Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rafa Benitez?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Interviewed on 5 Live this afternoon he said he wouldn't go to Everton.

I think that's what he said. The kids were hitting each other in the back of the car and it was hard to concentrate.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Rafa's touching full page advert in tomorrow's Evening Standard.

BKpg2BWCEAAxrix.jpg

3rd place and the Mickey Mouse cup, for a side who WON THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE last year. Wow.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Er, we have a manager, albeit a suspended one, but hey, lets blow our entire budget on a new manager and have bugger all left for players :clap:

Dec 29, 2011
3rd place and the Mickey Mouse cup, for a side who WON THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE last year. Wow.

A mickey mouse cup which has been won by one other English team in the last 26 years. He was already out of the Champions League when he joined, what more do you expect of him?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Blimey a closet Chelsea fan here I think, certainly has the same attitude and ridiculous expectations from the look of it

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Blimey a closet Chelsea fan here I think, certainly has the same attitude and ridiculous expectations from the look of it

This.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Real Madrid want to talk to Carlo Ancelotti regarding their managerial position.

Another closed door for Rafa at the moment then.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Unlikely to happen. However, if we must stick with latino football, then Rafa would be the perfect manager for us. His experience and professionalism would truely take the team to another level. Just so long as we don't end up with Torres.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Benitez's record in the league after Chelsea had played in the World Club Championship was actually pretty strong. The problem was that they had a really bad spell in Di Matteo's last 2-3 games which then carried over for about the first 6 weeks of his management and that put them out of contention. Some of that would've been down to the crowd hostility, some getting used to Benitez's preferred style/system of play and some down to Chelsea having their annual blip in November. I think John Terry was out injured during that time and so having to play a central defensive pairing of Cahill and Ivanovic wouldn't have helped their cause.

No great fan of Benitez the person, but after a difficult start, he did a very competent job for Chelsea and he is one of the best managers in the game at preparing a team for a big match, which has seen his teams often pull off a result against a team that on paper should be superior.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A mickey mouse cup which has been won by one other English team in the last 26 years. He was already out of the Champions League when he joined, what more do you expect of him?

Because no one else has taken it seriously - Man Utd and Man City always drop out of it as soon as possible.

My point is people are acting as if he has been a massive success, when really all he's done is about par for a club of Chelsea's size.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Not at all, it's just ridiculous how much praise Benitez has gotten for what is - for Chelsea - a par season. If Avram Grant had done the same, everyone would be saying what a failure it was.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not at all, it's just ridiculous how much praise Benitez has gotten for what is - for Chelsea - a par season. If Avram Grant had done the same, everyone would be saying what a failure it was.

Only Chelsea fans I imagine, just like the when he was there.

What more could Rafa have achieved? Title was out of reach by the time he'd pulled it around.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Because no one else has taken it seriously - Man Utd and Man City always drop out of it as soon as possible.

Always? To my recollection, Man United have only participated in the competition twice and the first time they took part, Peter Schmeichel scored. The second time they were outplayed by Athletic Bilbao being brilliant rather than because they wanted to lose. City would've only been involved a couple of times as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here