Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

raheem sterling to ask to leave liverpool this summer

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'm not saying it's the case for all of them but there are players – Zamora, for example – who don't enjoy playing football, and see it it as just a job. That means that they might not care (or might not care AS MUCH as others) when it comes to actually winning trophies, but they know if they do win trophies, they get more money. You only have to look at the attitude of some of the players that couldn't care less about the clubs they play for - they are only interested in the pay check.

I think the AMOUNT of money being paid to these players in wages – and the fees being paid to clubs – isn't helping the mercenary approach, and players that are in it for the money. Players such as Sterling have everything handed to them on a plate and have a team of people around them (agents, and the like) – not like in the old days when there were apprentices having to muck in, clean boots, show some respect to the senior players. I'm not naïve enough to think that would ever happen again, but when Real Madrid buy a 16-year-old for an extortionate amount of money, or when seemingly mediocre players are commanding tens of millions of pounds, there's got to be something wrong. I don't hold the players entirely responsible, by the way, as they know no different. It's the industry of football that continues to eat itself.

I remember after London 2012, there was deserved praise of all the athletes (from Team GB and elsewhere) that had achieved something at the games and made it what it was. At the same time, parallels were drawn with the multi-millionaire footballers and who is the better role model, who deserves the plaudits, and how we should re-assess how we hold footballers up on a pedestal higher than any other sportsperson in the country. Fast forward a few years and all that seems to be gone, which is a shame. The trouble is, the situation is only going to get worse, as more and more money is poured into the game, the 'pressure' to stay in the PL continues to ramp up, and there will eventually be such a gulf between Championship and Premier League that 17 clubs will remain in there forever, with three from each of the divisions swapping with each other every season.

In truth, I can see a time when Phil Gartside's suggestion of no relegation from the Premier League does become a reality, because the power of the clubs and the players will be so strong, any governing body won't be in a position to stop it.

*stands down from soap box*

I don't think that is the case. Zamora has certainly admitted that he isn't a football fan; he doesn't watch games, doesn't follow football, won't stay in the game when he retires; but that is very different from not actually enjoying playing the sport.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
None of which is Sterling's fault, if anything we are more to blame for lapping this BS up.

Neither is this:-
In short, he is the most hyped-up, overrated young player of this generation and I genuinely believe that he is going to struggle to live up to expectation.

The bile directed at Raheem on this thread is amazing.
He is doing EXACTLY what everybody else would do.

I don't think everybody else would do this at all. In fact I think he is being incredibly short sighted.

Personally I would continue earning a massive wage at Liverpool and continue to be an important part of a good team instead of being a bit part of am excellent team. If he leaves now he will miss out on valuable playing time which may well hamper his progress and hinder his earning potential later on in life.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Flying+fuck_a39594_4495381.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think everybody else would do this at all. In fact I think he is being incredibly short sighted.

Personally I would continue earning a massive wage at Liverpool and continue to be an important part of a good team instead of being a bit part of am excellent team. If he leaves now he will miss out on valuable playing time which may well hamper his progress and hinder his earning potential later on in life.
You can have that opinion AFTER you've turned down a 50% pay rise with a massive signing on bonus, to do exactly the same job at a slightly higher level.
In the meantime please forgive me for repeatedly 'coughing' bullshit.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You can have that opinion AFTER you've turned down a 50% pay rise with a massive signing on bonus, to do exactly the same job at a slightly higher level.
In the meantime please forgive me for repeatedly 'coughing' bullshit.

No bullshit, I think he is making the wrong career move which in the long term could very well cost him a lot of money and success. See Jack Rodwell and Scott Sinclair

both are now playing catch up in terms of development after going to a big club and not playing . Both highly promising young players who were developing nicely for their respective clubs. IMHO they moved too early and are now playing the price. This is what I think could well happen to Sterling too. So if I was in his shoes I would like to think that I would stay put and keep playing in the hope of realising my potential and working towards the dream move when i am ready.

All the while being stinking rich and playing for one of the most famous clubs in the world.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Says a lot about the current game that I found myself looking at Sterling's wage of £35k per week and thinking he's underpaid (compared to the going rate).

I mean. Chelsea are reportedly paying £20k per week to one 18yr old who hadn't made a first team appearance when he signed the deal. Sturrridge, as mentioned, earns £150k/ week.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
...one of the successes of our WC campaign...blimey...how low are your standards?

Well I was talking about England, so yes I felt he looked decent especially against Italy and it seems Liverpool regard him highly and so do others, contracts, salary and likely transfer fee's seem to reflect this.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If I were Liverpool, I'd make a killing. He is very very ordinary. I'm stunned at his naivety. "I want to win trophies" he says. No shit Sherlock. Well try proving yourself first and then you might demonstrate you're worth signing.

If Man City stump up 50-60m for him then they are mad. If Liverpool try to turn down such a bid, then they are madder. Football is disappearing up its backside.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
No bullshit, I think he is making the wrong career move which in the long term could very well cost him a lot of money and success. See Jack Rodwell and Scott Sinclair

both are now playing catch up in terms of development after going to a big club and not playing . Both highly promising young players who were developing nicely for their respective clubs. IMHO they moved too early and are now playing the price. This is what I think could well happen to Sterling too. So if I was in his shoes I would like to think that I would stay put and keep playing in the hope of realising my potential and working towards the dream move when i am ready.

All the while being stinking rich and playing for one of the most famous clubs in the world.

Sterling is already ahead of your two examples, he seems to be a regarded England International and a bang regular for Liverpool.

Any interested clubs would offer some assurances about opportunities and Sterling would outline his own demands in terms of playing and his long term objectives.

It doesnt guarantee he will be afforded those demands but a big transfer fee would indicate some commitment from any new club to try and deliver them though.

I am not too sure why Liverpool are afforded some unique position in Sterlings ultimate development beyond offering a £100 000 per week in a market where he can perhaps demand £150 000 per week on a player they will ultimately sell for £30+ million quid that they bought for a couple of million.

In this context Liverpool are not the victim here .................

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
If I were Liverpool, I'd make a killing. He is very very ordinary. I'm stunned at his naivety. "I want to win trophies" he says. No shit Sherlock. Well try proving yourself first and then you might demonstrate you're worth signing.

If Man City stump up 50-60m for him then they are mad. If Liverpool try to turn down such a bid, then they are madder. Football is disappearing up its backside.

Well that puts you out of the bidding .....

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Sterling is already ahead of your two examples, he seems to be a regarded England International and a bang regular for Liverpool.

Any interested clubs would offer some assurances about opportunities and Sterling would outline his own demands in terms of playing and his long term objectives.

It doesnt guarantee he will be afforded those demands but a big transfer fee would indicate some commitment from any new club to try and deliver them though.

I am not too sure why Liverpool are afforded some unique position in Sterlings ultimate development beyond offering a £100 000 per week in a market where he can perhaps demand £150 000 per week on a player they will ultimately sell for £30+ million quid that they bought for a couple of million.

In this context Liverpool are not the victim here .................

I don't really disagree with any of your points here they certainly may turn out to be true. Although i think that the outlining of opportunities etc would be diminished should he head to a big club. At Liverpool he could certainly call the shots. At Real Madrid or Barcelona he wouldn't have any where near as much say.

However I stand by my point that in his position i would like to think stay at Liverpool for another few years at least. Too much of a gamble for me I would rather play it safe and earn a few million less for a couple of years.

The reason Liverpool hold a unique position in his development is that he is already an important member of the team at a young age and he is all but guaranteed to start most if not every game. This is simply not the case at the huge clubs that would be looking at him. He would have to break into some amazing teams ahead of some amazing players

Having said that haggling over 100,000 or 150,000 a week is so far fetched to me that i don't really see the difference. Rich beyond your wildest dreams or even richer beyond your wildest dreams either way I would have more money that I knew what to do with.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
RAHEEM STERLING will refuse to sign a new deal at Liverpool — even if they offer him “£900,000 a week”.

That is the astonishing claim from his agent Aidy Ward, who today launched an astonishing attack on the Anfield club in which he also called legendary defender Jamie Carragher a “knob”.

Sterling, 19, has asked to leave Anfield and is set to meet with Kop top brass for showdown talks tomorrow.

But Ward has blown the behind-the-scenes diplomacy out of the water in an interview with the Evening Standard where he:

— Said no money could convince his client to stay on Merseyside — Accused the Reds of leaking stories about Sterling to the Press — Labelled Anfield icon Carragher a “knob” who is a football irrelvance.
Ward, a 34-year-old from Kent, said: “I don’t care about the PR of the club and the club situation. I don’t care.

“He is definitely not signing. He’s not signing for 700, 800, £900,000 a week. He is not signing

“My job is to make sure I do the best with them [his clients].
“If people say I am bad at my job, or they are badly advised it does not matter.”

Sterling came under fire in April for giving an interview for the BBC where he claimed he was motivated by trophies, not money.

The England winger was accused of disrespect for going public and Carragher said Sterling should “keep his mouth shut”.

And Ward has risked causing fury in the Anfield corridors of power with a jaw-dropping attack on the 38-cap defender.

He added: “Carragher is a knob. Everybody knows it.

“Any of the criticism from current pundits or ex-Liverpool players — none of them things matter to me. It is not relevant.”

Manchester City, Chelsea, ars*nal and Manchester United have all been linked to Sterling, who is rated at £50million.

And Ward has claimed that the club are to blame for the negotiations being made public.

He said: “How did this all occur? There is no smoke without fire.”

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/21/raheem-sterling-liverpool-agent-contract-900000

Raheem Sterling agent: winger ‘wouldn’t sign Liverpool deal for £900k a week’
• Aidy Ward says Sterling will ‘definitely not sign’ a new contract at Anfield
• Sterling’s agent quoted as calling Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher ‘a knob’

Raheem Sterling’s agent has launched a stinging attack on Liverpool and announced his client will “definitely not be signing” a new contract with the club, even if the England international was offered £900,000 a week.

Aidy Ward, who represents Sterling, is due to meet the Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers and chief executive Ian Ayre on Friday to discuss the contract situation but appears to have severed all ties with the club.

“I don’t care about the PR of the club and the club situation. I don’t care,” Ward is quoted as telling the Evening Standard. “He is definitely not signing. He’s not signing for £700, £800, £900 thousand a week. He is not signing.

“My job is to make sure I do the best with them [my clients]. If people say I am bad at my job, or they are badly advised it does not matter.”

Ward also launched a personal attack on Jamie Carragher – calling him “a knob” – after the former Liverpool legend was critical of the way that Sterling and his representatives had handled the contract negotiations.

“Carragher is a knob. Everybody knows it. Any of the criticism from current pundits or ex-Liverpool players – none of them things matter to me. It is not relevant.”

Ward’s comments, which he has reportedly claimed were off the record and taken out of context, will be of keen interest to both Manchester United, who registered their interest in Sterling on Wednesday. Manchester City and Chelsea are also thought to be keen on the England winger, who recently rejected a five-year, £100,000-a-week offer from Liverpool.

“I am not worried,” continued Ward. “Worried is making a decision not knowing what is going to happen. Every Premier League club will make a bid for him.”

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I don't recall these Liverpool "legends" saying it was bad for his development when Sterling let his contract run down at QPR so he could join Liverpool. Was that ok then?

Exactly, big clubs are bullies and to be a big club you just need to be bigger than the one you are recruiting from.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Oh well.....
He's on 35k a week, he has been negotiating since October so when you add the next two years of his contract, LFC are saving 65k a week. When he's good he's great. He has no left foot, disappears but with the right club could go on to be a true great for England. Problem is this. Which team who are prepared or able to pay £50m (12m to QPR) will have a manager who is able to play him every week? Personally I would put him on the bench until his contract runs down and let his career dribble down the drain and see if anyone will pay him 150k a week then!
Stirling or Oscar and Benteke would be a no brainer. Jovetic and 25m would be great!
Now I understand that not everyone on here gives a monkey about LFC but no one player should be bigger than any one club.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This is my take, he's very ordinary.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Liverpool had a meeting arranged tomorrow with Stirling and his agent to discuss contract terms. After the agent's comments went public they cancelled as there was no longer any point to it.

Current perception in Liverpool is to let him rot in the reserves for two years until his current contract expires. It won't happen of course - probably sell instead (unless they do another Suarez).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here