Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Referee (Officials)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Saw and heard it from the North stand. looked 50/50 to me and the Newport player looked to go in harder. Just an unfortunate injury.

Ref was a donkey all night.

Same as, in NS. I genuinely thought that Calde got to the ball first and the Newport player was late and came off worse. I think if a red had to be dished out, then the Newport player would get it.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
Just watched a replay on SSN. Looked 50:50 in real time at the game in W1F row L but if you slow it down on TV the Newport player gets the ball first, just. Calde challenge certainly didn't look malicious though - looked like two players going for the ball. The ref didn't call it. In fact it looked like the fourth official did because the ref called him over to talk to him and the lino. And the noise was definitely shinpad.

Oh, and we were very poor tonight. Very poor.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I thought referees were meant to pass fitness tests? The fat ******* in charge barely managed to move out of the centre circle the whole game. He was like a glorified Sunday league referee.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Calde won ball, other player came flying in? Should have been a red to the Newport player but obviously didn't have the balls to send off an injured player.

That's how I saw it from the east. Reckless from the Newport player. I thought the referee was OK otherwise. He penalised Newport quite a lot. Calde looked like he had the ball but was too slow. The Newport player was further away but quicker. He made it a 50-50.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I thought referees were meant to pass fitness tests? The fat ******* in charge barely managed to move out of the centre circle the whole game. He was like a glorified Sunday league referee.

I don't know how these fat old codgers continue to be chosen to referee games. They should have to pass medicals to the same standard as players IMO.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Probably the worst red card decision since beckfords for Leicester down here, or barnes v burnley.

Maybe he was making up for his previous visit to the Amex. He was the ref for the Gillingham Cup game in August 2011. He booked 10 players (3 Albion, 7 Gills) but perhaps his biggest decision was failing to send off the Gillingham substitute Stefan Payne for a bad tackle from behind on Romain Vincelot. The Albion players were so incensed at the challenge, Ankergren and Greer were booked for their protests.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Maybe he was making up for his previous visit to the Amex. He was the ref for the Gillingham Cup game in August 2011. He booked 10 players (3 Albion, 7 Gills) but perhaps his biggest decision was failing to send off the Gillingham substitute Stefan Payne for a bad tackle from behind on Romain Vincelot. The Albion players were so incensed at the challenge, Ankergren and Greer were booked for their protests.

Didn't realise it was the same ref. He had an absolute shocker that game too, how he didn't send the Gillingham player off I still don't know. As for yesterday he spoke to both the lino and the 4th official before showing the red so who knows what they all saw. From where I was in block G WSL the only player deserving of a card for that challenge was theirs.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I thought it was very noble of the linesman on the East side to try and deflect the flak from the ref, by waving his flag every three seconds whenever we tried to attack. Wondered if they were both trying to go for a Crap Decision of the Night award.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here