Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Realistic Transfer Targets

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
no chance we wont spend 2 million on a player....pboro will probably get more than that for him.

CMS is 27 already, I think 2 million was too much, a panic buy to try and secure promotion.

I think he'll be in the 1.2 to 1.5m region and would be a great partner for Murray.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
great player,but he is their higest wage earner,we have no chance

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Darren Ambrose.

Would give a few people on here a problem but would be an immense signing - exactly what we need to complement and enhance our midfield.
Unfortunately he has two years left on his contract having chosen CPFC over QPR last summer and I don't think they are under any pressure to sell so, realistically, I cannot see any way it would happen.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
We need to sign players with something to prove rather than old timers like Kevin Phillips and washed out League One players who will not take us to The Premiership.

Next season we want to be competing at the top of The Championship (ala 1978 to 1979). We don't want to be signing League One and Championship players who will provide us with a mid table Championship finish.

We need to sign premiership squad plays who are technically gifted with commitment and great attitudes, who have for one reason or another have just not had the opportunity to play a lot of games in The Premiership. People like Elliott Bennet who we bought from from Wolves at a reasonable fee, Liam Bridcutt who we got for nothing after being released from Chelsea. A player like Lua Lua who we can probably pick up for a reasonable fee from Newcastle. There are plenty more players like these ones who we we can pick up from top Premiership sides who are gagging for first team opportunities to prove themseves.

Lets go for promotion next year rather than consolidation and mediocrity.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
We need to sign players with something to prove rather than old timers like Kevin Phillips and washed out League One players who will not take us to The Premiership.

Next season we want to be competing at the top of The Championship (ala 1978 to 1979). We don't want to be signing League One and Championship players who will provide us with a mid table Championship finish.

We need to sign premiership squad plays who are technically gifted with commitment and great attitudes, who have for one reason or another have just not had the opportunity to play a lot of games in The Premiership. People like Elliott Bennet who we bought from from Wolves at a reasonable fee, Liam Bridcutt who we got for nothing after being released from Chelsea. A player like Lua Lua who we can probably pick up for a reasonable fee from Newcastle. There are plenty more players like these ones who we we can pick up from top Premiership sides who are gagging for first team opportunities to prove themseves.

not much to disagree with there.

Don't entirely discount the hungry young players lower down and overseas though.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

Agree with a lot of that - not so much about how we don't want mid-table next season, but about the type of players we are wanting.

Saturday against Wednesday is a case in point. Most people on here would have been pretty pleased if we'd picked up Mellor or Morrison pre-season, but as we saw our "nobodies" (as some Wed fans on their forum have labelled them) have turned out to be way better. I'm happy picking up foreigners that I've never heard of, good league one players that we've seen this season and any youngsters Poyet finds.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

Also agree with most of this. However if you pick up the right, experenced players (i.e Kish) who still want to play the game and would still play because of their love of the game and not because of a pay cheque. Then they are as important as a talented eager youngster. Phillips may be 36 and in the twilight of his career but I for one think he would be a great signing for a season. They way we create chances he would fill his boots with goals imho.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
The best experienced player we ever picked up in my opinion was Frank Worthington. Great ex England player with the deft flicks and touches. But we didn't get promoted.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Presuming Preston are going down, what about Ian Hume?

Has got pace and skill and seems to have recovered from Morgan's assault of a few years ago.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Presuming Preston are going down, what about Ian Hume?

Has got pace and skill and seems to have recovered from Morgan's assault of a few years ago.

V good striker with a proven championship scoring record. Definitely a player Gus has had scouted before as well. Scored a wonder goal a couple of weeks back.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Ched Evans a young striker with immense potential, Wales international. Sheffield United going down and I reckon 1 - 1.5 million would seal the deal.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Ched Evans a young striker with immense potential, Wales international. Sheffield United going down and I reckon 1 - 1.5 million would seal the deal.

4 seasons playing experience age 22 - averages 6 goals a season / less than 1 goal every 4 games

They paid £3m for him but even at half price I can think of better places to spend that sort of money

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Spot on, hence my initial post of Lua Lua for a fee and Nile Ranger on loan for the season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here