. If he is brought on to be more in the right side of midfield with cover he takes the players on. In the first situation, if he fails to get past the player, there is a gap behind that can be exploited.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
I've never rated Lamptey as there is no end product. He sprints like the clappers and just runs into defenders. We should have cashed in two years ago.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've never rated Lamptey as there is no end product. He sprints like the clappers and just runs into defenders. We should have cashed in two years ago.
I disagree. You make him sound very one dimensional; we have often seen him him play one-twos and put decent crosses in.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Presumably none of those runs were made with the ball and just because Martinelli at some point made a 35.9 kph run doesn't mean that all of his runs are that fast.

I think it is quite visible that Lamptey does not have the same pace as he did before the injury, despite not really having any data to back it up.
He was clocked as the fastest player in the world in 2020. That extra top end speed gave his game a very special dimension. I remember when he skinned Vardy, I hadn’t seen that many times at all.

He has gone from the fastest player on the planet to just another fast player. It seems that his acceleration has been affected by the injury as well as his top end speed as he is not dinking the ball around players and then using his acceleration to beat them nearly as much as he used too.

That said, he is still a great player, just not at the astonishing level he was pre-injury where he generally looked like our best player each match. Those away performances at Leicester and Newcastle were mind-blowing.

Dec 29, 2011
Nonsense. A few years ago there was a patch he was putting in dangerous cross after dangerous cross. The fact is a back 4 doesn't suit his style, until we revert to wing backs he's not going to be out first choice full back.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He had a bad game, it happens. Gave the ball away too much, thought his first 5 mins transferred into him panicking in possession a bit and Arsenal spotted that and were quick to overload that side with the ball or close down when we had it. If was a tough afternoon for Lamps, not sure anyone could deny that, but RDZ right to defend him as he is young, he hasn’t had the minutes, plus plenty of others made mistakes in the game as well.

He needs his confidence building and that might take a little bit of time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here