Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Remember: it's 5:45pm KO against Ajax!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
It’s because we’re in the northwest of Europe (along with the Irish Republic). The northerly aspect gives us more extreme daylight (longer daylight in summer and shorter daylight in winter) than most of the rest of Europe, while the westerly aspect simply means the sun gets here later in the day. So in winter, being an hour behind mainland Europe means the short day better fits into our year-round time-driven day (kids aren’t walking to school in the dark) and the delay caused by our westerly aspect similarly aligns actual daylight with the time of day on our clocks.

Portugal is with us, driven by its even more westerly aspect rather than the north south impact.
Nice explanation 👍🌄

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Yikes.

I would have missed it and sauntered to the pub at 7:45 after not even allowing for the time difference either.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I missed the 1st half of the Marseille game because of this.

I've also missed home matches from lunchtime kick offs..
I missed the first half of an away match at Leeds United. Was a very 'me' story.

I had a team meeting in Yorkshire the following week, so traveled up at the weekend for the match. I thought it was a 15.00 start. I arrived at the ground, a little late, just after what I thought was kick off. But I couldn't understand why so many were hanging around outside the exits and the external gates were shut.

I tried to get in but was told it may be too late. Eventually I was let in and the game was proceeding. As I got up the stairs I looked at the screen and saw what I thought must be a replay of a previous Albion match there as the timer showed 50 minutes. The problem was that one of our players had only joined the Albion in the current season.

When I went to the seats it occurred to me that we were in the second half. I had turned up an hour late. My Leeds supporting boss found the whole thing very funny, and is always bewildered as to how I am respected as an extremely efficient organiser but never know when I am on leave, get my dentist appointments muddled up and live most of domestic life in timeless mayhem. If i go out I literally have to check I have my trousers on.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I missed the first half of an away match at Leeds United. Was a very 'me' story.

I had a team meeting in Yorkshire the following week, so traveled up at the weekend for the match. I thought it was a 15.00 start. I arrived at the ground, a little late, just after what I thought was kick off. But I couldn't understand why so many were hanging around outside the exits and the external gates were shut.

I tried to get in but was told it may be too late. Eventually I was let in and the game was proceeding. As I got up the stairs I looked at the screen and saw what I thought must be a replay of a previous Albion match there as the timer showed 50 minutes. The problem was that one of our players had only joined the Albion in the current season.

When I went to the seats it occurred to me that we were in the second half. I had turned up an hour late. My Leeds supporting boss found the whole thing very funny, and is always bewildered as to how I am respected as an extremely efficient organiser but never know when I am on leave, get my dentist appointments muddled up and live most of domestic life in timeless mayhem. If i go out I literally have to check I have my trousers on.
I travelled from Brighton to Brechin to watch a couple of games up there (£15 return on some Easter Madness scheme). We went on the Tuesday for the game on Wednesday. Caught the bus from Montrose station, and someone had left a local paper on the seat. Browsing through it, we spotted that the game was actually now scheduled for Tuesday night - we wouldn't have known otherwise. We could have travelled 500 miles and been sat in a pub 500 yards away from the ground instead of being at the match - which was the sole reason for being there!

Not that we would have missed much, it was a dour 1-0 defeat, followed by a 0-0 draw on the Saturday at East Fife.

Following which we had a lift in the team bus to the station - back home in Southwick on the 1.06 pissheads special out of Brighton. No transport problems getting away from grounds in those days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here