Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rate the window out of 10

Rate our transfer business this summer out of 10

• 4 or below

Results are only viewable after voting.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
People keep saying this but does it stand up to scrutiny?

At the end of last season we had a goalkeeper on strike. Now we have two very similar keepers. Our right back options were Veltman, Gross or Caicedo with Lamptey injured. Now we have Lamptey come through two U21 games, Veltman, Gross or Milner. Igor has replaced Colwill. Van Hecke is a genuine squad member for the whole season. We’ve replaced Caicedo, who we were always going to sell, with a guy tipped to be the new Caicedo.

We’ve lost a world class player who was key to defence AND midfield but I’d at least have a look at the replacement. Elsewhere in defence we have more depth, not less.

Not sure you can brush off Caicedo’s departure, regardless of whether it was inevitable. Same for Mac.
Some valid points on defence and keeper though. Marginal difference to last season.

Last edited:

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
I fully expect us to lose in a similar way to last week. Couple of things though; De Zerbi won’t and we probably won’t play Baleba.

The test of the squad will be once Baleba and Fati are ready to go.
He will have learnt from last week in the set up I think. Or maybe not. Will find out about 540 this evening

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I honestly don’t know. We’ve lost a lot of quality and replaced it with a lot of unknowns. Fati feels like a big gamble to me (that I really hope pays off) and Baleta is unlikely to be for the here and now, meaning we’re still light in defensive midfield positions.

I also worry about our full back positions quite a lot. If PE gets injured for any length of time then I don’t see where the cover is. And right back still looks weak with Lamptey barely playing now and Veltman strangely out of favour…

I hope our history proves this window to be a very successful one, but we’ve seen too many clubs of our size have good seasons in the Prem and then struggle to replace the quality they inevitably lose to bigger sides, and suffer a slump as a result. Fingers crossed this window isn’t that.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester

1 mark down for not getting an additional full back (left or right).

1 mark down for loosing Caicedo.

1 mark up for getting £115m for Caicedo

1 mark up for singing a genuine wonderkid.

Yes maths is not my strong point.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
with the business seemingly done, how do you rate what we’ve done this window?

copied from Chaileyjem’s thread so nobody forgets anyone when voting:

Players bought in Summer 2023: Joao Pedro (£30m/Watford/2028) , Dahoud (Free/Dortmund/2027) , Milner (Free/Liverpool, 2024+1), Verbruggen (£16m/Anderlecht/2028), Mazilu (£2.5m/FCV Farul Constanta/Jan Window), Igor Julio (£16.5m / Fiorentina/ 2027), Slater (2026/ Preston), Atom (2026/RB Leipzig/u21), Baleba (£23m + 4m/ Lille), Ansu Fati (Barcelone/23/24 LOAN)
Players sold in Summer 2023: Richards (QPR), MacAllister (£35m/55m, Liverpool), Tsongui (Feyenoord), Khadra (£1.7m, Reims). Connolly (£1.2m/Hull), Sanchez (£20m+5m Chelsea), Karbownik (£2m/Hertha Berlin), Caicedo (£100+15m/Chelsea)
I can only go 5 because I'm still grieving over McAllister and Caciedo :sneaky:

Reactions: cjd

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
8 , gutted to lose Trossard Caciedo and Macallister and still miffed that Cuccarella used us the way he so obviously did but on the plus side on paper we've spent wisely,I think Pedro is a brilliant signing and he will come good I've no doubt about that,I'm surprised we didn't bolster the defence a bit more but it looks like a squad of they score 3 we score 4 type of scenario.
I honestly don't really know much about Baleba,Fati,and Dahoud will hopefully get into the groove and be our pivot out of defence,I'm still on a high thinking about that bloke unwrapping that bit of paper and seeing the words Brighton and Hove Albion written on it, bloody marvelous.
Enjoy the ride.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
? - have I missed something (quite likely).
I'm reliably informed that Mac Allister's camp played fair with us and didn't tell Liverpool about the buyout clause in his new contract. So somebody else who would have known about it must have. Who could that be, I wonder?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here