Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Red cards for swearing at referees...

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I don't hate the idea, but presumably Kayal would have been sent off for swearing when Barton stamped on him. The refs will think they're being sworn at sometimes when the player was just swearing in general - we could see some farcical outcomes.

Why should it be just swearing at ref.....Obviously if someone hurt and shouts F..king shit refs, will or should use common sense..Personally I`m not keen on Fans swearing at Lino or ref but some will say all part of football.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Most of the players in the Premier League will be swearing in a foreign language. Do refs know the Polish or Swedish for "bast*rd"?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Foul and abusive language was a sending off offence thirty years ago when I was reffing. What's the differnece between that and offensive language?
Indeed, when I was playing in the 1970s people were often sent off for saying things like "F**king hell ref!" Although I noticed that this wasn't the case when my son was playing about a decade ago.

Anyway, it reminds me of that, possibly apocryphal, Jimmy Greaves story. Something had happened in a game and Greaves marched up to the ref
"What would you do if I called you a f****** c***" he asked.
"Well I'd send you off obviously for using foul and abusive language" the ref replied.
"What if I just thought it?"
"That's fine, you can think what you like."
"Ok, I think your a f****** c***!"

The ref apparently just laughed!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Why should it be just swearing at ref.....Obviously if someone hurt and shouts F..king shit refs, will or should use common sense..Personally I`m not keen on Fans swearing at Lino or ref but some will say all part of football.

This just makes me think of parents at kids football.

Probably some of the worst examples I've seen.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
[h=3]Offences which could earn players a yellow card[/h]
  • Visibly disrespectful behaviour to any match official;
  • An aggressive response to decisions;
  • Confronting an official face to face;
  • Running towards an official to contest a decision;
  • Offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures towards match officials;
  • Physical contact with any match official in a non-aggressive manner;
  • A yellow card for at least one player when two or more from a team surround a match official.
[h=3]New red card offences[/h]
  • If a player confronts match officials and uses offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures towards them;
  • Physical contact with match officials in an aggressive or confrontational manner.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This red card idea was mooted but withdrawn around the time of Euro 1996 when the FA were accused of restraint of trade by solicitors acting for German international Steffan Kvntz.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I seem to remember Dean Wilkins getting sent off first game of the season at Orient for swearing at the ref.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It will last one, maybe two weeks.

A ref will send a player off and get zero backing from the FA/League and that will be that.

Seen this before

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
When was the last time a Brighton player got sent off for swearing? I'm guessing Ashley Barnes would have been the culprit but the last time I can remember for sure was Taricco disputing the Southampton penalty that was so far outside the area that we could see it up the other end of the pitch in the away end.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Long overdue this new law, hopefully it'll filter down to parks football where some of the abuse that referees have to put up with is horrendous.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I've long advocated the introduction of the way rugby style whereby only the Captain is allowed to interact with the referee. If a player has an issue then he speaks to the captain and the captain speaks to the ref. Instant booking for any other player speaking to the ref.

its not difficult is it, what with having a working solution to go by. as said above the sight of the ref being hounded is not a good one. has it ever made a ref change his mind?

on a similar vein need a campaign to apply rules on holding too. as much as i loved El-Abd's mastery of the this, at least he was subtle. now adays its rugby tackles going unpunished and makes set pieces highly confrontational.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Premire League , EFL , and FA launch new behaviour rules

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36844570

Not before time , bit daft you can get slung out of the ground for using abusive language and given a banning order when it goes on all the time on the pitch , thing is will the refs enforce it or just a few making it just a waste of bloody ******* time . Cant remember the last player i saw get sent off for saying naughty words can you ?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Rooney might as well retire now :lolol:

Seriously though, wouldn't it be great if they had a similar campaign against holding in the penalty area. For me that has ruined a whole aspect of the game - much more so than swearing at effing referees!

SAC

May 21, 2014
It's about time that refs upheld the rules, it just needs to be consistent, both against both teams in a match and between one ref and the next.

Be prepared for message-boards up and down the country filling up with fans saying that the ref should have shown common sense and let x off with a warning. It is, always, someone else's fault.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
When was the last time a Brighton player got sent off for swearing? I'm guessing Ashley Barnes would have been the culprit but the last time I can remember for sure was Taricco disputing the Southampton penalty that was so far outside the area that we could see it up the other end of the pitch in the away end.

I believe word was that Taricco wasn't sent off for swearing, but for repeatedly intimating that the referee was crooked and Southampton had paid him to give decisions their way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here