Haywards Heath
In case nobody has had the foresight to mention it (and I paraphrase)":

Roy Keane "Oy ref, if I call you a **** will you send me off?"
Ref "Obviously"
RK "If I think you're a **** will you send me off"
Ref "Well I can't do anything about what you think"
RK "In that case, I think you're a ****"

Red card :lolol:

My youngest son said that to his tutor at college and was suspended.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Good job Tony Adams has retired. Every word that came out of his mouth was an obcenity towards the referee. But having read his autobiography, half the time he was pissed.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
I think most refs will understand when a player says s*** or f*** in exasperation, as opposed to swearing AT the ref.

The idea of more and more red cards does worry me a bit - I like to see 11 v. 11, and not have the spectacle spoilt by players being sent off. Perhaps it's time for another sort of card - an orange one, perhaps - which means "Miss the next game". If players didn't learn quickly and get the point, they could potentially acquire several of these in oe game, thus earning themselves a lengthy period of kicking their heels and reflecting on their stupidity. Not to mention incurring the wrath of their manager!
Agreed ! MOST refs will ! but .....

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
There was a Wycombe player sent off for swearing at a lino - Boxing Day about 13 years ago. He chose to mouth off just as the crowd went quiet so it was particularly obvious

Bloody nora your'e right it was Mark Rogers when we beat them 4-0 on boxing day 03-04 season , he got a 2nd yellow for protesting the 1st one

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I so hope this filters down to County League Football, the way in which players speak to officials is appalling and I'm amazed the refs don't do anything. Last season I heard many players directly tell the ref to F*** off or something similar yet no action was taken.

D

Deleted member 2719

This is so open to bent refs or deaf refs f**king up (sorry ref) matches and costing clubs potential millions.

I was sent off in the 94 minute once just because some Ref RECKONED he heard me swear, i hadn't been spoken to all game and all i said was "you are joking ref" after running a mile to get the ball and then he gave the decision the other way (the wrong decision i may add). Mind you after walking off the pitch he got a few #*********# wound into him.

I was fined , suspended and unable to appeal.

Refs will need to where microphones to keep in legit.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Mate of mine gave up playing Saturday League footy when a ref lied about what he'd said to him, plain and simple. Ref said he called him a b*****d in a one-to-one conversation, so there was no doubt what had been said and who'd said it. He'd done no such thing and refused to pay the fine - again, no right of appeal - so never played again. Would hope the refs at the higher levels would realise there are cameras trained on every face so everybody will be able to establish what's been said after the fact and this won't happen.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Mate of mine gave up playing Saturday League footy when a ref lied about what he'd said to him, plain and simple. Ref said he called him a b*****d in a one-to-one conversation, so there was no doubt what had been said and who'd said it. He'd done no such thing and refused to pay the fine - again, no right of appeal - so never played again. Would hope the refs at the higher levels would realise there are cameras trained on every face so everybody will be able to establish what's been said after the fact and this won't happen.

Your mate should have accepted the decision though. If it's his word against the ref, the League would have to go with the ref's, it's anarchy otherwise. Mistakes happen - all refs are human - and players have to accept them.

I've not played football at a very high level but I've played rugby and cricket and in these sports, the ref/umpire's decision is sacrosanct - no matter how bad. I've had a couple of shockers given against me but there's nothing that can be done when that happens. I coach a team of young cricketers and we drum into them that they have to accept any decisions (and the coaches at my kids' rugby teams do the same), it makes for a better sport.

I do hope the FA stick to the red card rule - I'm sure some innocent people will suffer (but very few, there aren't that many mistakes) but in the long run football will benefit

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
If it had been a mistake, Gwylan, if he'd thought the ref misheard him for example, he'd have reluctantly coughed up. But when the ref lies in his report, it calls your own honour into question as well as the integrity of the ref. You're right, the league is going to side with the ref to stop anarchy, but for my mate it went way beyond that - it was, as I said, for him a matter of his own honour so he just knocked it on the head.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here