Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Reading?

We don't have 3rd rivals-
Palace 1st
Pompey 2nd

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
In the mid-70s, in another life, I produced a poster for Royal Mail featuring the Albion. The headline was "Seagulls soar over BN3 7DE" and it featured a game at the Goldstone against Port Vale. It went down pretty well - people were nicking them off the sides of mail vans - and Reading asked for their own version so I went up to Elm Park one midweek morning.

As a I remember, the main stand backed on to a road, like the West Stand at BN3 7DE, and was clad in corrugated iron. Right down at one end was an elderly man up a ladder. He had a pot of blue paint and was painting the cladding in the house colour using a not-exactly-large brush. I asked the club's commercial guy about this heroic effort and he explained that the gent was a lifelong fan, now retired, who was painting the stand as a gesture of support for the club he had followed for 60 years. He wasn't charging.

Six weeks later I returned with a supply of posters. The man on the ladder was still there, but right down the other end of the stand, which was now a pretty strident blue. He'd been there every day for almost the whole summer.

From this I learnt one thing. To its supporters each club is the best club in the world but for this same reason no one should claim that other clubs are second rate. However successful, rich or well-supported a club is, it is no better than any other. It is just a matter of opinion and the postcode of the person speaking's maternity hospital. That needn't reduce the passion we have for our own club, but it should increase the respect we have for others'. Thank you, elderly Reading gent of 35 years ago.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Sorry to say I think you are going to be disappointed judging by the score predictions we seem to have turned the corner with leaking silly goals and I have the feeling last weeks 9 man heroics will be a pivotal point in our development so don't be surprised to see a marked improvement in our performance.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
In the mid-70s, in another life, I produced a poster for Royal Mail featuring the Albion. The headline was "Seagulls soar over BN3 7DE" and it featured a game at the Goldstone against Port Vale. It went down pretty well - people were nicking them off the sides of mail vans - and Reading asked for their own version so I went up to Elm Park one midweek morning.

As a I remember, the main stand backed on to a road, like the West Stand at BN3 7DE, and was clad in corrugated iron. Right down at one end was an elderly man up a ladder. He had a pot of blue paint and was painting the cladding in the house colour using a not-exactly-large brush. I asked the club's commercial guy about this heroic effort and he explained that the gent was a lifelong fan, now retired, who was painting the stand as a gesture of support for the club he had followed for 60 years. He wasn't charging.

Six weeks later I returned with a supply of posters. The man on the ladder was still there, but right down the other end of the stand, which was now a pretty strident blue. He'd been there every day for almost the whole summer.

From this I learnt one thing. To its supporters each club is the best club in the world but for this same reason no one should claim that other clubs are second rate. However successful, rich or well-supported a club is, it is no better than any other. It is just a matter of opinion and the postcode of the person speaking's maternity hospital. That needn't reduce the passion we have for our own club, but it should increase the respect we have for others'. Thank you, elderly Reading gent of 35 years ago.

I bought one of those posters from the main post office in Worthing - I've probably still got it up in the loft with all the rest of my 70's memorabilia!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

I've got mine framed and am looking at it right now. Ward, Morgan and who else on the photo?

daib0

Nov 20, 2011
Spain - England
Amazing responses from your site. Fantastic, the best I’ve had all season up to now from any club, and much appreciated. With your permission nearly all should go onto our Match Thread.
I’ll try to make brief comments to as many as possible!:

Mustafa Kemal – you may be right, I’ve got a lot of respect for your manager. May the best win on the day!

BHAFC_AMEX / Barrel of Fun / Chris_Highwind - well, this is where I picked up that info:
Sporting Life - Football Statistics | Football Transfers, Premier League News, Fixtures, Results, Match Reports, Stats I haven’t received complaints up to now, but don’t put your own figures in doubt …

Various – yep, seems that Palace is the only reliable rival nowadays!!

North Stand Nutter – agreed, he’s (Brian McD) really nice, buts gets slated for being boring! But he’s housed RFC apprentices/young players in his OWN house without even charging anything for rent – tells you something about the man!

Lincoln Imp – wonderful story, and it’s great to share that with RR members.

SeagullSongs – thanks for that, really! Remember that we’re not even one year old yet, a large group of us left the BBC 606 ‘cos of pointless wum-ming and multiple identities etc. (that’s before their closure news was announced). There is a nice core group, but I’ve seen to it that ours is also a reference site. A third of a million hits/views, 1,000 threads, and 20,000 posts in 11 months is pretty OK, but I admit we have to still build up the regular member lists … but we're on route!

Thanks so much once again for your input everyone …

daib0

Nov 20, 2011
Spain - England
As I've just said, thanks for positive comments, and what would be great for us on Royals Rendezvous (as always, here in peace!) would be to have a few one-liner comments on –

What are the strongest areas of the squad, and how do they click together?
Who should we specially look out for / fear most of your squad?
Are you happy with your season so far?
How strong do you see the championship this season?
Realistically now after nearly half season played, where do you hope to finish if all goes well?

Cheers,
daib0

(A reminder of our match thread: Reading v Brighton MATCH THREAD [26/12/2011] - always welcome fans of both teams)

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
As I've just said, thanks for positive comments, and what would be great for us on Royals Rendezvous (as always, here in peace!) would be to have a few one-liner comments on –

Realistically now after nearly half season played, where do you hope to finish if all goes well?

Cheers,
daib0

(A reminder of our match thread: Reading v Brighton MATCH THREAD [26/12/2011] - always welcome fans of both teams)

What are the strongest areas of the squad, and how do they click together?- Wingers- Buckley, Noone and LuaLua are all very good at this level. Back 4 of Dunk, Greer, Taricco and El-Abd are exceptional
Who should we specially look out for / fear most of your squad?-- Vicente is the best player in this league when fit. However he isn't and may never be. So probably Craig Noone is the one to watch
Are you happy with your season so far?-- Pretty pleased, though maybe slightly more downbeat than we should be considering the start we made.
How strong do you see the championship this season?-- There are no outstanding teams and no awful teams so the competition is incredible. However our own assistant manager who also still plays seems to think the actual quality of the division isn't amazing
Realistically now after nearly half season played, where do you hope to finish if all goes well? If all goes well then maybe 5th or 6th. Though 8th to 10th is more realistic.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
2-2 cms & lua lua

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

Greer bosses the back-line and Liam Bridcutt pulls the strings in the centre- both are instrumental in the way that we play.
Buckley, Noone and LuaLua on the wings are unplayable on their day. Also, Craig Mackail-Smith- give him one sniff at a chance and he'll be all over it like a dog eating hot chips
Definitely. We started strongly and began to fade away a bit, but I think our position at the moment is very credible and I'd be delighted if we were there come May-time.
I don't think there is much of a difference between most of the teams in the league. Anyone can beat anyone on their day, and as Reading proved last season, you can leave your promotion charge right 'til the end of the season and you're still in with a shout. Consistency is the key, which is why Leicester, despite having one of the strongest squads in the league, aren't exactly setting the league on fire.

A play-off place would be incredible, but I'd be more than happy with mid-table mediocrity this season. I think this is very much a settling-in season for us- I'm hoping that we will acclimatise to the Championship this season and will be in good stead to make a charge for promotion next season.

Cheers,
daib0

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Some right bloody pessimists on here in terms of the result! 27-0 to the Albion - Bridcutt(2), CMS(14), Tarricco(10), Ankergren(1)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here