Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Random Breath test

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I did think about buying one of those self checking breathalysers but did hear that they were unreliable. No objection to random checks personally.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I did think about buying one of those self checking breathalysers but did hear that they were unreliable. No objection to random checks personally.

They'd have no legal standing whatsoever and wouldn't provide any sort of defence if you got caught drink-driving.

But I guess if somebody was minded to test themself one morning after a heavy night maybe, and then the result made them think twice about driving, it might not be a bad thing.

Disappointing how many people still do drive after a few pints. I had someone in a few days ago (mid afternoon too) who could barely stand up straight, let alone focus on the road. Amazing that she ever thought she might be alright to drive. I suppose she was beyond the point of rational decision-making by that stage. She was on the road right about the same time the local schools kicked out. Scary.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
And I think most cars will do that thing where the indicators flash really rapidly if one of them has blown.
:

That's actually down to the reduced load on the relay (I think - its a bit early in the morning...) causing the faster flash rather than an intentional feature but it still lets all but the thickest know what's wrong.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That's actually down to the reduced load on the relay (I think - its a bit early in the morning...) causing the faster flash rather than an intentional feature but it still lets all but the thickest know what's wrong.

That makes sense :thumbsup:

But it's bloody annoying when it does that so at least it makes you want to do something about it.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
We had a feller in once for excess alcohol who pleaded not guilty on the basis that, whilst he admitted he was over the limit, he thought the excuse given by the police officer for stopping him was too flimsy.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They'd have no legal standing whatsoever and wouldn't provide any sort of defence if you got caught drink-driving.

But I guess if somebody was minded to test themself one morning after a heavy night maybe, and then the result made them think twice about driving, it might not be a bad thing.

Disappointing how many people still do drive after a few pints. I had someone in a few days ago (mid afternoon too) who could barely stand up straight, let alone focus on the road. Amazing that she ever thought she might be alright to drive. I suppose she was beyond the point of rational decision-making by that stage. She was on the road right about the same time the local schools kicked out. Scary.

It's illegal to not have 2 of them with you when you drive in France.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The conversation went along the lines of:

PC; Good evening Sussex Police are doing a summer safe driving initiative. Have you had a drink this evening ?
Wife: No I am the driver he is the drinker.
PC Thank you thats how it should be (laughing) have a safe trip goodnight.

There were 2 cars, I either side of the road obviously the drivers were taking breath tests. No doubt this will happen throughout Sussex and I have no objection whatsoever.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The conversation went along the lines of:

PC; Good evening Sussex Police are doing a summer safe driving initiative. Have you had a drink this evening ?
Wife: No I am the driver he is the drinker.
PC Thank you thats how it should be (laughing) have a safe trip goodnight.

There were 2 cars, I either side of the road obviously the drivers were taking breath tests. No doubt this will happen throughout Sussex and I have no objection whatsoever.

Doing it every day at the moment.

Summer is a bigger problem for drink driving than Christmas, believe it or not.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
There'll be plenty of roadside drug tests this summer, given the new legislation which came into force in March :thumbsup:

Whilst I’m certainly not against cracking down on drug-driving, I understand the limits imposed are arbitrary and not based on any studies. It’s also impossible for anyone to know if they’re over the limit. You could argue that, as these drugs are illegal, people shouldn’t have them in their systems anyway. But this is surely about making our roads safer, not banging people up / banning people from driving for taking drugs. Furthermore, some studies have shown, believe it or not, that mild to moderate stonedness, if that’s a word, can actually improve driving as it reduces risk-taking.

I think I’d prefer to see a test based on impairment (due to anything – drink, drugs, tiredness, illness, etc.), as per your video. I guess it may be argued that this wouldn’t be practical?

What I would say is that there are still a hell of a lot of people out there drink-driving. You only need to drive along the A259 on a Sunday afternoon to see people swerving all over the road. Not to mention people using their mobile phones and doing their makeup. It would be good to see some of these “low hanging fruit” dealt with.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Whilst I’m certainly not against cracking down on drug-driving, I understand the limits imposed are arbitrary and not based on any studies. It’s also impossible for anyone to know if they’re over the limit. You could argue that, as these drugs are illegal, people shouldn’t have them in their systems anyway. But this is surely about making our roads safer, not banging people up / banning people from driving for taking drugs. Furthermore, some studies have shown, believe it or not, that mild to moderate stonedness, if that’s a word, can actually improve driving as it reduces risk-taking.

I think I’d prefer to see a test based on impairment (due to anything – drink, drugs, tiredness, illness, etc.), as per your video. I guess it may be argued that this wouldn’t be practical?

What I would say is that there are still a hell of a lot of people out there drink-driving. You only need to drive along the A259 on a Sunday afternoon to see people swerving all over the road. Not to mention people using their mobile phones and doing their makeup. It would be good to see some of these “low hanging fruit” dealt with.

Well perhaps if you see one of these people swerving all over the road, you could let the police know, then they could have the chance to deal with them, y'know?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Well perhaps if you see one of these people swerving all over the road, you could let the police know, then they could have the chance to deal with them, y'know?

Indeed, I intend to next time I see someone in a bad way! There was a woman all over the road on New England Road last Sunday at about 5pm, she looked sozzled. I was unfortunately too busy trying to avoid crashing into her to catch her numberplate!

I understand you can now text details for this? Does this number work for Sussex too?

"People should text the word "DRINK" to 80800 with details of the vehicle, and when and where the person will be drinking. The driver's name is not necessary."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-27661744

I'd seriously recommend some patrols on the A259 in Peacehaven on Sunday afternoons though. Resources permitting. I've had two people in front of me screech to a halt at green traffic lights in the last month or so!

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
There'll be plenty of roadside drug tests this summer, given the new legislation which came into force in March :thumbsup:

Wow, she didn't get anywhere near the white line! :ohmy:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
When you drive in France, you're required, by law, to carry 2 breathalyser kits in your car.

It's illegal to not have 2 of them with you when you drive in France.

They revoled that law. And even when they did have it, it was actually illegal not to have ONE. People carried two because if you were stopped and had to use it you wouldn't legally be able to drive away as you would have none.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Doing it every day at the moment.

Summer is a bigger problem for drink driving than Christmas, believe it or not.

What a pity you didn't stop BG's vehicle and your taser malfunctioned :rolleyes:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I understand you can now text details for this? Does this number work for Sussex too?

"People should text the word "DRINK" to 80800 with details of the vehicle, and when and where the person will be drinking. The driver's name is not necessary."

Think it's 65999 for Sussex. I will check & find out. Realistically, if you saw someone absolutely battered about to get into their car & drive, you'd be perfectly justified in calling 999.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Think it's 65999 for Sussex. I will check & find out. Realistically, if you saw someone absolutely battered about to get into their car & drive, you'd be perfectly justified in calling 999.

Thanks, I would like to know! Yes, I probably would, but it's not quite so easy when they're already driving, they could be having some sort of psychotic episode or something!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here