Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RATE Albion's transfer window

How do YOU rate Albion's transfer window?

• 10 (High)

Votes: 5 1.8%

Votes: 35 12.4%

Votes: 89 31.4%

Votes: 60 21.2%

Votes: 47 16.6%

Votes: 20 7.1%

Votes: 10 3.5%

• 1 (Low)

Votes: 7 2.5%

• Total voters

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
6/10

got what we desperately needed, didn't get what we really could've done with but have signed some very interesting prospects and players who you'd imagine we'd get significant fees for. it is, however, very difficult to rate accurately when we have no idea how the new boys are going to do

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
7/10

Good signings in Billy Gilmour and Pervis Estupiñán but what is the phobia of signing a Glenn Murray type striker we have desperately needed for years!? As others have stated It's glaringly obvious and never gets fixed season after season. Everything else is spot on but lack of goals is a clear ongoing concern!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Hard to tell ATM. It will really be proven out by our table position at the end of the season.

Anything 12th or above would mean it's successful.

Right now, 6/10 IMO. Selling Biss was a given, Cucu not but got a hefty wedge for him.

New young uns in plus a few under rated foreigners and the clubs model seems to be rolling along.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

An incredible £100m raised and many players/legacy contracts have been cleared from the books.

Excited by Gilmour and Estupian, unlike Albion expert others on nsc I know next to nothing about the EPL credentials of Colwill, Enciso and Adingra.

I’m not going to lose sleep over the club not signing a proven quality striker. I believe TB/PB about the difficulties faced. Losing Welbeck would be a big blow.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
5/10. Great fee for Cucurella, Biss had to go but cheaply due to contract. Some potentially exciting signings, but overall feel the squad is a bit thin and slightly weaker. Hopefully I’m completely wrong 🙂

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Difficult one isn’t it? We got as much money as I think we could possibly get for Biss and Cucu. Pervis feels like as good as we could for the money and I’m sure he’ll be at least decent despite his horror show this week. Colwill, who knows. It’s a loan so I’m not entirely sure if the thought process there. Gilmour is a steal. The worry is selling Maupay and not signing anyone. Undav needs time but he needs to be decent too or we really might not have as good as season as we could. I trust the club and Potter but blimey let’s hope Welbeck stays fit for the games that matter.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
I gave it an 8.

Pervis will be fine if fans give him time as a replacement for Cucurella, and I think the other ones have fit in nicely also. Gilmour has all the tools you want to succeed in Potter's system and I am eager to see what he can do for the Albion.

Yes a option if Welbeck can't go would have been nice, but TB and GP are very shrewd about how they do things, and if they did not feel strongly enough to bring in someone else, than we just have to trust them as we have been doing and it has worked so far.

Overall, I feel comfortable with how it went.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
6/10

Negatives:

Still no left footed permanent replacement for Dan Burn (we’re developing a player for Chelsea like Leeds did with White).

I’m not sure that we replaced Bissouma properly. The midfield 3 of Mac Allister, Bissouma and Caicedo is better than anything we can put together this season for now. Fact.

Against Fulham, we were treated to a taste of what happens to the team without Welbeck. Not good at all. Different tactics, that appeared largely ineffective. We clearly had 3 or 4 ‘Welbeck Profile’ strikers in mind but yet again, could not get one over the line. If Welbeck gets yet another big injury, there ends our top 10 ambitions.

The plan to buy a couple of South American wonder kids crashed and burned. It’s really sad about the Argentinian. Perhaps we’ll pick him up in January?

Positives:

We made lots of money.

Billy Gilmour could have a huge future but I’m not sure we needed a player of his type that badly. Will we see much of him this season? Hard to tell. I was happy with Alzate.

Pervis will iron out the match losing mistakes and be very good I think. He just needs time rather than being thrown in at the deep end.

Enciso seems to have a bright future too but I think he’ll need 3 or 4 years to mature.

Colwill lacks experience but seems to have it all. Hopefully Van Hecke gets the minutes rather than the Chelsea player though. He should have come in on a permanent with Chelsea over the barrel with Cucu.

Adringa could go either way. A seemingly good punt but like all the players we’ve just signed (except maybe Pervis), he is one for the far future.

Last edited:

lhughes

Nov 27, 2012
Toronto, Canada

Got good money for outgoing, although they are big losses.

Brought in 2 new decent 1st teamers & 1 exciting youngster who may play from time to time.

What budges it up a little for me is that we have Van Heck, Mitoma & Undav back on loan & kept. Each are decent additions.

An additional striker would have made it at least a 9.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm around a 6 and a bit m'eh really.

Was resigned to losing Biss and we maxed what we could get for him. Didn't want to lose Cucurella but we also maxed what we could get. Very telling that we had to replace him with two players, one a loan and one with a lot of potential but who is currently making goal scoring errors (plural) every game until he "settles". Maupay was either going to leave or sign a new contract. Turns out I was correct that Undav was his replacement but that means we have to start trusting him.

Mitoma is like a new signing and a very exciting player who I like the look of a lot. Gilmour - will we get the Norwich Gilmour or the Scotland one? I'm trusting the recruitment team on this but the Norwich version was dreadful, but he was playing in a dreadful team with a poor coach and getting stick from the fans.

The squad feels weaker in terms of individual quality but slightly deeper, which will suit 5 subs / winter World Cup, and we've had a good start. I trust the recruitment team but also feel we'll miss Cucurella and Maupay as the season goes on.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not bad.

Bissouma leaving was planned way in advance. We couldn't stand in his way.

It was clearly not the plan for Cucurella to leave but it was dealt with well - with 2 signings we weren't expecting.

I don't know about Maupay. Possibly an agreement with him that his future involved a fresh start somewhere. So we took the fee rather than let him walk away later for peanuts or for free.

Adingra and Enciso are ones for future seasons really - the type of signings we absolutely need.

So that just leaves Gilmour - which seems like an advanced replacement for Caicedo - who may leave as early as January if the fee is eye-watering enough by then.

And not "singing a striker". Well I don't write Undav off yet and the club clearly have massive faith in Ferguson.

So, not a spectacular window by any means, but as said before, "not bad".

Just scrapes a 7 out of 10.

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

We did the business we wanted to do. We didn’t get sucked into panic buying or paying silly fees. We got very good valuations for the players we sold. GP appears happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Taking everything into account we are somewhat weaker IMO.

Still a good team, and the fees received are excellent business, it’s just the incoming player that are a little underwhelming.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Think when you look at the clubs strategy of developing young players, by buying 'cheap' and playing them, then if the players desire or the offer is something you can't refuse, sell. It works for us, we finished 9th last year and can see similar this. Bloom, Barber and Potter have done fantastic for us and think most fans understand that we are not in league of playing 20 plus million for players. Happy with the window as my expectations were not getting any big signings, that is not us. Onwards and upwards. Hopefully Gilmour is a typical good Brighton signing.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

We did the business we wanted to do. We didn’t get sucked into panic buying or paying silly fees. We got very good valuations for the players we sold. GP appears happy.

9 [emoji23][emoji23]
Players sold and money incomming great players in plus no striker addition not good

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Selling Maupay to Everton is bugging me a bit but other than the obvious no 40 goal a season striker Brighton and Hove Albion smashed the window with a fluffy slipper.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Think when you look at the clubs strategy of developing young players, by buying 'cheap' and playing them, then if the players desire or the offer is something you can't refuse, sell. It works for us, we finished 9th last year and can see similar this.

I think a fit Welbeck was a massive factor in that 9th place finish with his effectiveness at the end of the season. He is a big reason for our top 4 position currently. If he is out long term, I think we kiss the top 10 goodbye.

However, in a year’s time, the likes of Ferguson, Sima and Zeqiri might mean we don’t have to rely on him so much.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
weaker in our weakest area, will cost us.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
8/10.

We've shipped out all of those players we needed to, we've brought in two hugely exciting young players in Enciso and Gilmour, we've arraged loans for our prospects, we've made good money on those we've sold and we've ended up with a tight group.

The only setback is not signing a back-up for Welbeck, but you have to assume Potter thinks Ferguson is almost there for that role.

I think this window has cemented our position as a proper Prem club that can attract the best young players from anywhere on the planet and can play hardball with the top 6. That compares well to some of the chaotic and shambolic business done by other clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here