tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
First half was definitely the worse performance under Rdz
second half was better
we didn’t play well today but still won happy days

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
First half was the most we have missed Caicedo and Mac by far. Unfortunately neither starting centre midfielder today has the ability, movement or willingness to receive the ball under intense press as was required today in that first half.
I agree with this and thought it was at the heart of our issues against AEK as well. On Thursday and in the first half we seemed to be playing lots of 30-40 yard balls along the ground to retreating forwards who then have difficulties holding on to it. That happened less when Caicedo would often show for the ball under pressure. We seemed to partly sort it out second half by mixing in some more variety but we definitely miss that. Hopefully Baleba will help - looked very good in his cameo.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Bad selections . Picking buonotte may as well started with 10

2nd half team bailed us out but concerning some of that

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not sure RDZ would see our approach in the second half as much better than the first half statue chess simulation display that took place, although it was different certainly.

Verbruggen went long frequently in the second half which ceded possession straight back to Bournemouth quite often.

It would have been interesting to see how the game had panned out if it had remained 1-1 for longer. Taking the lead as soon as the second half kicked off would have ruined Bournemouth's intended game plan immediately.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Said it on the match thread at half time - that was definitely the worst half of football we’ve played under him. So lucky to go in level.

Second half very good and comfortable.

I thought Bournemouth would be better than they were to be honest. Any half decent PL team would have been out of sight at half time. I didn’t think they would be this season as I liked Iraola in Spain, but I now think they are definitely in a relegation battle, they were really poor.
They've got a lot of quality in that side but a few obvious weak spots. I think they'll have more than enough to not be too troubled this season.

And yeah, the first half was absolutely dreadful.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I think we were waiting for Bournemouth to press. But we took so long that they just edged closer and closer like a game of "whats the time mr f***ing wolf". Then the normal triggers for the passes weren't there because they were already on top of the GK and there had been zero movement between the lines.

Bart hit the same pass what... 10 times? With an almost 0% ball retention rate.

The one time he gave up and hit a diagonal to Adingra we almost scored.

Say what you like about RDZ's tactics, but the players just weren't using their brains and implementing his style at all in that first half.

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think we were waiting for Bournemouth to press. But we took so long that they just edged closer and closer like a game of "whats the time mr f***ing fox". Then the normal triggers for the passes weren't there because they were already on top of the GK and there had been zero movement between the lines.

Bart hit the same pass what... 10 times? With an almost 0% ball retention rate.

The one time he gave up and hit a diagonal to Adingra we almost scored.

Say what you like about RDZ's tactics, but the players just weren't using their brains and implementing his style at all in that first half.
Ferguson didn’t help either when the ball was played through the middle to him - his hold up play and general performance was off today. He and Buonanotte both had stinkers and were rightly taken off which will happen when they’re 18.

Ferguson has enough in the bank for us to know he’s quality and that was just an off day. FB on the other hand currently looks a long way off the required standard.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Everton was worse.

Although I can accept his point if we admit we never bothered playing football that afternoon, just gave it to them and stood back.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
First half was very bad but I think we were great in the second all things considered.
Nowhere near as bad as Everton overall or even Thursday. It's a game of two halves after all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here