Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Religion is the cause of all problems...

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I subscribe to the late, great Christopher Hitchens' attitude that not only do I not believe in god but I wouldn't want it to be true either. He believed the idea of a celestial dictator, observing and judging you every second of the day is a hideous concept. A celestial North Korea except that in North Korea it all ends when you die unlike religion.

I actually agree with the majority of your posts nibble, I don't know why I ever doubted you, I even agree that I do post complete shite on here but its all in good FAITH I swear!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I actually agree with the majority of your posts nibble, I don't know why I ever doubted you, I even agree that I do post complete shite on here but its all in good FAITH I swear!

I happen to enjoy the majority of your output. Feel the love.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Neither am I, I am what people call Agnostic.

I don't believe because it cannot be proved.
I don't disbelieve because it cannot be disproved.

I will not mock anybody who has faith, somehow I think they are probably more at peace with themselves than I am.

Surely the burden of proof is on the believer though? There is no proof to say i cant fly (apart from science, but that doesnt seem to matter) but that is surely something you disbelieve?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
You see, you've missed the point again. I gave you some information, based on facts, I pointed out that there are a lot more of them than there are of you, and I explained that there are those that believe, and in what they believe. I stated my opinion on a couple of points. I certainly didn't state anywhere what my own personal beliefs are, and I won't.

As for science, this was written by a scientist, who used to be an Athiest.

Does God exist? The complexity of our planet points to a deliberate Designer who not only created our universe, but sustains it today.

Many examples showing God's design could be given, possibly with no end. But here are a few:

The Earth...its size is perfect. The Earth's size and corresponding gravity holds a thin layer of mostly nitrogen and oxygen gases, only extending about 50 miles above the Earth's surface. If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter. Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life.

The Earth is located the right distance from the sun. Consider the temperature swings we encounter, roughly -30 degrees to +120 degrees. If the Earth were any further away from the sun, we would all freeze. Any closer and we would burn up. Even a fractional variance in the Earth's position to the sun would make life on Earth impossible. The Earth remains this perfect distance from the sun while it rotates around the sun at a speed of nearly 67,000 mph. It is also rotating on its axis, allowing the entire surface of the Earth to be properly warmed and cooled every day.

And our moon is the perfect size and distance from the Earth for its gravitational pull. The moon creates important ocean tides and movement so ocean waters do not stagnate, and yet our massive oceans are restrained from spilling over across the continents.

There are a number of other explainations for scientific phenomena she makes, about Water (H2O), The Human Brain, The Human Eye, The uniform laws of nature, DNA encoding, it's all quite interestingly put, and possibly more thought provoking than some of the things you've written on the subject.

And meanwhile the human race kill each other due to a large extent religion

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You see, you've missed the point again. I gave you some information, based on facts, I pointed out that there are a lot more of them than there are of you, and I explained that there are those that believe, and in what they believe. I stated my opinion on a couple of points. I certainly didn't state anywhere what my own personal beliefs are, and I won't.

Does God exist? The complexity of our planet points to a deliberate Designer who not only created our universe, but sustains it today.

Many examples showing God's design could be given, possibly with no end. But here are a few:

The Earth...its size is perfect. The Earth's size and corresponding gravity holds a thin layer of mostly nitrogen and oxygen gases, only extending about 50 miles above the Earth's surface. If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter. Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life.

The Earth is located the right distance from the sun. Consider the temperature swings we encounter, roughly -30 degrees to +120 degrees. If the Earth were any further away from the sun, we would all freeze. Any closer and we would burn up. Even a fractional variance in the Earth's position to the sun would make life on Earth impossible. The Earth remains this perfect distance from the sun while it rotates around the sun at a speed of nearly 67,000 mph. It is also rotating on its axis, allowing the entire surface of the Earth to be properly warmed and cooled every day.

And our moon is the perfect size and distance from the Earth for its gravitational pull. The moon creates important ocean tides and movement so ocean waters do not stagnate, and yet our massive oceans are restrained from spilling over across the continents.

There are a number of other explainations for scientific phenomena she makes, about Water (H2O), The Human Brain, The Human Eye, The uniform laws of nature, DNA encoding, it's all quite interestingly put, and possibly more thought provoking than some of the things you've written on the subject.

Where did you just copy n paste this from!?

Surely the burden of proof is on the believer though? There is no proof to say i cant fly (apart from science, but that doesnt seem to matter) but that is surely something you disbelieve?

Take god to court then.

Me, I can't be arsed.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003

More likely Aliens terraforming

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
If it helps, this is some information I found on the web, which I believe to be fairly true. Atheists comprise an estimated 2.01% of the world population, and non-religious a further 16% of the world population, that leaves a lot who do in fact believe.

The remaining 82% dont belie in just ONE God though... they are split by many different Gods, each believing that others are wrong.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Believing in religion as it exists at present is a sign of immaturity. The church wonders why it's losing it's congregations and concludes it's because the world is losing its way. No, it's because the world is evolving and dropping outdated, controlling, dictatorial systems designed to lead people in fear. The most prominent misery of a dictatorship is not drudgery and routine but the unpredictability, the sense of being one step from chaos. Breaking a rule, feeling shamed, small yet grateful as mercy is granted. In fact most of Stalin's cabinet said he was most frightening when he was in a good mood.

Religion fits the mold of a dictatorship perfectly and I won't be treated like that.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The remaining 82% dont belie in just ONE God though... they are split by many different Gods, each believing that others are wrong.

Muslims and Jews acknowledge Jesus in their own writings :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here