Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading Players rejected to Paulo Di Canio being their Manager

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Thought the Guardian's take on this was interesting today. Dave Hytner, who is very good and would have checked this with Poyet's agent, said that he was "slighted by Brighton's readiness to grant Reading the permission to talk to him and, potentially, seek a compensation pay-out of around £2.5m for the remaining three-and-a-bit years on his contract".

What? He was slighted by the club's willingness to let him talk to Reading? Talk about spin. I'm sure it's the last thing Brighton wanted. What about the club/fans being slighted that he even wanted to talk to them, and the chairman honouring his pledge to let Gus talk to Premier League clubs? I know his agent is very 'busy' and has planted stories linking him to all sorts of jobs including West Ham and Swansea in the past, but that is a bit of a stretch.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Thought the Guardian's take on this was interesting today. Dave Hytner, who is very good and would have checked this with Poyet's agent, said that he was "slighted by Brighton's readiness to grant Reading the permission to talk to him and, potentially, seek a compensation pay-out of around £2.5m for the remaining three-and-a-bit years on his contract".

What? He was slighted by the club's willingness to let him talk to Reading? Talk about spin. I'm sure it's the last thing Brighton wanted. What about the club/fans being slighted that he even wanted to talk to them, and the chairman honouring his pledge to let Gus talk to Premier League clubs? I know his agent is very 'busy' and has planted stories linking him to all sorts of jobs including West Ham and Swansea in the past, but that is a bit of a stretch.

To me that sounds like TB telling Gus that no-one is bigger than the club - Which is exactly how it should be. Maybe Gus will think twice before touting himself to the Prem in the future?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To me that sounds like TB telling Gus that no-one is bigger than the club - Which is exactly how it should be. Maybe Gus will think twice before touting himself to the Prem in the future?
Frackin hell.

Gus didn't tout himself.

They asked, Tony said yes, Gus thought ok lets see, he saw said no and went on holiday.

Just because nobody else in this crooked sport can do it right, it doesn't mean Tony is as rotten as everybody else.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Frackin hell.

Gus didn't tout himself.

They asked, Tony said yes, Gus thought ok lets see, he saw said no and went on holiday.

Just because nobody else in this crooked sport can do it right, it doesn't mean Tony is as rotten as everybody else.

You've completely missed my point. I didn't say TB was rotten?! I was responding to Gus apparently being slighted by TB allowing Reading to talk to him. TB has kept to his word and allowed Gus to talk to another team. Now it seems that Gus has got the arse a little because TB stuck to his promise! Would he of preferred it if he had refused?

All I said was that this COULD of sent a message to Gus that says, OK, we don't want you to leave, but hey, if you want to, we won't stand in your way because the club will move forward with or without you on board.

And he's hardly distanced himself from the Chelsea links has he? So in my opinion (and that's my opinion!) he has touted himself.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Think we all know...even if we get to the play-offs and lose that Gus will be courted again...and will probably go...get promotion and it MIGHT be different.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Now it seems that Gus has got the arse a little because TB stuck to his promise! Would he of preferred it if he had refused?

or a journo embelished something to make a story of it. doesnt really make sence does it, being "slighted" because your chairman has kept his word and allowed you to talk to clubs.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
or a journo embelished something to make a story of it. doesnt really make sence does it, being "slighted" because your chairman has kept his word and allowed you to talk to clubs.

Yes you could be right. But, as the OP said - This journo is one of the better ones around. At the end of the day none of us know the truth, so we can only comment on what's put in front of us. Whatever has or hasn't happened, TB has come out of this looking very good indeed in my opinion. Which is what I'd expect of him. :thumbsup:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I imagine the Reading players didn't want Di Canio because his training is so hard. I went down to Swindon to do a feature on PdC just after he took over, and players I spoke to were knackered after doing double sessions every day in pre-season. I was fully prepared for Di Canio to be a joke manager, but I thought he was the real deal. I asked him what he knew about Crewe (Swindon's first opponents), expecting some lazy bollocks along the lines of "it's all about what we do" but instead I got a five-minute tactical breakdown. True, some of his man-management is, er, unconventional, and his politics are vile, but I don't think you can dismiss him as a coach.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

You've completely missed my point. I didn't say TB was rotten?! I was responding to Gus apparently being slighted by TB allowing Reading to talk to him. TB has kept to his word and allowed Gus to talk to another team. Now it seems that Gus has got the arse a little because TB stuck to his promise! Would he of preferred it if he had refused?

All I said was that this COULD of sent a message to Gus that says, OK, we don't want you to leave, but hey, if you want to, we won't stand in your way because the club will move forward with or without you on board.

And he's hardly distanced himself from the Chelsea links has he? So in my opinion (and that's my opinion!) he has touted himself.

Sorry but the only point being missed is the huge one by you.

As @beoththelm says, TB has kept his word.
I very much doubt for one minute Gus feels slighted by an honourable chairman.
You seen to be taking the word of a journo with no source, used to dealing with shyster chairman from shyster clubs.

We are not privy to Gus and Tony's conversations because they don't have them in public.
Much to the annoyance of journos.

Again Gus has never touted himself around the EPL, he wants to work at the highest level, if he can't do that with us, his dream job would be with Chelsea. That's hardly packing his bags for Reading, is it.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Sorry but the only point being missed is the huge one by you.

As @beoththelm says, TB has kept his word.
I very much doubt for one minute Gus feels slighted by an honourable chairman.
You seen to be taking the word of a journo with no source, used to dealing with shyster chairman from shyster clubs.

We are not privy to Gus and Tony's conversations because they don't have them in public.
Much to the annoyance of journos.

Again Gus has never touted himself around the EPL, he wants to work at the highest level, if he can't do that with us, his dream job would be with Chelsea. That's hardly packing his bags for Reading, is it.

Like I said. My opinion - You have yours. Internet forums and indeed the world in general would be a boring place if we all agreed on everything. Get over it.

Edit: I too said TB kept to his word. Selective reading? I just happen to read the article the same way as the OP. Indeed, none of us are privy to what happened - So you can't say if you're wrong or right with any conviction, no more than I can.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Like I said. My opinion - You have yours. Internet forums and indeed the world in general would be a boring place if we all agreed on everything. Get over it.

Edit: I too said TB kept to his word. Selective reading? I just happen to read the article the same way as the OP. Indeed, none of us are privy to what happened - So you can't say if you're wrong or right with any conviction, no more than I can.
All very true.
But the odds must favour TB doing the right thing by all concerned, (himself, the club and Gus) by virtue of the fact he has never done anything to suggest otherwise.

Therefore he gets the benefit of any doubt over any journo.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
All very true.
But the odds must favour TB doing the right thing by all concerned, (himself, the club and Gus) by virtue of the fact he has never done anything to suggest otherwise.

Therefore he gets the benefit of any doubt over any journo.

Fair enough. I never said this was true - But the journo concerned is one of the better ones around, if it had been anyone else I wouldn't have even posted about it! As the OP stated he would have in all likely hood spoken to GP's agent before writing the article. Whatever happened, TB has come out of this in a stronger position (Again,my opinion!). :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair enough. I never said this was true - But the journo concerned is one of the better ones around, if it had been anyone else I wouldn't have even posted about it! As the OP stated he would have in all likely hood spoken to GP's agent before writing the article. Whatever happened, TB has come out of this in a stronger position (Again,my opinion!). :thumbsup:
I just don't see how there can be some kind of 'power' thing.
It's Tony's club, he built the current incarnation, he runs it.

Tony said Gus could speak to Reading, and Barber went with him.

Gus will leave, in the meantime we'll probably have this situation a few more times.
Gus being allowed to talk isn't the same as signing, we just have to get used to it, and make money betting on the second favourite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here