Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

raheem sterling to ask to leave liverpool this summer

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Or perhaps he wants to finish his career with trophy's and doesn't feel he'll achieve that with Liverpool. Just a thought

I do think it says at lot about Rodgers as a manager, Gerrard has left, Sterling wants to leave.

Is it that Rodgers isn't a very good manager?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
My brother played against him when he was at QPR, he said he seemed a nice lad at the time.

They met a few years later and his whole persona had changed and he had become a huge big time charlie, I guess Liverpool reep what they sow.If you snap up a player from a smaller club and promise the world, when a bigger club than Liverpool then does the same they shouldnt be shocked, through money at someone from a young age, they will only to continue to chase it when they are older.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Or perhaps he wants to finish his career with trophy's and doesn't feel he'll achieve that with Liverpool. Just a thought

The guy is 20. If he's fit and inform then he will almost certainly get games at Liverpool. And if he is as good as he thinks he is is he will shine very very brightly. I appreciate Liverpool are not top 4 but they are still a big club at the right end of a top league.

In my mind it would make sense to stick at Liverpool for a few more years to demonstrate you're the real deal and then move with a lot more clout and say in where you go. If he's as good as he thinks he is then trophies will never elude him.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
My brother played against him when he was at QPR, he said he seemed a nice lad at the time.

They met a few years later and his whole persona had changed and he had become a huge big time charlie, I guess Liverpool reep what they sow.If you snap up a player from a smaller club and promise the world, when a bigger club than Liverpool then does the same they shouldnt be shocked, through money at someone from a young age, they will only to continue to chase it when they are older.

I sort of recall him demanding to leave Liverpool 4/5 years ago and refusing to sign a contract?

Knocker15

May 18, 2013
Gosport, Hants
The guy is 20. If he's fit and inform then he will almost certainly get games at Liverpool. And if he is as good as he thinks he is is he will shine very very brightly. I appreciate Liverpool are not top 4 but they are still a big club at the right end of a top league.

In my mind it would make sense to stick at Liverpool for a few more years to demonstrate you're the real deal and then move with a lot more clout and say in where you go. If he's as good as he thinks he is then trophies will never elude him.

He could do that or he could go to a top European or Britush club win league titles and European honours right now, I have upmost respect for Steven Gerrard but as all United supporters will quote when asked how good he was/is he's never won the title! Stirling could suffer a career ending injury with in the next couple of years and end up with no medals! Make hay while the sun shines!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He could do that or he could go to a top European or Britush club win league titles and European honours right now, I have upmost respect for Steven Gerrard but as all United supporters will quote when asked how good he was/is he's never won the title! Stirling could suffer a career ending injury with in the next couple of years and end up with no medals! Make hay while the sun shines!

As I said, he's only 20. Surely it would be better to move when you're an established Premiership star as you'll get the trappings, and games, which go with this status. Move now and you're just another player and might disappear amongst all the other young hopefuls the club signs.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
While Sterling has been playing week in, week out this season for Liverpool and England, Daniel Sturridge has been sitting on a treatment table for a year, picking up £150,000 a week. Sterling is going to look at that, coupled with the GARGANTUAN new £5 billion TV deal (a 71% increase) which has totally rewritten the financial landscape in the game, and think "well...why should I commit to £100k a week then ?"

Rodgers has also gone on record and described Sterling as being "the best young player in Europe", so of course he's going to have a hugely inflated opinion of himself. If his own manager is saying that, then he'll be of a mind to say "well give me a contract that reflects that then".

Its ****ed up, but that's football nowadays. The sheer scale of money washing around in the game, particularly since the new TV deal, has changed everything. Its distasteful, vulgar and depressing, but PL footballers will look at all that extra new money and think "yup, I'm having some of that".

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I genuinely wonder how important titles, and medals actually ARE to some players. If, as has been alluded to here, it's all about the money, then it's possible he just has eyes on the bumper pay packet that he will undoubtedly get, and sod the rest of it, regardless of what they say. Yes, go to a club that wins titles and you stand to earn more, but THAT is probably the focus for some, rather than the glory of being title-winners.

Same with national caps. I bet some players aren't fussed about playing – or winning – for England, despite what they say publicly.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
What should a young talented footballer do to prevent being a parasite within footballs rotting carcass?

How about a bit of respect and appreciation for the good life they have? £100K per week over 1 year would equate to a £100K per annum for a normal persons earnings over a lifetime of working, yes they deserve (debateable) to take what they can but it will get to a point where they will kill the game. Liverpool have done well by him supporting him and developing him after a shaky start at QPR and he is on a good contract there, what has he achieved to put him in a position to demand a transfer he has won nothing yet and had a handful of games that might warrant one of the big boys throwing a 200K weekly wage at him but I doubt it I think he has ideas above his station.

I agree it is not all down to the player, it is the agents, Sky, the clubs, and even fans but players wages and attitudes is probably the single most influential factor over fans disillusion around the game which is only growing.

If he wants to go for the money then good luck but do not moan when you are criticised it part of the package.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Fact is that Liverpool are not in the champions league this season and, apart from last year, haven't really been close to winning the premier league for some time. If the negotiating was leaked to the press to try and lever him into a deal then I can understand why he resents that. That said, any move will certainly financially benefit his agents!!!

Who's fault is it Liverpool haven't won anything and are not in the Champions League next season? Partially Sterling's. He hasn't provided enough big performances in the big games. Liverpool had the chance to challenge for top four at the end of this season but have fallen away, and Sterling has been poor in these last couple of months since they have fallen away. This is since his unauthorised BBC interview about his contract situation, coincidentally.

I do think it says at lot about Rodgers as a manager, Gerrard has left, Sterling wants to leave.

Is it that Rodgers isn't a very good manager?

I think Liverpool are better off without Gerrard now and Rodgers knows it. He's still learning but I think Rodgers is one of the best young managers in the game and the best Liverpool manager for years.

Rodgers has been great for Sterling and has aided his development tremendously. Would he even have got his chance so early at another club?

I read that his problem wasn't the money but the fact that negotiations had been leaked to the press and so it was a trust issue. Not sure whether that is just a smoke screen or not but maybe there is more to this one than the obvious.

Sterling's agent has leaked loads to the press and Sterling did an unauthorised interview with the BBC about his contract situation a couple of months ago. I think he's been really badly advised by his agent.

I really don't think it's a money thing as I think Liverpool would match what any other club would offer. He wants to be at a club that is going places and playing in the champions league. Liverpool look like a club on the way down.

Now wether he is good enough is another question.

Liverpool won't match what any other club will offer. They've offered him an increase of 35K per week to 100K per week, but Rodgers has come out and said Liverpool don't think it's right or good for their development to give a player too much too early. 100K at 20 years of age is more than reasonable, though!

This is not a Gareth Bale or Luis Suarez situation where he's the best player on the park each week. Sterling still has a long way to go to get to that level and is being really badly advised by his agent. That said, he's still only 20 and I do think he has the potential to be world class. He's got an amazing brain on the pitch, with an eye for a really good pass, as well as all his other attributes. What he needs to work on most is his finishing because his shots a very tame. But he's at the perfect club to develop and reach his potential. If he goes to City, Chelsea, Real Madrid or any other of these types of clubs he is not guaranteed a first team and could easily fade away like so many other young players do. If he does fade away, he's not going to make more money long-term that way is he?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
On average. What does an international cricket player earn?

I have no idea, but I'm sure it's way above the UK average national wage!

Also doesn't the Indian Premier League (cricket) offer 'million pound plus contracts'?

Edit:

Just did a bit of Googling and came across this, albeit from 2010:

Despite failing to come even close to their football playing counterparts earning power, the members of the England cricket team do much better. The central contract system is understood to give them between £250,000 to £400,000 a year – about four week's wages for a top Premier League footballer.
Australia's top cricketers get a similar amount, while South Africa's players earn around £105,000 a year.
On the other side of the coin, Pakistan's players are contracted for much less, at around £22,500 a year, while Bangladesh's players get £12,000.
Beyond their guaranteed earnings, top class cricketers will pick up extra cash in match fees, win bonuses and sponsorship opportunities.
Those picked to play in the glitzy Indian Premier League can also substantially boost their earnings. England star Kevin Pietersen is reported to be the highest-paid IPL player with a two-year $1.5million (£973,000) deal, according to the Daily Telegraph.

Last edited:

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I genuinely wonder how important titles, and medals actually ARE to some players. If, as has been alluded to here, it's all about the money, then it's possible he just has eyes on the bumper pay packet that he will undoubtedly get, and sod the rest of it, regardless of what they say. Yes, go to a club that wins titles and you stand to earn more, but THAT is probably the focus for some, rather than the glory of being title-winners.

Same with national caps. I bet some players aren't fussed about playing – or winning – for England, despite what they say publicly.

Mourinho summed it up when he threw his Premier League champions medal into the crowd. Also the fact that the Premier League trophy looks like the sort of thing you could buy in Poundland or any fancy dress/party shop doesn't help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here