Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RDZ becoming more pragmatic ?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
OK, I'm only going to whisper it, but it appeared that when we went down to 10 today, there was a very pragmatic change in tactics that I didn't see against Sheffield Utd when we were down to 10. First long Goal kicks of the season (and a few long kicks from hand by Bart), together with a few clearances that Dyche, Fat Sam and Peter Kaye would be proud of :wink:

Back to total Football Thursday, hopefully :thumbsup:
I think we totally went to pieces when we went down to 10 against Sheffield Utd, I suspect he has done a little bit of work with the squad on that situation cropping up again since then. He seemed pleased with the result.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I think we totally went to pieces when we went down to 10 against Sheffield Utd, I suspect he has done a little bit of work with the squad on that situation cropping up again since then. He seemed pleased with the result.
We did rather - and maybe a post-match talking?

It was great to see Moder back - we need some big heavy hitters in MF certainly so look forward to him building up to his former strengths.

I agree with @WATFORD zero - there is some pragmatism in RDZ’s game plan but as he said in his presser, that is part of his job - and, if I understood him correctly, part of RDZ’s ‘DNA’ to adapt and be flexible.

I’m not sure tbh whether what we did in the last 25 mins in terms of belting long balls out of the danger area was borne of a deliberate strategy (like moving Gross and Veltman much deeper after Dunky blew one) or was just instinctive defending and necessity being the mother of invention - down to 10 men and protecting a slim 1 goal lead, it would have been madness to play out from the back in our usual risky passing triangles - it looked scrappy and a bit ‘down in the mud’ but it worked and we held on to our lead even with 10 men despite absorbing a renewed and vigorous high press from Notts and clearly getting very fatigued.

Like the gaffe said “Spirit and Soul” but I think De Zerbi shows more than all of them put together …

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
His comments about the referees will have been discussed between them.
Some things are better left unsaid.
Taking bets between them as to who is on De Zerbi’s naughty or nice list?

It’s no worse than Dean’s comment when he was on VAR.

Mike Dean admits he failed to intervene on Var decision to protect his 'mate' Anthony Taylor. Former Premier League referee Mike Dean failed to intervene on a major Var call because he did not want to cause his friend Anthony Taylor any 'grief', he has revealed.
Daily Telegraph 25.8.23

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Taking bets between them as to who is on De Zerbi’s naughty or nice list?

It’s no worse than Dean’s comment when he was on VAR.

Mike Dean admits he failed to intervene on Var decision to protect his 'mate' Anthony Taylor. Former Premier League referee Mike Dean failed to intervene on a major Var call because he did not want to cause his friend Anthony Taylor any 'grief', he has revealed.
Daily Telegraph 25.8.23
In the interview he said he missed it, he didn’t know why he missed it maybe it was because he didn’t want to give his friend any more grief, he missed it and was trying to find an excuse why - the selected quote makes it seem he actively did AT a favour, that isn’t what happened.

I’m no fan of Mike Dean but the selected quote is exactly why papers can’t be trusted and people shouldn’t take verbatim what they say.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In the interview he said he missed it, he didn’t know why he missed it maybe it was because he didn’t want to give his friend any more grief, he missed it and was trying to find an excuse why - the selected quote makes it seem he actively did AT a favour, that isn’t what happened.

I’m no fan of Mike Dean but the selected quote is exactly why papers can’t be trusted and people shouldn’t take verbatim what they say.
VAR has the benefit of replays.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
RDZ said after the Sheffield Utd game that when down to 10 we should have defended better as a group. So no doubt whether it was training or in meetings this would have been worked on.

And the long kicks from the keeper is one solution from this, to give the defenders a slight breather and to ensure we maintain our defensive shape, rather than being wide all over the pitch when playing our normal style as this would give even more space for the opposition to use

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Arent the last 2 league games the 1st sendings off since De Zerbi arrived?

Seems we learnt from the last one

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I would be interested in the tactical thoughts behind sending goal kicks long when you are one goal up and down to 10 men. I understand that if you are a man down then it is harder to play our possession football but if you send it long when you are a man down it is almost certainly just coming back at you. Wouldn't it be better to play possession at the back but be prepared for the defender to hoof it if the situation becomes too dangerous....? Perhaps the problem is that if you play possession at the back your defenders have to go wide and you want to keep them in more defensive positions...

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
Yep, he looked like he was running through treacle when he was put clean through at the end with the defender catching him and making the tackle
Jõao Pedro then sat on the ground, seemingly uninjured, but just incapable of getting-up. His situation was not helped by us lot behind the goal screaming at him to get to the other end and defend.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I would be interested in the tactical thoughts behind sending goal kicks long when you are one goal up and down to 10 men. I understand that if you are a man down then it is harder to play our possession football but if you send it long when you are a man down it is almost certainly just coming back at you. Wouldn't it be better to play possession at the back but be prepared for the defender to hoof it if the situation becomes too dangerous....? Perhaps the problem is that if you play possession at the back your defenders have to go wide and you want to keep them in more defensive positions...
As I said in my post above - Notts were playing a very high press at that point and we were in a low block absorbing hit after hit - they were right on top of us in and around the 18 yard box - there was no ‘back’ to speak of - and there was no space between the lines - therefore no time to play nice passing (and risky anyway) football from the back - and - our players were getting knackered, especially deep into injury time - you don’t risk counterattacks in that situation, you defend defend defend (IMO!) - we needed time to catch a breather which booting it long gave us - it was the right tactic I believe for the 15-20 minutes it was an issue,

nsclurker

Apr 3, 2018
Jõao Pedro then sat on the ground, seemingly uninjured, but just incapable of getting-up. His situation was not helped by us lot behind the goal screaming at him to get to the other end and defend.

Yup. I was guilty of that, even after saying "Pedro is f*cked" around the same time.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
What the f*** is soccer? ???
Makes me think of Judy Carne in the 1960s in the Rowan and Martin Laugh-in - “it may be football to you, but it’s soccer to me”……. And she was English.
this will probably be totally meaningless to anyone under the age of 60(?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here