Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RDZ We played “the worst game…in my time”

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I do not wish to piss on the kids chips, but whenever buonotte is on the pitch we seem to either be behind or lose. I’m not sure he has it in him?
He looks so out of his depth out wide. Just doesn't seem to know what he's doing. Technically he is great. Neat on the ball, takes up good positions, but he runs into trouble and his positioning is terrible. The physical side is the biggest concern. I just can't see the argument against him being out on loan beyond the extra body. Frankly though Lamptey would be far more effective on the right of midfield.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I imagine the players got read the riot act at half time!
Maybe he did indeed say this:

Our sovereign lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains contained in the act made in the first year of King George, for preventing tumults and riotous assemblies. God save the King.

There again, perhaps not.

:wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why the f*** did he keep the ball at his feet so long, then eventually bang it upfield, where their defenders won it every time ?
It has been discussed elsewhere. The idea was to draw out their press. They didn't come forth. They also man to manned our front 4. And our run back to catch a ball to flick on men were too weak and were dispossessed. GK had nowhere to go other than to hoof it. We don't do hoofing. Bosh.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
First half was shockingly bad. Bournemouth had a game plan and we did nothing - nothing - to go against it. We just did the same thing(badly) over and over again. We were very lucky to go in at half time level.

Unlike a lot of others I don't think we were particularly good in the second half either. Scoring after 16 seconds was massive as it gave us the lead, forcing Bournemouth to change our tactics and play a little more on our terms. But, within that context we were still a long way from our best. We lost possession cheaply, didn't control things as much as normal and still looked shaky at the back.

It's too be expected when so many changes are made from game to game and I'm sure the cohesion will improve as the season goes on but it was a poor effort overall yesterday. The obvious positive is that we still won despite everything.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
On Jim White and Simon Jordan’s show this morning ….so between now and one pm …given their’ll be talking about Arsenal v Spurs and the plight of Chelsea…..12.55?

coming up soon….another hour then….Jimmy is betting on top four 👀

Last edited:

hughfromalice

Sep 8, 2022
First half was very strange. We had 2 defensive mids sat directly in front of a narrow back 4, with little space amongst them to pass, and then a big gap between them and 4 attacking players. Just a wide open space in midfield. Meant all our usual build up play just couldn’t happen, and we resorted to either a long ball into Evans feet or us looking clueless at what to do.
I think you're right. I sit near the centre in East, so the gap was really obvious, particularly in the first half. Long kick after long kick after long kick from the back to an isolated front line who seemed disadvantage because they mostly had to try take those long balls facing their own goal. Very frustrating and not pretty to watch. What was our plan? It was the first time under RDZ that I felt that we had no effective plan B. If true, that's puzzling, as one of RDZ's hallmarks is his flexible innovate approach.

But from a glass half full perspective...... the MOTD etc pundits often say that the sign of a really good side is that they somehow find a way to win even on their off days! Maybe we are reaching that level???? :)

Last edited:

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I think you're right. I sit near the centre in East, so the gap was really obvious, particularly in the first half. Long kick after long kick after long kick from the back to an isolated front line who seemed disadvantage because they mostly had to try take those long balls facing their own goal. Very frustrating and not pretty to watch. What was our plan? It was the first time under RDZ that I felt that we had no effective plan B. If true, that's puzzling, as one of RDZ's hallmarks is his flexible innovate approach.

But from a glass half full perspective...... the MOTD etc pundits often say that the sign of a really good side is that they somehow find a way to win even on their off days! Maybe we are reaching that level???? :)
I dont think its that we didnt have a plan B. It just seemed like in that first half we had gone straight to using some radical new untested plan C, before then reverting back to our usual plan A or B in the second half, which obviously worked. It was just a very strange start to the game, it literally felt like we were testing some new tactics/formation. Never seen us set up like that under RDZ. Normally Gross or Pedro would be sat in that massive midfield hole but there was nobody.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Why the f*** did he keep the ball at his feet so long, then eventually bang it upfield, where their defenders won it every time ?
Probably because he zero other options.

The plan was clearly to play the ball up to Evan, who would hold onto it long enough for Danny to link up with him.

It didn't work as Evan's hold up play wasn't as good as normal and to be fair I thought the Bournemouth defender played him well.

Bart could't hit Danny with the same ball, as he was screened off by the Bournemouth strikers who made zero attempt to press, Danny didn't move (we had a distinct lack of movement overall) and Billy G and MD were too close to Bart to help out.

Those who shouted from the North Stand at Bart or those who question why 'the f**k did he keep the all at his feet for so long' need to undertstand that the way we play under RDZ means the goalkeeper won't just hoof it upfield but will always try and PASS the ball - yes sometimes it's risky, but when it works, it works big time as our attacking players often outnumber the opposition defenders.

Pedro is excellent at dropping off - IMO much better than Danny - personally I'm not a fan of Danny/Evan as a combination.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here