Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Railway silly season

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
I have brought a ticket from lancing to london online from southern and then got off at hove to watch the cricket on the way back and then continued my journey afterwards before, as the barrier didnt swallow my ticket.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
they obviously got a bargain ticket and realised that they couldn't get such a deal to Eastleigh. otherwise they surely would have done.

In future they should buy a single from Southampton to Eastleigh in addition to their bargain £6 jobby rather than trying to bend the rules for themselves

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Utterly ridiculous, of course. It would be if we were talking about some nominal fine but 100-odd quid? Insane. And anyone defending it needs to go away, maybe take a nice long walk, and think about how utterly insane it is, really. It's hard to know for sure of course but the idea of this happening in any other (fairly) civilised country seems impossible to imagine too.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'm more curious to find where the hell they managed to find 6 quid singles. SWT are robbing bastards who don't offer any kind of cheap tickets unless you travel from west of the New Forest.

I'm even more confused as to how they got caught as there are no barriers at Eastleigh.

You can get some cheap tickets on SWT through the megatrain website.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
It cost us 9.50 each way to get to Edinburgh up the Eastcoast from London Kings X.

We had a set train to catch. If we missed it, we were screwed and would pay 100 or so.

Its totally fair. We understand that cheap tickes are cheap for a reason. We can't get on later, on a different stop, we can't get off at peterborough for a party. We had a set thing and paid a heavily slashed price so we could go on holiday cheaply. I don't get the fuss.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It cost us 9.50 each way to get to Edinburgh up the Eastcoast from London Kings X.

We had a set train to catch. If we missed it, we were screwed and would pay 100 or so.

Its totally fair. We understand that cheap tickes are cheap for a reason. We can't get on later, on a different stop, we can't get off at peterborough for a party. We had a set thing and paid a heavily slashed price so we could go on holiday cheaply. I don't get the fuss.

They were on their return journey, and simply decided to get off 2 stops early.

If someone can explain how this in any way materially or detrimentally affects the rail company who they'd paid, their fellow passengers, or the world in general then I'd be happy to be enlightened.

As it stands, it looks to me like a petty and vindictive example of Jobsworthness towards two paying customers, and a complete rip-off to boot.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I'm even more confused as to how they got caught as there are no barriers at Eastleigh.

Good point that seems to have been missed here - So must have been faced with an Ernest character at the barriers :eek:

I guess they couldn't have just got on the next train to S'hampton to complete journey ? A simple ' I was feeling sick and needed air..' might have done enough..

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
so what about this for an example then..

I've bought an advance ticket to London Victoria when we play Charlton next month. I've also bought a ticket from Clapham Junction to Charlton (standard fare).

Would I therefore be in breach of my ticket for not getting off at LV?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
so what about this for an example then..

I've bought an advance ticket to London Victoria when we play Charlton next month. I've also bought a ticket from Clapham Junction to Charlton (standard fare).

Would I therefore be in breach of my ticket for not getting off at LV?

Yes and now YOU have confessed to ATTEMPTING a CRIME I will make SURE that Interpol are ALERTED :facepalm:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Don't tell them your name Dave. :facepalm:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If someone can explain how this in any way materially or detrimentally affects the rail company who they'd paid, their fellow passengers, or the world in general then I'd be happy to be enlightened.

that is all besides the point. you buy the cheap ticket knowing there are restrictions and those are the conditions. its a contract. by breaking the contract you are liable to a fine.

i think we can all agree that the existance of the restrictions is mind-numbingly stupid, but they are conditons of sale none the less. should we simply start ignoring all conditions and contracts that dont seem "fair" or sensible, or where breaking them would not materially affect one party?

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
that is all besides the point. you buy the cheap ticket knowing there are restrictions and those are the conditions. its a contract. by breaking the contract you are liable to a fine.

i think we can all agree that the existance of the restrictions is mind-numbingly, but they are conditons of sale none the less. should we simply start ignoring all conditions and contracts that dont seem "fair" or sensible, or where breaking them would not materially affect one party?

Can you not take a step back from the small-print and see the bigger picture though ?

A train is a public service, they had paid to use that public service, and simply decided to disembark two stops from their final destination. Restrictions are fair enough insofar as they are obliged to catch a specific train there and back, but surely to CHRIST we're not living under some kind of Gestapo law that forbids customers from getting off a train before their station. Their destination was Southampton, not Auschwitz.

Its a mean and pointless fine and completely unjustifiable. Its quite depressing that some people come down on the side of the rip-off rail company and its mealy-mouthed justifications for this, but I guess if they've got the opportunity to legally thieve this cash from their customers then they're going to do it.

Still stinks though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You could argue that its an unfair contract term and I would be interested to see the small print saying you cant disembark at an earlier stop.

It really is jobs for the boys and the world has gone mad.

Utterly, utterly ridiculous.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It's a same as when you buy a cheap airline ticket, you are restricted to that one flight

Telegraph Report said:
Emma Clark and her fiancé Davyd Winter-Bates were travelling home to Southampton, Hants, from London when they decided to alight early at Eastleigh.

However, they were shocked that the stewardess wouldn't let them off as they were still 8,000ft from the ground.

Not really the same

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
at a time when we are being encouraged to use public transport you get this petty minded stupidity. I despair of these petty minded little men who are doing the best to become unemployed.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I guess they couldn't have just got on the next train to S'hampton to complete journey ? A simple ' I was feeling sick and needed air..' might have done enough..

As a matter of interest, I wonder if that would have been accepted as an excuse. I've certainly got off a train early as I wasn't feeling too great - would SWT really try to penalise someone for being ill?

You could argue that its an unfair contract term and I would be interested to see the small print saying you cant disembark at an earlier stop.

It's a pity that they paid it and didn't argue it in court. The fact that it's in a contract doesn't mean that it's fair one. I wonder if this would face up to legal scrutiny.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not quite sure how anyone can defend the railway company.

One of the conditions of buying a ticket at Withdean is to sit in the seat on the ticket. Hands up who has sat in a different seat ? Maybe the club should fine people who break the conditions of the ticket by sitting in the wrong seat or standing up ? Thought not !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can you not take a step back from the small-print and see the bigger picture though ?

Its a mean and pointless fine and completely unjustifiable. Its quite depressing that some people come down on the side of the rip-off rail company and its mealy-mouthed justifications for this, but I guess if they've got the opportunity to legally thieve this cash from their customers then they're going to do it.

Still stinks though.

i thought i had, by acknowleging the restrictions are wrong. im not on the side of the rail company, but the side of law. they have purchased ticket from A to B then got off at C. surely you wouldnt find it acceptable to go to a station further on, even though that wouldnt materially effect the rail company either? i'm sure we have had a detail or two omitted, it may be that the tickets were intended to be used only on an express/no stop train, they have used a different service (with different costings) to circumvent the system. hey, i've done it myself, in the full knowledge that a fine would be the probable consequene if i got caught.

at the end of the day, the ticket were no valid. do we just ignore all the rules on tickets, or just ignore those we think are wrong?

and it seems you invoke Godwins law, very unnecessarily.

Last edited:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I'm more curious to find where the hell they managed to find 6 quid singles. SWT are robbing bastards who don't offer any kind of cheap tickets unless you travel from west of the New Forest.

They sometimes have ticket officers (who look like the Withdean stewards) at the bottom of the stairs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here