Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raphael Dwamena RIP

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Awful, awful news

The thrill of playing playing football can be tough to let go of, and I guess a young man can earn more doing that even in Albania than whatever his alternatives were.

The questions of course hang over the club and league who were greedy enough to exploit this lad, fully aware of the risk to his safety

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
The Albion hero that never was
RIP

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Really, really tragic. I saw a video of the moment it happened without realizing what it was and it's truly dreadful.

Questions have to be asked at an appropriate time about how he was allowed to keep playing after his diagnosis.

RIP

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Shit, that really is dreadful. I automatically feared the worst when I saw this thread reappear.

Tragic. It shouldn’t have happened but it’s easier for us to say that from the UK and the education we’ve benefitted from. It’s very different for a kid who grew up in Africa and facing very different pressures. RIP Raphael. So sad.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Seems he was shocked back to life on the pitch in 2021!

Dwamena was diagnosed with a heart condition in 2017. In January 2020, while at Levante UD he had an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) implanted through surgery, which enabled his club to monitor his heart during matches.[17][21] In October 2020, the ICD showed values which were considered too high, and his club at the time, Vejle Boldklub, withdrew him from team activities as a result.[21]

In October 2021 in Austrian Cup match during the first half of Blau-Weiss Linz's game against Harterg, Dwamena collapsed on pitch and was shocked by the ICD and stabilized quickly.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
just absolutely awful. completely understand why he wanted to keep playing, but at the same time questions have to be asked to the clubs that allowed it to happen when his heart condition was so well publicised

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Tragic, RIP

You have to question the thought process of those who allowed him to keep playing

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Seems he was shocked back to life on the pitch in 2021!

Dwamena was diagnosed with a heart condition in 2017. In January 2020, while at Levante UD he had an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) implanted through surgery, which enabled his club to monitor his heart during matches.[17][21] In October 2020, the ICD showed values which were considered too high, and his club at the time, Vejle Boldklub, withdrew him from team activities as a result.[21]

In October 2021 in Austrian Cup match during the first half of Blau-Weiss Linz's game against Harterg, Dwamena collapsed on pitch and was shocked by the ICD and stabilized quickly.
Terrible tragic news, and I can understand why a football crazy young man will want to play, however as you read his career at each of the clubs he had been at since his medical with us, found the issue, and the amount of times he's collapsed because of it, it is tragic that the governing bodies FIFA/UEFA haven't implemented some universal rule to stop such a thing from being possible, rather than allowing a move to another jurisdiction.

Poor fella may still be alive. RIP Raphael.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
While I can’t criticise the sentiments shown above, I think it salutary to look back at the reaction from NSC when the transfer to us failed. I’ve only looked up to post 1100 but apart from one or two exceptions there was little sympathy showed to the player himself, but tons of comments about a failure in our recruitment process and how our club had suffered from his medical results.
Shankly was wrong.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I remember that our medical team strongly recommended that he retired at the time of the medical with us.

I don't remember that bit (not suggesting it's not accurate)

I seem to recall too that Zurich owner was furious and subsequently said that their own medical team had picked up the same issue, but it would have no impact on his career.

but I remember that bit. Shameful.

Terribly sad news

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't remember that bit (not suggesting it's not accurate)

but I remember that bit. Shameful.

Terribly sad news
I’ve just read back through the thread, and it’s around post 999 where he fails the medical. There’s nothing said about us warming him not to play.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It's the inevitable end to a really tragic story but I can understand why he wanted to pursue his career in football. Ultimately, it's quote a selfish choice because from looking at the video on YouTube, you see 20-30 people at least who are devastated at what they've seen and that will never leave them.

This could easily have been Enock Mwepu if he hadn't taken the advice to retire seriously.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's the inevitable end to a really tragic story but I can understand why he wanted to pursue his career in football. Ultimately, it's quote a selfish choice because from looking at the video on YouTube, you see 20-30 people at least who are devastated at what they've seen and that will never leave them.

This could easily have been Enock Mwepu if he hadn't taken the advice to retire seriously.
Very sad but without knowing the full story it's difficult to know what pressure he was under from others to play. Maybe he was the big bread winner for his extended family in Ghana or maybe his agent saw him as his meal ticket and reassured him to keep playing. We'll probably never know. However, if it highlights to just one other player the dangers of playing against medical advice his death won't totally be in vane.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here