Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RDZ's pre-Bournemouth press conference

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I thought they played really well at the Amex last season, really up for it, and were unlucky to finally succumb to that late Mitoma goal. Total opposite to Fulham, for instance, who came to defend and nicked a result.
They were pretty poor at the Vitality Stadium when we won 2-0 . Looked to be going down for certain at that stage but then staged a mini recovery.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Blimey there's some doom mongers on here. Reminds me of some of the comments when our starting line up for Man Utd came out last weekend...
Big difference this time around though is that bmuff will be bang up for this and have a week to prepare. They won't be standing like statues like man u. They also have pace and power upfront and as RDZ said they have signed good players.

They also haven't won a game this season........ which is more a bad thing than good !!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Big difference this time around though is that bmuff will be bang up for this and have a week to prepare. They won't be standing like statues like man u. They also have pace and power upfront and as RDZ said they have signed good players.

They also haven't won a game this season........ which is more a bad thing than good !!
Brighton are by far the favourites - and rightly so. I'm sure Newcastle were "bang up for it" the week before, and likewise Wolves last month . Every team in the PL has signed "good players" . Of course i'm a fan, naturally expect us to lose every game beforehand but Bournemouth still haven't won a game , are clearly relegation contenders, but of course might well pull off what would be a surprise win. It happens. But come off it. Albion, even if Dunk is injured should win this game and probably will - however easy it might be to make the opposite case on NSC. (its easy. ha ha)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Brighton are by far the favourites - and rightly so. I'm sure Newcastle were "bang up for it" the week before, and likewise Wolves last month . Every team in the PL has signed "good players" . Of course i'm a fan, naturally expect us to lose every game beforehand but Bournemouth still haven't won a game , are clearly relegation contenders, but of course might well pull off what would be a surprise win. It happens. But come off it. Albion, even if Dunk is injured should win this game and probably will - however easy it might be to make the opposite case on NSC. (its easy. ha ha)
We were considerably hotter favourites last night.

It's not about that, though, it's about gut feel and intuition. Many Albion fans and pundits alike have said it was no surprise that we beat Manchester United last weekend, stating it would have been a bigger shock had Man Utd won the game. That's despite Man Utd being quite strong favourites in the betting markets pre-match.

According to the betting market Bournemouth, at odds of 13/2, have approximately a 13% chance of winning on Sunday.

My gut feel and intuition tells me this is too long and there's value in that price. That's not saying Bournemouth are favourites to win, that they should win nor that they will win. But my appraisal of the factors around the game is such that I believe Bournemouth have a better chance than the betting markets are giving them. Which is exactly what many of us felt ahead of our visit to Old Trafford.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

It's not about that, though, it's about gut feel and intuition. Many Albion fans and pundits alike have said it was no surprise that we beat Manchester United last weekend, stating it would have been a bigger shock had Man Utd won the game. That's despite Man Utd being quite strong favourites in the betting markets pre-match.

According to the betting market Bournemouth, at odds of 13/2, have approximately a 13% chance of winning on Sunday.

My gut feel and intuition tells me this is too long and there's value in that price. That's not saying Bournemouth are favourites to win, that they should win nor that they will win. But my appraisal of the factors around the game is such that I believe Bournemouth have a better chance than the betting markets are giving them. Which is exactly what many of us felt ahead of our visit to Old Trafford.
I definitely agree. Same reason I started the 2/1 to win at Old Trafford thread. I was supremely confident we would win and was therefore happily surprised at the odds offered.

Bournemouth are very long odds given the very real possibility that they could get a win.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm

Yep, I looked at the odds on Bet365 while supping my pint in the WSU concourse pre kick off and was really tempted to stick a tenner on AEK at 12/1

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
These injuries could be season-defining.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Also hearing that Athens were as long as 16/1 in some places was far too long.

Especially with late withdrawals from Dunk and Ferguson. Dunk is (and was) a huge miss for us.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Have we lost 2 on the spin under RDZ? If we have it's not very often. He will find a way to WIN.
Second and third game I belive (Spurs and Brentford)
Perhaps more significantly we have never won 3 games in a row under RdZ (or Potter for that matter) in the Premier League.
CH did it with those three dreadful 1-0s which helped to keep us up.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I really hope he plays Veltman on Sunday. He just adds a solidity to the defending which is lost with some of the others. However, not sure whether he should be right back or centre half. Perhaps in the middle with Webster for this one and Lamptey right. He can then switch over if Lamptey tires.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Blimey there's some doom mongers on here. Reminds me of some of the comments when our starting line up for Man Utd came out last weekend...
Since when have you been a little ray of sunshine? ???

:wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I really hope he plays Veltman on Sunday. He just adds a solidity to the defending which is lost with some of the others. However, not sure whether he should be right back or centre half. Perhaps in the middle with Webster for this one and Lamptey right. He can then switch over if Lamptey tires.
I'm really expecting us to lose this weekend, so that means we will probably win. And before anyone says 'doesn't that mean we will therefore probably lose?' the answer is quite possibly.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Agreed …I looked at those odds for last nights match and thought they were a bit crazy for basically a two horse race ..and even more so considering our non existent experience in Europe, as against the opposition.

Again I feel Sundays are attractive for a punt (one you hope to lose lol)… but maybe a draw

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm really expecting us to lose this weekend, so that means we will probably win. And before anyone says 'doesn't that mean we will therefore probably lose?' the answer is quite possibly.

But if you look at the predictions, it is going to be sunny and warm, no rush for a 2 o'clock kick off, time for a few leisurely beers after and home in time for a Sunday roast. A surefire winner :thumbsup:

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Hopefully we can bounce back like we typically do, but I feel a lot less comfortable about this match with all our injuries - Bournemouth is probably the best side not to win in the league.

Brooks is refereeing FFS - if you know, you know :facepalm:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Agreed . Betting markets - of which i don't know much ! - seem to be downplaying their chances. as you say and likewise agree re: how the "surprise" re United last week was overplayed in some quarters. And some of the threads on here are discussing that - but most are downplaying Albion's chance of victory and boosting Bournemouth because of recency bias (we lost yesterday) , fan misery (expecting us to lose - regardless of form or opponents) or to wind people like me up who fall for it EVERY TIME ha ha.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here