Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Refused entry after half-time. Standard procedure?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If you have bought a ticket and have a reasonable excuse for being late I cannot for the life of me understand why you. would be denied entry. You will hardly be disturbing anyone any more that someone going to the bar early or to the loo. It is, in short, outrageous.
On a seperate note, In the old days at the Goldstone they would open the gates and let anyone in for free not long after half time. How times and customer service have changed - oh, they didn't used to call it "customer service" - it was something like "looking after your fans".

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Re the attendance theory. It wouldn't matter whether or not he was in the stadium, having purchased a ticket it was already counted towards the final figure. As soon as the ticket sales stop, be it 24 hours prior to KO or at KO, a figure will show up regardless of who is in the ground.

el punal

If you have bought a ticket and have a reasonable excuse for being late I cannot for the life of me understand why you. would be denied entry. You will hardly be disturbing anyone any more that someone going to the bar early or to the loo. It is, in short, outrageous.
On a seperate note, In the old days at the Goldstone they would open the gates and let anyone in for free not long after half time. How times and customer service have changed - oh, they didn't used to call it "customer service" - it was something like "looking after your fans".

I don't know who you bribed! Back in the early seventies I had to work on Saturday. If there was a match on I would take my lunch hour from 3.45 to 4.45 so I could watch the second half. Paying half price (I think) at the half time turnstile at the South end of the East terrace. The exit gates used to be opened ten minutes from the end of the game - a kind of pre-cursor of the 85th minute brigade we get now!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I once attended an away (Saturday) match at the Deva Stadium and was running a little late. When I arrived in the city traffic was virtually gridlocked. I finally arrived at the ground at about 4:15pm. The area around the stadium was deserted; after walking around the whole stadium I finally found a steward who opened up one of the exit gates and let me in. Missed out on a programme too :down:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I don't know who you bribed! Back in the early seventies I had to work on Saturday. If there was a match on I would take my lunch hour from 3.45 to 4.45 so I could watch the second half. Paying half price (I think) at the half time turnstile at the South end of the East terrace. The exit gates used to be opened ten minutes from the end of the game - a kind of pre-cursor of the 85th minute brigade we get now!

I am talking early to mid 60s when I was a youngster with little money!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My only experience of arriving after HT had the opposite outcome. It was against Preston at the Goldstone just after the big storm in 1987 and transport that day would have caused a meltdown on NSC. There were no trains to Brighton so I got a coach from Victoria which dropped me off on the A23 at Patcham so had to jog up the hill and into Hove. Went for the shortcut through Hove Park option but given the number of fallen trees it didn't help much. Finally turned up sometime during the second half and was let in to the West Terrace for free to see the end of a 0-0 draw.
Hope that helps (don't expect it does much)...

I used to go to college on a weekday evening and would turn up at the Goldstone for the second half. I was always let in free.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Is the policy purely down to finance in that the gate stewards either go home say 15 minutes after kick off or are redeployed elsewhere in the ground, and no one wants to pay wages for a steward to let a very late fan in on the odd time that they turn up at half time.

I experienced this rule at Doncaster once. The train we were travelling on had been delayed by a suicide and when we got to Donny station, there was a long wait for a taxi to show up. Fortunately, a chap called Mr Bloom had been on the same train and he gathered the group of Albion fans together to share a ride to the ground. When we got there, he swanned off in the direction of the Directors' seats, leaving the rest of us to negotiate our way into the away end terrace. Hopeless! "Sorry it's past half-time".

Until, of course, we found a steward who took the view that for ten quid, cash in hand, he knew where the bloke with a key could be found. And, lo ... That's how we saw a very uninspiring Albion performance that ended in a one-nil defeat. At least we missed Trolley's goal.

Ray Bloom, btw.

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've had the same thing. Got delayed due to London trains. Ended up cycling to the ground and got there just after half time. They wouldn't let me in. Wasn't happy.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I've arrived late on a couple of away trips over the last few years and experienced no problems whatsoever getting in..can't for the life of me think why the club (especially as as you are a home supporter) wouldn't let you in.

Jan 30, 2008
I've arrived late on a couple of away trips over the last few years and experienced no problems whatsoever getting in..can't for the life of me think why the club (especially as as you are a home supporter) wouldn't let you in.

I've left at half time with no problem if that's of any help:shrug:
regards
DR

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
A older season ticket holder next to me gets to the game well after half time on 50%+ occasions (believe it or not!), and he never had any problems.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
A older season ticket holder next to me gets to the game well after half time on 50%+ occasions (believe it or not!), and he never had any problems.

He probably speaks to the right person or a decent steward, maybe the OP picked the wrong person to talk to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here