Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raheem Sterling's solution to racism at football

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
and get a 2 year ban from Barber

Sterlings idea at best papers over the cracks. Doesn't stop racism or educate

True. I like Chelsea's educational programme for fans guilty of anti semmetic chanting. They took them to Auschwitz. Instant reform.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Out of interest, why do you think this is nothing but self-promotion? Personally I could not tell either way, so I’m intrigued how you concluded this.

Admittedly I think the issues at the moment surrounding racism are key and have to be highlighted. So in context, I support what he's saying that clubs need to be seriously punished if their players,staff and/or fans fall below these lines of decency.

To clarify - I was bored of the agent or club doing their best to spoon feed stories into the media about him buying tickets for kids for our recent semi-final defeat. Watched the BBC milking it for all it was worth at half-time and it turned my stomach.

I'll bring the topic of Notre Dame into this as it's a few streets away from where I currently reside. Rich businessmen making extravagant donations to the restoration project. Good on you but why do people have to know about it?

We live in a world of narcissistic, grandstanders. It's probably always been the case throughout history. Doesn't mean I have to like it though.

Cheers for your insight as well Harry Wilson's Tackle. Accuse a person of unsubstantiated racism from the comfort of your mum and dad's attic. Bravo.

Last edited:

NorthStandSteward

Jan 14, 2014
Worked as a steward in the Northstand for two and a half years and never heard a racist word as much as muttered, only had it once reported and it was by a Newport fan in the away section, seem to reember him being spoken to by the police and getting some sort of ban.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Admittedly I think the issues at the moment surrounding racism are key and have to be highlighted. So in context, I support what he's saying that clubs need to be seriously punished if their players,staff and/or fans fall below these lines of decency.

To clarify - I was bored of the agent or club doing their best to spoon feed stories into the media about him buying tickets for kids for our recent semi-final defeat. Watched the BBC milking it for all it was worth at half-time and it turned my stomach.

I'll bring the topic of Notre Dame into this as it's a few streets away from where I currently reside. Rich businessmen making extravagant donations to the restoration project. Good on you but why do people have to know about it?

We live in a world of narcissistic, grandstanders. It's probably always been the case throughout history. Doesn't mean I have to like it though.

Cheers for your insight as well Harry Wilson's Tackle. Accuse a person of unsubstantiated racism from the comfort of your mum and dad's attic. Bravo.

Fair enough. I can see where you’re coming from. I didn’t think this personally though.

Not sure what you mean, or who you’re accusing, in your last sentence though.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Better explain that one to Wayne Hennessy.

But that's part of the problem.

If the FA refuses to sanction a PL player - a role model for kids - for giving a nazi salute does that not suggest that the FA isn't really serious about kicking out racism? There was a golden opportunity to spell out the message loud and clear that racism - by fans or players - will not be tolerated under any circumstances. But they bottled it.

The senile blazers running the game have got to get a grip of racism and, indeed, homophobia at every possible opportunity.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm all in favour so long as we can retrospectively apply it to Burnley.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Would you stop someone from racist chanting? Would you report them to the stewards?
Would you be more inclined if to not do so put us at risk of being deducted 9 points?

That's the point. So often people turn the other way when there's unsavoury chanting, it's not at them so they don't care, or they chalk it up to 'bantz'. There are plenty of people one here who frequently come out against fans reporting their own - those that view snitching as the lowest of the low.

Putting the punishment on everyone at the club incentivises everyone at the club to tackle it.

Yes, it's a societal problem, and football is part of society. If every facet of society shrugs their shoulders because the problem is bigger than them it is never dealt with. If football stands up, it flows through. With social media highlighting incidents, such as what happened with Chelsea, should lead to people to applying those standards outside football stadia - travelling to the games, watching in pubs etc.

This is a great post. Although I think the biggest issue with it is the subjectivity defence. Who defines racism? How much proof do they need in order for a 9 point deduction to happen?

And from that, my biggest concern would be that you'd have some of fixing in the game in a title race or relegation dog fight where a player or some fans would claim to hear such things just to get the opposition a 9 point deduction.

Personally I'm on the fence and that's because racism of any kind is a criminal offence. Consequently, it should arguably be judged on that basis.

I do think expulsion from continental and world competitions for national teams that have fans caught committing such crimes could be viable. If FIFA could set such an example, it would hopefully filter down the chain to our level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here