Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Refused entry after half-time. Standard procedure?

D

Deleted User X18H

My only experience of arriving after HT had the opposite outcome. It was against Preston at the Goldstone just after the big storm in 1987 and transport that day would have caused a meltdown on NSC. There were no trains to Brighton so I got a coach from Victoria which dropped me off on the A23 at Patcham so had to jog up the hill and into Hove. Went for the shortcut through Hove Park option but given the number of fallen trees it didn't help much. Finally turned up sometime during the second half and was let in to the West Terrace for free to see the end of a 0-0 draw.
Hope that helps (don't expect it does much)...
Oh leave it out it wasn't that bad. The transport I mean

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Seems a bit harsh. Probably a mindless rule that has been mindlessly followed for years. There's probably quite a few of those at football grounds.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The opera will let you into the building (our equivalent would be the concourse) at any time the show is on. In that "concourse" you can buy a drink and something to eat at any of 3 bars, and sit down and watch (with full sound volume) one of multiple screens showing what's going on on the stage. At the next interval (and there are often two intervals, meaning that you can see the last third of the opera if you're running really late), you can take your seat in the auditorium. What you can't do is enter the auditorium while the orchestra is playing.

Doesn't really help, I know, but you mentioned opera, so I thought I'd draw the comparison.
The reason that happens at the opera (and the theatre) is that latecomers can disturb the performance, and the enjoyment of the other patrons, by taking their seats after it's started. That doesn't apply at football where people often are still taking their seats a few minutes after the match has kicked off. And of course at the opera people don't leave five or ten minutes early in order to miss the rush and disturb all the other patrons on their way out.

I too got into the Goldstone late, so I guess the modern rule is just part of the general over-stewarding of football, I can't think of any other reason. Well apart from the fact that you've already been counted as part of the 'attendance', so letting you in after half time probably counts as letting you in twice!

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I'd imagine that the explanation would be something around deployment of security staff and resources. Before and first half geared up to getting people in safely (searching etc.),from half time switching to getting them out; There's probably a manual somewhere that uses the words ingress and egress. Does seem incredibly inflexible though.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
in the late 60s at the Goldstone, i can remember me and my mates getting in free at half time. They just opened the gates and left them open.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Doesn't this all tie in with also not letting anyone out for a HT fag..Curious to know what proportion of championship grounds dont let peeps enjoy there HT smoke (i dont)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seems somewhat unfair if it's not covered in the ticket and booking Ts&Cs anywhere. If it was and you'd not read them until after the event, then fair enough.

I'd pursue this out of a point of principle.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Seems somewhat unfair if it's not covered in the ticket and booking Ts&Cs anywhere. If it was and you'd not read them until after the event, then fair enough.

I'd pursue this out of a point of principle.

Yup. Waiting for a second reply from Customer Services.

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
I know it doesn't really have relevance but at Colchester they create a corral at halftime for fans to go out and drink and have a smoke

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I quite often used to turn up at the Goldstone and Withdean at HT after playing a game myself. It was never a problem at the Goldstone.

At Withdean, it depended on jobsworth stewards. Where one would relish saying no, another would happily let me in.

Really don't understand why it's a problem.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Straight from the Barber Book of Customer Relations. Petty and pathetic.

You have paid for your ticket so unless "late entry" is prohibited by the T&Cs how can they refuse entry?

There are still stewards. They can still search you. No security implications.

Many clubs (MK Dons, Reading, Wolves spring to mind) actually let you leave the stadium at half time for a smoke. Then they let you back in again.

Keep fighting for compensation (and if you had any travel costs getting to the game not covered by the ST "travel tax", claim those at well!)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My other half had a problem leaving the ground last season. He became unwell just before kick off and tried several times to leave. Stewards didn't listen to him, and kept repeating that he couldn't get back in, once he'd left. He said it several times, that he wanted to go home, because he was unwell and wouldn't be coming back.
In the end, after quite a few frustrating and uncomfortable minutes, he spotted a steward that knows us, explained the situation, and was let out.
He was already feeling very unwell, and the stress involved made him worse.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
My other half had a problem leaving the ground last season. He became unwell just before kick off and tried several times to leave. Stewards didn't listen to him, and kept repeating that he couldn't get back in, once he'd left. He said it several times, that he wanted to go home, because he was unwell and wouldn't be coming back.
In the end, after quite a few frustrating and uncomfortable minutes, he spotted a steward that knows us, explained the situation, and was let out.
He was already feeling very unwell, and the stress involved made him worse.

Had the same thing with my son. My wife came to pick him up and I was advised that I would not be allowed re-entry.

Given that my Father was still in the ground it constituted a bit of a problem.

Outcome was that I was allowed in after I'd had a bit of a disagreement with the Head Steward.

I subsequently raised it with Paul Barber who advised that there are circumstances where readmission is allowed, and that stewards would be reminded.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'd personally have asked for another steward and another and another then the stadium manager etc - ie kicked off a bit more... and I'm sure you would have got in OK - blagging innit...

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Straight from the Barber Book of Customer Relations. Petty and pathetic.

You have paid for your ticket so unless "late entry" is prohibited by the T&Cs how can they refuse entry?

There are still stewards. They can still search you. No security implications.

Many clubs (MK Dons, Reading, Wolves spring to mind) actually let you leave the stadium at half time for a smoke. Then they let you back in again.

Keep fighting for compensation (and if you had any travel costs getting to the game not covered by the ST "travel tax", claim those at well!)

Currently available in all major retailers. No.1 in the 'Biggest amount of BS' chart overtaking the bible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here