Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading (H) moved back to Saturday 25th Feb

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Making space for Newcastle (H) on Tuesday 21st...?

I was thinking, one less day before Newcastle on 28th?

Although with the way Birmingham played with their first XI they could very well beat Newcastle reserves?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think Barber has some explaining to do. And an apology will not go amiss. And I really struggle to believe the club have absolutely no say in being messed around like this.

Barber doesn't give a toss otherwise he'd be telling Sky 'no' until Southern is sorted at the very least. He made it so clear to us that it's about the money, which means it's not about the fans at all.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It's a contractual entitlement. The club have zero say in the matter.

Look at Manchester United in the FA Cup, they have had FIFTY FIVE consecutive FA Cup matches moved for the convenience of TV, and it theory they have more fans being inconvenienced than the Albion, as it's a 200 mile journey to get to OT for home games.

That's a very poor comparison. MUFC won't know the date/time/venue until the draw is made and, knowing the likelihood of it being televised, their fans can wait a day or so before booking the trains from Guildford and Truro.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Indeed, either time is fine by me. I sincerely hope that the fixture will have the same importance and relevance at that date, would be exciting times.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
A reminder of what Paul Barber said when this was originally re-scheduled to the Friday night...

"I fully appreciate the frustration. As I've explained previously, we don’t get a choice of TV slots. They are allocated to us. We are part of a collective agreement against which we are contractually obliged to deliver the games requested by the EFL and Sky. There will be a whole host of reasons why we are allocated certain TV slots over others at any give time – some of them will be police-related (both for our club and for other home clubs in a given week-end), some may be fixture issues for the clubs selected for a particular game either side of the televised game, or there may be other operational reasons for other slots not being offered to us to which we may not be privy.

Unfortunately, with regards to our own operational planning, a Saturday live TV slot doesn’t necessarily help us to help fans in a rail dispute period. Typically, we want - and we need - access to additional park and rides sites that are likely to be available to us on a Friday evening but not on a Saturday (for example, we couldn’t utilise Sainsbury’s West Hove on a Saturday afternoon/evening). Similarly, we need access to more buses. These are harder to come by in this city on a Saturday afternoon than on a Friday evening. We also benefit from generally quieter roads (post match) on a Friday evening (meaning busses can make faster loops) than we would on a Saturday afternoon.

We’ve done a lot of research in to season ticket holder “no shows” and, rail dispute aside, there is only a marginal difference between a Friday evening and Saturday afternoon. Our live TV games also tend to boost match day ticket sales which, along with good away support, is why our live TV games have attracted some of our highest home attendances this season."

Thread here: http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ading-at-home-moved-to-Friday-24th-Feb-for-TV
I think the rail dispute is the main issue though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Barber doesn't give a toss otherwise he'd be telling Sky 'no' until Southern is sorted at the very least. He made it so clear to us that it's about the money, which means it's not about the fans at all.

This (latest) change, to 5.30pm on the Saturday, mitigates against the Southern shambles, makes it easier for fans, and might very well be a result of the club petitioning Sky to that end.

But yes, Phil, we get it - you don't like Barber.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is better. MUCH better.

An afternoon in town watching the scores come in over a few shandies, then a quick mince up the Amex for the main event. Its a LIKE from me.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Www.oldfootballshirts.com

The Football League threatened to dock Huddersfield Town points a few years ago when they wouldn't move on of their fixtures for Sky.

The fact that West Yorkshire Police had decided to make this particular game a bubble match, and refused Sky's demand for it to be moved made no difference.

So telling Sky 'no' has no value.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think the rail dispute is the main issue though.

But the rail dispute was going on at the time of the original move (which I'm happy to accept) and is still going on at the time of the second move. As far as I can see it's the same set of circumstances both times. So if it is due to the rail then they made the initial move prematurely.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
This (latest) change, to 5.30pm on the Saturday, mitigates against the Southern shambles, makes it easier for fans, and might very well be a result of the club petitioning Sky to that end.

But yes, Phil, we get it - you don't like Barber.

First time in a long time I've had something to say about him, he doesn't get up my nose any more. That said, he's made it clear that he will not stand up for fans in the face of Sky changing fixture dates and times, because of the money, which I think is sad and frustrating.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Football League threatened to dock Huddersfield Town points a few years ago when they wouldn't move on of their fixtures for Sky.

The fact that West Yorkshire Police had decided to make this particular game a bubble match, and refused Sky's demand for it to be moved made no difference.

If this is true then it's a very bad situation that the Football League, the administrators of our game, value one game in a Sky contract above and beyond what the police are advising. How on earth has it come to Sky calling all the shots above against the police and the football authority?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

How about saying no, and then going through with the threat, rather than capitulating. It won't happen at Brighton because it's about the money, and he can prove that it doesn't reduce the numbers of tickets sold, so he'll keep doing it, and we'll have the same conversations each time. Doesn't stop it being frustrating, annoying, and anti-fan

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fist time in a long time I've had something to say about him, he doesn't get up my nose any more. That said, he's made it clear that he will not stand up for fans in the face of Sky changing fixture dates and times, because of the money, which I think is sad and frustrating.

I'm with you on this. I've read all his communications on this matter and it's clear whose side he stands on.

Just a simple apology for any inconvenience in that curt club statement would have made a difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here