Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ralf Rangnick

luge

Dec 18, 2010
I did a piece on him and Schalke a couple of years back when they played man utd.

He's a cool guy, and talked fondly of his time in Brighton. Had a chat about the Amex (was still being built then)...He'd not fully kept up with the club but had heard of the new stadium and hoped it would change the fortunes of the albion. Went to the goldstone a few times IIRC.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Rangnick on a three-man shortlist for the Everton job with Roberto Martinez and one other according to (yes, I know) Sky sources.

It's not just Sky, it is in the Guardian this morning, and the third candidate is the manager of Porto, whose name escapes me.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Some of us were putting his name forward when the whole Gus to Reading (and maybe before when Wolves was being talked about) thing emerged.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Martinez to Everton
Gus to Wigan
Rangnick to Albion

Good resolution.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
would be happy with this. To be fair I would be happy with anyone at the moment, becoming a bit like the hinslewood saga post peter taylor.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Schalke coach learned his craft playing for non-League Southwick

• Ralf Rangnick played for a Sussex team in his youth
• He describes that period as 'totally inspirational'

The Observer, Sunday 24 April 2011

Ralf Rangnick's route to the top of the European game has been particularly wayward. Schalke's new manager has risen from such depths of obscurity that when he watches his team take on Manchester United on Tuesday he will surely become the first Champions League semi-final manager whose CV includes a stint coaching in Germany's ninth tier and a spell playing in England's.

His English experience came 31 years ago when, as a 21-year-old, he was studying for a degree in English and physical education at Stuttgart University. As part of the course he spent a year at the University of Sussex in Brighton; soon after his arrival he sought a trial with the local non-League side Southwick.

Gary Brown was a team‑mate and remembers Rangnick as an energetic midfielder. "He came down, had a couple of training sessions, liked it and stayed," he says. "He was a really nice guy and worked extremely hard. When you're training two nights a week, you have to pack so much into those two nights and he really used to give everything he had. You couldn't wish for an easier bloke to work with, as a manager. He was always interested in what you wanted."

Some 154 people watched as Rangnick made his debut against Steyning Town on 13 October 1979. "I think he found it a bit different when he first got here," says Brown. "In Germany they did proper warm-ups prior to kick-off but there was none of that in the UK: five minutes before kick-off the bell went and you lined up behind the captain and went out. I remember before his first game here he turned up a couple of hours before anyone else."

In his third appearance, an FA Vase encounter against Eastbourne Town, Rangnick suffered a serious injury – two broken ribs and a punctured lung – that ruled him out for three months. "There was no intent from my opponent," he said, "but I couldn't play for four months." Rangnick made 11 appearances, all but two of them as a substitute. But he remembers his time in Sussex as "one of the best years of my life" and credits Southwick with aiding his subsequent success.

"The most important thing for me was the amount of coaching we did on the pitch," the German says. "There was hardly a situation where we didn't spur each other on, doing some coaching among ourselves or motivating each other. That was totally inspirational for me and certainly moulded me."

Brown was not surprised by the comments. "We had five ex-pros in the squad, including myself and my cousin Stan, so you're going to get that. And it wasn't all rollickings and bollockings, it was encouragement. We had a good mixture of old experienced professionals and young players and the blend was really good. The team spirit got us through quite a few dodgy games and I think that's what rubbed off on him."

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
'I lived near Brighton for a year. For me these were some of the best months of my life. I lived with a family and I am still in contact with them today. Twice a week I would take the fast train to London and watch a First Division game (bloody plastic).

'I'd see either Arsenal or Tottenham usually. But Brighton and Hove Albion were in the First Division then so I'd go to the old Goldstone Ground. It was one of the best years of my life.

'I was studying English and PE at Stuttgart university. I was a guest student at Sussex university.' And Dickens? 'Yeah, it was hard times to read his work, the books were so thick, 1,000 pages. For me, that was hard times.'

Rangnick also played while in Brighton. He had been a junior with Stuttgart but never made it as a top-flight professional. In England he joined a local team.

'I played for Southwick - do you know that club? I had longer hair then,' he said. He broke two ribs in his second match.

Southwick FC were in Sussex County League Division One then. Their secretary Paul Symes said: 'Ralf Rangnick was here for about six months, he was at a local college. He played two or three times in the first team, in the Floodlit Cup v Worthing. One lad from back then remembered the name but couldn't remember how good he was.'

Rangnick made an impression - as a leaving gift Southwick's players bought him a ticket for the Arsenal v West Ham 1980 FA Cup final - and soon proved to be good at coaching.

He returned to Stuttgart and coached the amateur and youth sides before embarking on a managerial career that took him back to Stuttgart aged 40 in 1999.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Ralfie Rangnick's blue and white army.

Oh yes!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here