Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RATE Albion's transfer window

How do YOU rate Albion's transfer window?

• 10 (High)

Votes: 5 1.8%

Votes: 35 12.4%

Votes: 89 31.4%

Votes: 60 21.2%

Votes: 47 16.6%

Votes: 20 7.1%

Votes: 10 3.5%

• 1 (Low)

Votes: 7 2.5%

• Total voters

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
9 [emoji23][emoji23]
Players sold and money incomming great players in plus no striker addition not good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are not a top 6 club and we're not a club that is panicking about what we need to do to avoid relegation. We are building slowly. Therefore, I'm not expecting marquee signings which is why it is a 9.

If we'd had a nice surprise it would have been a 10, but then you'd have rated it a 10 as well. This is the problem with ratings for too many fans. For too many it's either a 5/10 or a 10/10 and it all depends on some 'event' happening rather than patient building.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

We did the business we wanted to do. We didn’t get sucked into panic buying or paying silly fees. We got very good valuations for the players we sold. GP appears happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your Albion mojo seems to have skyrocketed recently. Good to see! :)

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
6/10

However, in a year’s time, the likes of Ferguson, Sima and Zeqiri might mean we don’t have to rely on him so much.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong but I do not think any of the mentioned players will be near first team in a year's time. Zeqiri is as good as gone (Basel has option to buy), Sima hasn't proven anything in his loan spells (early days in France I know). That leaves Ferguson who will probably be loaned out next year to get constant playing time in competitive league.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
weaker in our weakest area, will cost us.

If Welbeck stays fit we are not weaker. He was injured for periods last season, literally tracking with our poor periods of results.

We might be weaker in back-up but that only costs us really if he gets injured. He must be due an injury free season!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I’d guess that my rating would differ wildly from the clubs. No doubt they’ll see is at a raging success having sold over £100m worth of players and spending about 1/4 of it on incoming players.

From my perspective, we’ve sold two of our best players and our top scorer, bought a replacement left back and cdm, but critically we’ve failed to add a striker, again. It’s such a risk trying to go with just Welbeck and having such unproven options behind him. I noticed Naylor started peddling the bi-annual transfer spiel of listing any attacker as a forward and attempting to pass them off as strikers. Nobody is falling for that. We have Welbeck, Undav and Ferguson. The rest are are attacking midfielders/wingers. Overall I’m pleased with Estupinan and Gilmour but hugely disappointed that no striker was found. 5/10.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A solid 7.

Some seem to forgetting Undav scored 27 goals against Championship/League One opposition last year. If the club had signed a player who had scored 27 goals in League One, people would have been excited... rightfully. Don't rule the man out... may not be a world beater but good chance of him working out as the backup striker and scoring 5 goals or so.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The loss of Cucerella, was a big blow, he was the model of consistency last season and leaves a big gap to fill. Other than that I don't buy the squad is weaker argument. We have bedded in a number of signings and loan returnees, which I think add a lot of flexibility to the team. It feels like we are heading in the right direction. I suspect Colwill will convert from a loan to permanent at some point, which should quell the why are we developing other team's players argument.

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
A solid 7.

Some seem to forgetting Undav scored 27 goals against Championship/League One opposition last year. If the club had signed a player who had scored 27 goals in League One, people would have been excited... rightfully. Don't rule the man out... may not be a world beater but good chance of him working out as the backup striker and scoring 5 goals or so.

He wasn't signed this window though :jester:
(otherwise I agree)

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Great business for the Club.. great fees secured and crucially a LB signed to enable us to play with 4 at the back. Gilmour is an exciting potential and provides us with immediate back-up should the Fat Cats come calling for Caicedo in January with more money than sense. BUT.. I too am concerned that letting Maupay go, right now looks a risk..certainly a bigger risk than if we had him still. I absolutely understand that we wont break the strategy that has served us so well, and "trust" the Club accordingly. I have no idea if Maupay wanted to go, we secured a great price for him in the last year of his contract so I understand the business rationale. Either the Club are very confident in what they see day to day from Undav etc., far more confident in Welbeck's fitness OR their plans for a back-up melted away. One suggests no concern from the club, the other could be a calculated risk that the season "stops" for a while in November and December, so the exposure is reduced with the January Window opening.
I scored 6/10 that reflects my discomfort that Welbeck will get injured within 10 mins of Sunday's game and I don't know how good Undav could be.. I trust the club, but it's hard for a Nervous Nerys like me!!!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
A solid 7.

Probably not, as most would understand it’s a huge leap so would be foolish to expect too much in his first season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm around a 6 and a bit m'eh really.

Was resigned to losing Biss and we maxed what we could get for him. Didn't want to lose Cucurella but we also maxed what we could get. Very telling that we had to replace him with two players, one a loan and one with a lot of potential but who is currently making goal scoring errors (plural) every game until he "settles". Maupay was either going to leave or sign a new contract. Turns out I was correct that Undav was his replacement but that means we have to start trusting him.

Mitoma is like a new signing and a very exciting player who I like the look of a lot. Gilmour - will we get the Norwich Gilmour or the Scotland one? I'm trusting the recruitment team on this but the Norwich version was dreadful, but he was playing in a dreadful team with a poor coach and getting stick from the fans.

The squad feels weaker in terms of individual quality but slightly deeper, which will suit 5 subs / winter World Cup, and we've had a good start. I trust the recruitment team but also feel we'll miss Cucurella and Maupay as the season goes on.

Agree with most of this but score it 4/10.

We are left weaker. The very fact you needed to include Mitoma who was already our player, to add some positive balance, says it all.

If the strange Alzate loan failed to go through, maybe up half a point to 4.5.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’d guess that my rating would differ wildly from the clubs. No doubt they’ll see is at a raging success having sold over £100m worth of players and spending about 1/4 of it on incoming players.

From my perspective, we’ve sold two of our best players and our top scorer, bought a replacement left back and cdm, but critically we’ve failed to add a striker, again. It’s such a risk trying to go with just Welbeck and having such unproven options behind him. I noticed Naylor started peddling the bi-annual transfer spiel of listing any attacker as a forward and attempting to pass them off as strikers. Nobody is falling for that. We have Welbeck, Undav and Ferguson. The rest are are attacking midfielders/wingers. Overall I’m pleased with Estupinan and Gilmour but hugely disappointed that no striker was found. 5/10.

I think Enciso should count as a striker as well... In most of his games before moving to Brighton, he played as one of two strikers up front. Yes, usually a bit deeper than Santa Cruz, but still definitely more striker than anything else. And I think we might see a bit more of him than most expect.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It's almost impossible to rank as most of the players we have signed will either come to fruition or not in approx 2 years time. Only time will tell.

Without repeating what a lot have said re Biss, Cucu etc, Gilmour is the one I really like. If you wanted to buy him 12 months ago, 10 million quid would have been laughed at. I appreciate he was poor at Norwich but then that can happen and may well have done us a favour long term by getting him at a value price. He's a player made for a Potter team and one that could prove to be another shrewd bit of recruitment.

The obvious problem is a Welbeck injury and Undav seemingly lacking the work rate or mobility as a Maupay replacement. Then it's more of this false 9 bollox that we all love so much.

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Your Albion mojo seems to have skyrocketed recently. Good to see! :)

:amex:

I guess there are worse things happening in the world than Albion pocketing £150m and only being able to sign international players that some people don't seem to want, rate or know yet.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Agree with most of this but score it 4/10.

We are left weaker. The very fact you needed to include Mitoma who was already our player, to add some positive balance, says it all.

If the strange Alzate loan failed to go through, maybe up half a point to 4.5.

I included Mitoma and didn't include Adingra. That's technically incorrect in terms of the actual windows they were signed in but one can play for us now and the other can't. It feels like an offset. Enciso also didn't get a mention as he actually seems to be a U23 for now and I've not included them or the women's team in my assessment, just the men's first team.

You're correct that I may have marked too highly. I think we'll see as the season develops whether I have. For now we look to be carrying Estupinian and Undav but it's way too early to write either off.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Probably not, as most would understand it’s a huge leap so would be foolish to expect too much in his first season.

Well, maybe.. I was certainly horny for Toney when he was down in League One. And about half of the teams in Belgium are Championship level.. 25 goals and 10 assists against Championship/League One opposition. I'd be excited. Well, I am excited. Yes, I think he will contribute kind of little until October/November but we'll get a handful of goals from him I think, which is really all you can hope for from a backup.

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
a bit meh for me so score it 5.

Financially it's a 10 for the club, but IMO the squad is weaker in the area we were probably the most weakest. Therefore squad 5.

As for our strikers we are relying on a fit Welbeck, Undav, Encisco and Ferguson. 75% of which have exactly the same number of Premier League goals as I do!

The club have taken a huge gamble not replacing Maupay and his 10 goals a season as it proved Tuesday night at Fulham when we played a false 9 and looked blunt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here