Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rainbow Amex

theboybilly

Here’s the view from the west stand:

0155ad518d383ed910348c2107682a06.jpg

Thought it looked great! Literally can't imagine thinking it was embarrassing, but some people are set on making life harder for themselves and others I suppose.

I was a bit worried that there would be loads of gaps and it would look horrible but the East Stand to their credit made a good display. I thought it was an excellent thing to do

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
As this topic tends to shut down debate with the usual homophobe/21st century accusations, rather than foster an open discussion about it, my question here is probably in vain. However, I'll pose it anyway. I wonder what the ultimate aim or strategy of the Rainbow Laces campaign is? Is it to kick homophobia out of football? Is it to encourage players to come out as gay, because there must be many who just haven't? Is it for fans who may be gay? Is it to kick homophobic chanting out of stands? Or is it all of these?

I ask because the aims, at this current moment in time, seem to be contradictory. If there aren't any openly gay footballers, then how can there be targeted homophobic abuse (of the likes we saw happen to Fred yesterday in the Manchester derby)? If it's to cut out the generic chants (e.g. you're too ugly to be gay) like the ones Albion fans have been subjected to ever since I can remember, then these songs were dumb in the first place, albeit fairly inocuous. If it's to encourage footballers to come out as gay, I think it may be downplaying the very practical concerns a player may have to do this. In the media and broader public, I'm sure they would be heralded and applauded for being brave to do so. However, a player who is gay may have very real concerns about how this would change the dynamics of his dressing room and the way his teammates would act around him. This isn't to say his teammates would be homophobic or need to be educated more, but the reasons why we don't have mixed changing rooms in gyms, swimming pools etc. are perhaps some of the reasons why coming out as openly gay in a team environment may be more problematic than say, in the world of showbiz and entertainment.

Jan 30, 2008
A bit like those people moaning about the Brexit Party leafleting at Falmer station last match-day keeping oddly quiet today when it was Labour and Extinction Rebellion.

Watford bloke must have been a busy bunny with all that canvassing and flag waving :safeway:
Regards
DF

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The rainbow laces is very worthly but from the welcome matt to the cards on seats with instructiions of what you have to do all seemed a bit contrived to me. People should be able to go to a football without being told what to do when they do. As I said all worthy but a little less preaching

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Thought it was fantastic, and as said by stato the club is 100% on the right side here. And it actually looked pretty good, message aside.

It's impossible to disassociate the club with the community of the city, and at the end of the day, when there's so much in the world to complain about, why choose to complain about a celebration of inclusivity and positivity?

And it sounds like it has upset all the right people too....

Also, whilst I don't like the man at all, this from Graeme Sounds I thought was a great piece on commentary on homophobia in the football community, and plaudits to him for wanting to educate himself:
https://twitter.com/footballdaily/status/1203669713114542080?s=20

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A bit like those people moaning about the Brexit Party leafleting at Falmer station last match-day keeping oddly quiet today when it was Labour and Extinction Rebellion.

Feel free to start a thread about it. I noticed Labour and ignored them. The difference with the Labour Party is that they are actually fielding candidates in every seat and haven't completely lost their ringpiece, whilst having most of their elected officals defect. Extinction Rebelliion? Would have got just as short shrift from me as the Brexit boys but didn't see them, which is odd as they're normally glued to something important.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
But we went to watch a FOOTBALL MATCH. We don't want a visual sermon pre kick-off.

Actually ‘you’ don’t want this. The chairman and the vast majority of fans supported it so this falls into the ‘tough shit’ category.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
As this topic tends to shut down debate with the usual homophobe/21st century accusations, rather than foster an open discussion about it, my question here is probably in vain. However, I'll pose it anyway. I wonder what the ultimate aim or strategy of the Rainbow Laces campaign is? Is it to kick homophobia out of football? Is it to encourage players to come out as gay, because there must be many who just haven't? Is it for fans who may be gay? Is it to kick homophobic chanting out of stands? Or is it all of these?

I ask because the aims, at this current moment in time, seem to be contradictory. If there aren't any openly gay footballers, then how can there be targeted homophobic abuse (of the likes we saw happen to Fred yesterday in the Manchester derby)? If it's to cut out the generic chants (e.g. you're too ugly to be gay) like the ones Albion fans have been subjected to ever since I can remember, then these songs were dumb in the first place, albeit fairly inocuous. If it's to encourage footballers to come out as gay, I think it may be downplaying the very practical concerns a player may have to do this. In the media and broader public, I'm sure they would be heralded and applauded for being brave to do so. However, a player who is gay may have very real concerns about how this would change the dynamics of his dressing room and the way his teammates would act around him. This isn't to say his teammates would be homophobic or need to be educated more, but the reasons why we don't have mixed changing rooms in gyms, swimming pools etc. are perhaps some of the reasons why coming out as openly gay in a team environment may be more problematic than say, in the world of showbiz and entertainment.

Let me google it for you

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
But we went to watch a FOOTBALL MATCH. We don't want a visual sermon pre kick-off.

A "visual sermon"? :lolol:

I must tell the vicar who bored me shitless as a child and turned me in to an athiest that he could have just held up some Schultz cartoons. I might have stayed.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
thought it was embarrassing and makes us a bit of a laughing stock if I’m honest

A laughing stock? If our football club proudly represents our city, as we all like to think it does, then entirely appropriate. Glad we did it properly rather than a token effort.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Maybe we should have a different "good cause" at each game? "Stop smoking" cards to wave maybe for the next game, "support food banks" for the one after that, then a "be nice to travellers" theme (the ones with caravans that we used to be allowed to call pikeys) … that would be fun because we'd be instructed to leave the cards strewn all over the pitch at the end of the game … , the possibilities are endless ...

I think the club are ahead of you and have that lined up for 29th February next year...

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Evening all. I was one of the people waving waving the Rainbow flags on the pitch before the match today. As Sky hardly showed any of it in their coverage, if anyone has any photos they were happy to share I'd appreciate it :) Thanks in advance!

image.jpeg

You're welcome Sally :D

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Maybe we should have a different "good cause" at each game? "Stop smoking" cards to wave maybe for the next game, "support food banks" for the one after that, then a "be nice to travellers" theme (the ones with caravans that we used to be allowed to call pikeys) … that would be fun because we'd be instructed to leave the cards strewn all over the pitch at the end of the game … , the possibilities are endless ...

:ffsparr: Christ

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

1) If you don’t want to see it, shut your eyes! This is something I sense you might be good at.
2) Or if you don’t like it, don’t go?

Sometimes life really can be this simple.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I had to resort to 5 live for the game today as a long drive back from the North and they commented how exceptional the rainbow in the West Stand was and looking at the photos I agree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here