Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Redknapp's post-match comments - in denial?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What game were you watching.

They were miles better than us.
They are a better version of us control possession but run out of ideas in the final third.

I don't think they were miles better. They were good, but not that good. They looked like a bunch of lately assembled cheque book charlies.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
To be fair, they did always look like scoring - we got lucky a couple of times and may well have conceded 2 or 3 on another day.

But we didn't.

We (AGAIN) conceeded zero goals and scored. Bootiful.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To be fair, they did always look like scoring - we got lucky a couple of times and may well have conceded 2 or 3 on another day.

But we didn't.

We (AGAIN) conceeded zero goals and scored. Bootiful.

I'm not sure that they looked like scoring really. They came close from distance but didn't create a single clear cut chance. The problem they've got is that their leading scorer is out, their only other competent striker (Doyle) is out too, and they have a barn door loanee from Man Utd leading the line, and he is utter gash.

And as an aside, I'd be well pissed off following a side like QPR where players like Joey Barton are clearly too good for this level but joke around with refs and revel in pantomime villain status. And the rest of their players swan around giving 95% and acting like the Harem Globe Trotters.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
If Harry thinks it's "good" to offer the opposition two tap-ins in the six yard box without a defender anywhere near the scoring player, he's off his chump. We defended very well for 90 minutes, they went to sleep twice and got punished for it. You could almost call us clinical last night...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm not sure that they looked like scoring really. They came close from distance but didn't create a single clear cut chance. The problem they've got is that their leading scorer is out, their only other competent striker (Doyle) is out too, and they have a barn door loanee from Man Utd leading the line, and he is utter gash.

And as an aside, I'd be well pissed off following a side like QPR where players like Joey Barton are clearly too good for this level but joke around with refs and revel in pantomime villain status. And the rest of their players swan around giving 95% and acting like the Harem Globe Trotters.

I couldn't agree more, I noticed that without the ball their work rate was flat, and there is an air of showboating about. Also completely agree with you about anyone quoting the chances stats: I thought we got in some great positions that unfortunately didn't result in a shot, whereas they were happy to shoot from 30 yards on numerous occasions.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Credit to our lot, we defended superbly and took our chances. This defensive record of ours is no fluke, we really are an excellent defensive unit as a team.

Also, Harry's at the "having to make excuses" point now because he's about 25 points off where that team should be.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"I thought that was as good as we've played all season...for 80 minutes we completely controlled and dominated the game, it was like there was only one team in it, I don't think Rob Green's had a shot to save, it was...you know... we just couldn't score."

Pretty accurate.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Full marks to OG and his coaches they got the tactics dead right and the subs produced when called upon. But a special bit of praise to Buckley, it was hard going v their l/back but he stuck at it and in the end him and Bruno found the answer.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I was listening on the radio, and you can usually get a feel for how much a team may be 'dominating' a game. There weren't too many moments when the commentators raised their voices to accompany close chances, apart from when we scored of course. QPR May have had a load of shots but, based on Johnny Cantor's screech-o-meter, none of them really troubled PIG.

In his book, Redknapp complains that the QPR team that went down last year were a team of billy big bollocks, who were just going through the motions, and he vowed to turn that around. He doesn't seem to be doing very well! If they don't go up this year they are right in the sh1t

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Tbf they bossed the midfield and defended pretty well. We played more like the away team, digging in and looking for the break. But they didn't have a striker on the pitch, that I could see. The guy furthest forward was of the chocolate teapot variety. I know BZ can't really run anymore, but if they had him to hold it up, win a few headers and lay offs I suspect they would have done us.

We defend well, but because we are so deep, there is too much room for decent midfield players to pass through us. Both Reading and QPR have done this, although it was obviously made a lot easier for Reading once Greer departed.

Don't get me wrong, I loved that we did them with 2 decent goals. But let's not kid ourselves, if Harry had found a striker it might have been very different. Bolton have some quality midfielders too and I would like to see us play a slightly higher line, which is more feasible if Dunk plays as he's quicker than Greer.

PG

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
'Arry in my book is not a good manager....every club he goes too he just spends money in bundles on any player who is doing well at the time,hate to think what their wage bill is.....anyway....justice prevailed.

Well said. Harry is a manager who just spends and spends. It has worked in the past but look what happened to Portsmouth. Can't imagine he ever has a chat with the chairman about bringing through youth.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Most of QPR's attempts were hopeful shots outside the box, and the ones they got on target were soft and straight at Koosh. Considering the ref was their 12th man handing free kicks left right and centre I am not surprised that they had the opportunity for more shots.

I never felt the need to chew my nails in this game and it was only a couple of times that I felt we could have conceded because we were hard to break down and we were fairly solid at the back.

Not to mention denying us free kicks left, right and centre. I enjoyed applauding our first one in the 44th minute.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Credit to our lot, we defended superbly and took our chances. This defensive record of ours is no fluke, we really are an excellent defensive unit as a team.

Also, Harry's at the "having to make excuses" point now because he's about 25 points off where that team should be.

Spot on. I had them down as dead certs for walking away with it. And this was at the beginning of the season. Before 'Arry signed up another mercenary, and then another, and then another, ... Morrison is a sublime player though.

stugbhafc1

Stuie G
Aug 4, 2011
Southwick
How many of their 21 shots were long-range efforts that either went wide or were comfortably saved? They had very few clear cut chances and PIG was never at full stretch. Moreover, it shows a lack of respect for us and the fact they've not managed a goal again us in 3 hrs of football.

Exactly right could not have put it better

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here