Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Railway silly season

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Usual crap, someone buys something with specific t & cs and then when they break them and get caught whinge like mad.
Pretty rich from you. The biggest whiner on the board when it came to the perfectly fair rule governing Albion ticket distribution. I refer of course to your ridiculous whinging over your lack of West Ham ticket.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They bought a ticket with a specific destination. If they wish to go elsewhere, they are supposed to buy the appropriate ticket. They didn't buy the appropriate ticket because it was more expensive.

They have gained a discount to a train station that was not available.
They have cheated the train company out of the appropriate fare for the journey they took.

Jesus H Corbett.

Are you, perchance, a steward ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
selective application of rules as people seem fit by some arbitary non specified code

Jesus christ. Please walk away, pause, come back and re-read what you have written.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pretty rich from you. The biggest whiner on the board when it came to the perfectly fair rule governing Albion ticket distribution. I refer of course to your ridiculous whinging over your lack of West Ham ticket.

Brilliant.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Usual crap, someone buys something with specific t & cs and then when they break them and get caught whinge like mad.

Until now, no-one has answered my question about what would happen if you were taken ill and had to leave the train early. But Beach Hut has made it clear that illness is no excuse as the T&Cs state quite clearly that journeys can't be broken.

It's a particularly shabby way to treat people and I see no justification for it whatsoever.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Jesus christ. Please walk away, pause, come back and re-read what you have written.

sorry, did i miss a hyphen and probably a comma? Jesus wept.

or are you suggesting something else ???

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
come off it, i've made it clear im backing the adhereance of the contracts, not the railway's actions itself. i dont think they are clever to do so, but they are within their rights. its not a "last card", just an observation.

seems theres a trend im not part of, selective application of rules as people seem fit by some arbitary non specified code, rather than finding fault with the underlying problem (so it goes unchecked). i blame relativism.
I bet you have a contract with your place of work, and I bet there are clauses in that you don't like that haven't been enforced. For example, most places reserve the right to insist you work bank holidays when required. However, if they insisted you did so, then you found yourself twiddling your thumbs at your desk all day without full explanation, you might reasonably be a little pissed off at that.

Similarly, if I buy a ticket from station A to B, which also stops at my preferred destination C, my interpretation would definitely have been that no-one is going to care if I get off at C. And is there a compelling reason for this part of the conditions to be enforced? I would genuinely like an answer to that from the train people on here. I won't hold my breath for one though.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I was worried that it would be a bit quiet on here today but this thread is coming to the boil nicely.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Until now, no-one has answered my question about what would happen if you were taken ill and had to leave the train early. But Beach Hut has made it clear that illness is no excuse as the T&Cs state quite clearly that journeys can't be broken.

It's a particularly shabby way to treat people and I see no justification for it whatsoever.

So, if this couple had also purchased a ticket from the stop before Eastleigh to Eastleigh what would then happen? They would have one ticket which forces them off at Eastleigh, and one which forces them to go to the next stop. You cannot be in two places at once so which ticket would take precedence? And have the rail operator been so petty as to include this in their terms and conditions?

P.S. I've got too much time on my hands.

I agree that the rail company are complete arseholes to have these rules in place. It is absolutely crazy that they are allowed to get away with it. Where is the ORR in all of this?

However, having said that, it seems to me (only going on that limited article, mind) that these people knew exactly what they were doing, and were content to play the system. Two anytime day singles from Southampton to Eastleigh would have cost them the grand total of £6.40, and would have made what they did perfectly legal. However, not content with paying a meagre £6 each for their journey, they chose not to do this. That, and the subsequent fine, is their fault.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
However, having said that, it seems to me (only going on that limited article, mind) that these people knew exactly what they were doing, and were content to play the system. Two anytime day singles from Southampton to Eastleigh would have cost them the grand total of £6.40, and would have made what they did perfectly legal. However, not content with paying a meagre £6 each for their journey, they chose not to do this. That, and the subsequent fine, is their fault.

Hang on.
They were returning from London to Southampton, but got off two stops early at Eastleigh. The price of a single from Southampton to Eastleigh is irrelevent - they wern't going back on themselves, they'd already paid to travel from London to Southampton, but jumped off a couple of stops beforehand for their own convenience.

Are you suggesting they should've seeked out a ticket inspector and paid an additional £6.40 so they could get off early ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... I bet there are clauses in that you don't like that haven't been enforced. For example, most places reserve the right ...
glad you qualified it like that, because you are quite right. but i doubt that applies here, not seen a ticket or t&C "reserve the right" to fine you.

Similarly, if I buy a ticket from station A to B, which also stops at my preferred destination C, my interpretation would definitely have been that no-one is going to care if I get off at C. And is there a compelling reason for this part of the conditions to be enforced?

again, im glad your example doesnt distingiush between point C being before or after point B. most people would agree if it was after then this would be improper. so it seems obvious if the ticket if strictly for route A-B only, that this too is improper.

all seems a distraction from the underlying problem of shit conditions applied to saver fares.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Totally different as that was a flawed system where some 27,000 people could apply where as this is a specific contract agreement where t & cs were agreed.

Hang on.
They were returning from London to Southampton, but got off two stops early at Eastleigh. The price of a single from Southampton to Eastleigh is irrelevent - they wern't going back on themselves, they'd already paid to travel from London to Southampton, but jumped off a couple of stops beforehand for their own convenience.

Are you suggesting they should've seeked out a ticket inspector and paid an additional £6.40 so they could get off early ?

Yes. Call me a ticket Nazi, or whatever you want, but regardless of the rights and wrongs of the t&cs, they booked the tickets with a full understanding of what those t&cs are (there's even a little box that you have to tick to say you've read them. If you chose not to do that, then it's your own fault), and then did not adhere to them. As I've said twice in this thread now, the rules are ridiculous, but they are still rules.

Easy, are you one of these people (I know there are plenty on here) that abhors traffic wardens because they dare fine/clamp people who are illegally parked? Because I'm sorry but the that's exactly what this argument reminds me of.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Totally different as that was a flawed system where some 27,000 people could apply where as this is a specific contract agreement where t & cs were agreed.

27,000? Really?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not really. You made a complete fuss over ticket distribution just because you didn't get one. It was a perfectly fair method, in so far as we all knew how tickets were distributed beforehand.

Here, t & cs include a totally unreasonable clause (to most sane people) and if it had happened to you, I can't begin to imagine the fuss you'd have made, given your track record.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
underlying problem of shit conditions applied to saver fares.

I used a saver ticket this weekend from Brighton to Victoria ONLY. This ticket did not say I could get off at East Croydon, though the train stopped there. If I had chosen to get off I would have expected a fine.

If you don't understand what the problem is with a fine here then you are an idiot.

AN IDIOT.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And since you are paying attention Beach Hut, could you reply to this?

is there a compelling reason for this part of the conditions to be enforced? I would genuinely like an answer to that from the train people on here. I won't hold my breath for one though.

I bet you don't. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here