Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raheem Sterling's solution to racism at football

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Also, I very much doubt it would run as simplistically as Raheem suggests. It wouldn't be 'one drunken fan used a word that no one realised was racist until the complain came in, 9 points deduction!'. There would, I presume, be scales and proportion, there would be some common sense around what actions were taken to avoid/action any incident.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You should have been at the last game at the Goldstone - that was pretty unsavoury. The only time that I've ever seen a banana luzzed at a black player. And there was plenty of sporadic racist chanting at away games in the 80s ... happily, it never caught on with the mass of our supporters.

I don't think Sterling was talking about the odd idiot, he's talking about the wholesale booing and chanting from 100s of fans. It happens all too often but, fortunately not at the Albion any more.

Presumably this. The alternative that appears the logical conclusion of the OP's post - no action taken against the club, or a meaningless fine - is no longer appropriate.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That may be so however other recipients might react differently to similar criticism .

That is irrelevant. If an individual reacts to non-racist stick by calling it racist he will be invited by the FA to do one.

And please don't reply by saying 'are you calling me a ****?' No, no I'm not :lolol::thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Probably not a good idea to jeer or boo any diverse player now as this could be misconstrued as racism .

I missed your previous post (above). You're just being silly, right?

Oh and full stops don't require spaces before them. That was one of the habitual foibles of the former poster known as Alfredmizen. ???

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Or seagull chant was thought to be a Nazi salute:ffsparr:

What a great report that was from a black reporter sent to the Den by the News of The World to get a story. He noted that the Millwall fans were chanting Seig Heil when it was in fact Albion fans chanting seagulls! I recall that the paper ended up apologising to both clubs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fed up with hearing about Raheem Sterling. Self-promotion central. Great footballer though.

Some of the posts on this thread are embarrassing. It reminds me of all that 'terrible business, her being raped, but fancy going out wearing that short skirt' bollocks of the 1970s.

I am baffled: in what way is RS 'self promoting' and what does he expect to achieve from all this self promotion? Presumably you imagine he has a slot lined up as a 6 music DJ or UN ambassador to somwhere nice? All he needs to do is put himself out there with a bit more 'self promotion' and Bob's your uncle. Or maybe this 'self promotion' is intended to get him a bigger salary at Citeh, or a more prominent role in the England set up? Bound to work. Genius.

Why not step back a moment and consider whether your comment might be based on racism? ???

Or perhaps your comment was just a bit of your own self promotion - may I wish you untold riches by way of reward.

:facepalm:

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I missed your previous post (above). You're just being silly, right?

Oh and full stops don't require spaces before them. That was one of the habitual foibles of the former poster known as Alfredmizen. ???

Silly or showing foresight ? time will decide I guess .

As for spaces before full stops , happy to be corrected. :bowdown:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was at the last game at the Goldstone, don't remember the banana incident but impressed with your memory. Wish I could remember detail like that!

I’m quite surprised you don’t remember it. Whilst you might have not seen it, it was a talking point afterwards.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Racism is a criminal offence and any individual who commits it should be dealt with by the criminal justice system. If someone does commit a racist offence in a cinema or shopping centre, or at work, I don't think those who run the organisation it happens in should face sanction, as long as they can shown they taken all reasonable steps to prevent it.

In the same way. I don't think the best solution to this is docking points or even fining the club necessarily. The club's role in all this, in my view, should be to assist the police in the collection of evidence for a prosecution and hopefully a guilty verdict and a prison sentence.

Collectively, football can do more. There's a colossal amount of money running around in British and European football and it would only take a small percentage of that to be able to run significant education programs, (sending ex players into schools to do talks etc)

D

Deleted member 18477

I don't believe you'll ever stop racism in football. We live in a world of people who love to follow... Be it a celebrity, sports team, tv programme, politician, gender, race, cult, religion...

Criminal offence yes, but you'll never stop racism in or out of football. England is one of the more accepting to multi cultural populations but a lot of other countries are not and are unlikely to ever be.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I am definitely Team Raheem, wonderful player and comes across as a thoroughly decent human being but docking points is not the answer. The full power of the law coming down on racist abusers is the answer and a permanent ban from any ground and naming and shaming. Clubs can only come encourage fans to report abuse and ensure culprits are referred to the police. It seems to be individual isolated incidents in the UK as opposed to wide spread mass abuse which you see on the continent and there is an argument for point docking for persistent abuse in theses cases.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fed up with hearing about Raheem Sterling. Self-promotion central. Great footballer though.

Out of interest, why do you think this is nothing but self-promotion? Personally I could not tell either way, so I’m intrigued how you concluded this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Punishing clubs for their supposed ‘supporters’ isn’t the right way to go about it.

There’s literally nothing they can do at the time, unless they tape everyone’s mouths shut as they come through the turnstiles.

We’ve come along way in the UK, but it still persists in small circles. Severely punish the individuals who are more interested in spouting racist/homophobic/etc abuse than watching the football, but don’t punish the clubs. They don’t condone it whatsoever.

My 2 cents. For what that’s worth.
The theory is that if the punishment was so severe, then fellow supporters would police their own, for fear of sanction.

It would only take one or two such punishments to curb any further racist acts by rational fans. The problem is these acts are often carried out by drunk or drugged up goons acting irrationally.

Facial recognition systems and mandatory life bans is the only solution, even if it isn't perfect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here