Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading v Brighton – Home fans’ Chat

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
I've just watched Brian McDermott's interview, what a thoroughly decent fellow he is.

The Reading rivalry is a strange one, it reminds me of the thing we've got going with Southampton now. We've never really been big rivals, but when we were both going for the championship 2001/02 it got quite heated for a bit. I feel its settled down again, since we haven't played for so long, but it should make for a decent atmosphere on Monday, especially being a Boxing Day game.

My main Reading related memory, was watching Bremner playing for you and then having him arrive (out of the blue) at the Goldstone the following season. He was a good player and formed a decent partnership with Garry Nelson, as he had done with Trevor Senior at Reading. I wonder what he's doing now?

There was an article on Kev Bremner in one of the programmes recently
Think he is a general builder if i remember correctly
Refuses to brown nose people just to get a job back in football
Made me smile that did
Im sure someone can put said article up on here

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
In the mid-70s, in another life, I produced a poster for Royal Mail featuring the Albion. The headline was "Seagulls soar over BN3 7DE" and it featured a game at the Goldstone against Port Vale. It went down pretty well - people were nicking them off the sides of mail vans - and Reading asked for their own version so I went up to Elm Park one midweek morning.

As a I remember, the main stand backed on to a road, like the West Stand at BN3 7DE, and was clad in corrugated iron. Right down at one end was an elderly man up a ladder. He had a pot of blue paint and was painting the cladding in the house colour using a not-exactly-large brush. I asked the club's commercial guy about this heroic effort and he explained that the gent was a lifelong fan, now retired, who was painting the stand as a gesture of support for the club he had followed for 60 years. He wasn't charging.

Six weeks later I returned with a supply of posters. The man on the ladder was still there, but right down the other end of the stand, which was now a pretty strident blue. He'd been there every day for almost the whole summer.

From this I learnt one thing. To its supporters each club is the best club in the world but for this same reason no one should claim that other clubs are second rate. However successful, rich or well-supported a club is, it is no better than any other. It is just a matter of opinion and the postcode of the person speaking's maternity hospital. That needn't reduce the passion we have for our own club, but it should increase the respect we have for others'. Thank you, elderly Reading gent of 35 years ago.
Excellent story, LI, and so very true.

Right, B&Q have a very good offer on blue gloss. If you do the East Stand arch, I'll do the West.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
You'll get bloody raped in a minute if you don't stop slagging off everything Brighton related. I'll handcuff you to the railings and dukes mound and stick a sign on your back reading "£1 a go".

If he talks as much shit down there, as he does on here Woodchip, you'll have to put the price down by at least half.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Not true

1,Palace
2,Pompey

These 2 there is genuine beef with

Everyone else the hate comes and go's . We had a brief hate fling with Reading when we beat them to the title , thats it
Yep, and their manager made some silly comments I seem to remember. Sounds familiar.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
There was an article on Kev Bremner in one of the programmes recently
Think he is a general builder if i remember correctly
Refuses to brown nose people just to get a job back in football
Made me smile that did
Im sure someone can put said article up on here
He's now 54 years old.....where has the time gone!

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Im expecting us to win this game as our performances have improved even though our disciplinary record hasnt, i have put the bet on us with the kind bookies odds, yes reading in good form but we are a pretty decent away team, i think we will win 3-1, Lua Lua, Noone and Mackell smith.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
As I've just said, thanks for positive comments, and what would be great for us on Royals Rendezvous (as always, here in peace!) would be to have a few one-liner comments on –

What are the strongest areas of the squad, and how do they click together?
Who thshould we specially look out for / fear most of your squad?
Are you happy with your season so far?
How strong do you see the championship this season?
Realistically now after nearly half season played, where do you hope to finish if all goes well?

Cheers,
daib0

(A reminder of our match thread: Reading v Brighton MATCH THREAD [26/12/2011] - always welcome fans of both teams)

Strongest area - depends which team turn up but we are definitely stronger going forward than defending and CMS does not stop running in a good way
Special - would be Vicente but always injured likewise many of our better attacking options are in and out of the treatment room but Bridcutt can control the midfield and Buckley can and has turned games
Championship - very even no real outstanding team West Sham were poor at the Amex
Happy so far I reckon close to where we are now 10th-12th

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
In addition the discipline thing is a strange one and a point of frustration for all here we are not a dirty team and have no nut cases in the so I think there are a number of reasons -
naive in this league and getting tricked/wound up by experience championship players.
Teams press us to try and stop the passing game which leads to more last ditch tackles
Woeful referees on numourous occasions
Now got a reputation so refs are after us
Gus does tend to wind up officials

---
I am here: Google Maps

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
What are the strongest areas of the squad, and how do they click together? Probably our wingers, when they are all fit I doubt there are a better set in the Championship than Noone, Lualua, Buckley and Vicente. All match winners in their own right
Who thshould we specially look out for / fear most of your squad? CMS-pace, work rate, and sharp in front of goal. A light weight Steve Bull
Are you happy with your season so far? Yes and no. Happy with our position, but not so chuffed about losing to palace and the shite referee's we seem to get EVERY week
How strong do you see the championship this season?Not as strong as I thought it would be at the start of the season. I couldn't see where we would get a point, but to be honest some of the lower teams in this league are no stronger than top 6 league 1
Realistically now after nearly half season played, where do you hope to finish if all goes well? Top half would be a massive achievement, I'll go for a conservative 14th

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
In addition the discipline thing is a strange one and a point of frustration for all here we are not a dirty team and have no nut cases in the so I think there are a number of reasons -
naive in this league and getting tricked/wound up by experience championship players.
Teams press us to try and stop the passing game which leads to more last ditch tackles
Woeful referees on numourous occasions
Now got a reputation so refs are after us
Gus does tend to wind up officials

---
I am here: Google Maps

You missed Burnley then? A punch and a stamp within 10 minutes, then the assistant manager gets booked for dissent. Absolutely NOT a dirty team at all.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Were Reading seen as friendly rivals in the 1950's and 1960's ? We've only hated Palace since the early 1970's who are our only bitter rivals

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here