Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Record three successive sell outs

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There are obviously SOME, but 'several thousand' is overstating it. For the Norwich match, by example, the actual (bums on seats) attendance was 27,600 (against 29,400 announced). Impressive figures regardless. Basically, it means that 1 in 11 STHs missed the game. Which in turn extrapolates to each STH missing two games per season - fair enough, frankly.

What is your point?

(Feel free to take that as a specific or general question)

Interesting that, I was wondering what the missing STHs typically amounted to. 1 in 10 or so sounds about right with illness, other commitments etc. Doubt it's any different than any other club. Of that small %, there will be plenty who can't be arsed to pass their tickets on to anyone else so there will always be a couple of thousand empty seats. It's hardly 'fraud', and the ground is a 'sellout' - all tickets sold. It's not that difficult to grasp (but it won't stop endless threads on it)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
My guess is that it comes down to the definition of sellout. My suspicion is that the game is officially a sellout as soon as no more pairs of tickets remain unsold. Realistically, anything over 29,500 at the Amex should be considered a sellout .

A bit of this plus segregation, etc.

Very impressed by Huddersfields averages, though I guess they get some huge away followings too.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
When you're being told that 's the audience actually experiencing your advertising or your sponsorship, most certainly.

Oh give it a rest. I take it you don't visit many away games? It happens up and down the country, one of the most comical recently is the 49k announced at St.James.

Do you want us to be the only club to announce punters through the gates?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Where were those punters at Withdean and Gillingham.

JCLs the lot of them, they were probably in their armchairs watching Arsenal,Chelsea and Man U.:whistle:

I know you're (at least half) joking, but I know several people who are now at least semi-regular attendees who weren't even interested in football prior to the Amex era.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know you're (at least half) joking, but I know several people who are now at least semi-regular attendees who weren't even interested in football prior to the Amex era.

How VERY DARE THEY spend their money on tickets and beer, and potentially become long term supporters.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Hey Wardy, it's tongue in cheek, i am now in the family scene and don't want to miss the kids growing up so taking some time out myself.

But what does piss me off a bit is the fans who only support a club by going when they are doing well, so materialistic IMO, i just don't get it.

That's partly true but success gets people off their arses and brings them to matches. Players like Knockeart gets people off their arses and brings them to matches. Optimism for some success gets people off their arses and brings them to matches.

You don't buy your milk from a shop where the milk is out of date. You want the nice fresh stuff and that's the kind of football being served up 80% of the time now so that's whats bringing the fans out. Also older fans who lose interest at a certain age are bringing their kids to matches because we have player that their kids can idolise, so that brings some people back as well

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Oh give it a rest. I take it you don't visit many away games?
Around 50 of the 92 so far. But carry on...

Do you want us to be the only club to announce punters through the gates?
Yes. The size of the crowd is a key measure of genuine, attending support - the heartbeat of any club. The rest is of interest only to accountants. And perhaps, in time, the fraud squad.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Family commitments stopped me watching the Albion and once you don't go regularly you just drop off the scene. Withdean never did it for me - no atmosphere and could not see the game play as i like to be high up. Family have grown, the AMEX is much more accessible and so got back into going and got a season ticket the second year there.

So JCL is not an apt description more I went on a 20 year Sabbatical like a lot of those who now attend.

I really don't think you should bemoan the new levels of support, they may not have your level of commitment but they are bums on seats putting money into the club.

Sorry thats a pretty poor excuse. Not to even to go once or twice a season when the club really needed the support.

Either way it shouldn't stop you from going now just dont like hearing poor excuses.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
There are obviously SOME, but 'several thousand' is overstating it. For the Norwich match, by example, the actual (bums on seats) attendance was 27,600 (against 29,400 announced). Impressive figures regardless. Basically, it means that 1 in 11 STHs missed the game. Which in turn extrapolates to each STH missing two games per season - fair enough, frankly.

What is your point?

(Feel free to take that as a specific or general question)
Where is that figure from please?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Dirty Leeds (even on a televised Friday) QPR, Wednesday and the Toon should bring substantial support although I suspect that Cardiff at the year end will spoil the run of away numbers.
Are QPR (12:30) and Cardiff (Fri PM) also being televised?

withdean had a fan database of 26k I believe
Yet the place was rarely sold out, as I remember, yet Barber appears to cite this as the main reason:
This shows the great progress the club is making, and is testament to the loyalty of our hardcore supporters, their children and grandchildren and our new and returning supporters who perhaps found it difficult to support the team at the limited-capacity Withdean.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Around 50 of the 92 so far. But carry on...

Yes. The size of the crowd is a key measure of genuine, attending support - the heartbeat of any club. The rest is of interest only to accountants. And perhaps, in time, the fraud squad.

Cant see the fraud squad being interested in football clubs declaring the number of tickets sold for a game being as its a factually correct figure its the figure a club will base stewarding levels on as its the number that could potentially arrive at the ground with the right to gain access having paid. Now if it was the other way round and the club were declaring attendance of 14000 and banking receipts from around 30000 i could understand the big issue

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
withdean had a fan database of 26k I believe

yes although i always thought it was 25K (we won't argue over a 1000).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Cardiff setup nicely for all day drinking prematch as part of the Christmas / New Year holidays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here