Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Radio 5 and David Weir

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I listened to that live and i got the impression Weir was being deliberately vague or misleading when it came down to specifics. We are obviously very highty data driven, and it's obvious we have a very particular way of analysing that data. In addition though I think the human factor gets downplayed a lot. We have people out there putting in the hours finding out all sorts about players and building relationships which I don't think gets fully appreciated by all these "how do Brighton do it" bits.
Also as much as i find Chris Sutton entertaining he's rarely insightful.
Indeed. Both points :lolol:

Dec 29, 2011
I've just listened to the whole thing including the discussion afterwards.

They seem to think it's down to getting very good people, who work really hard, together with a bit of common sense. That can't be right, can it ? Surely there must be at least a bit of magic somewhere :shrug:
The reality is, most footballers, managers and owners in football are f***ing stupid. It's a boy's club which for decades has been dominated by 'group thinking'. There are a set of standards that 99% of people have followed to avoid being the odd one out.
This is why managers with awful records are given a job for the tenth time in a row, only to be fired six months later.

It was obvious that anyone who was willing to buck the trend for a decade would be successful. Hell, when the new Liverpool owners declared they would be following a Moneyball approach there was laughter, confusion and disgust from large swathes of football fans.

Bloom is a billionaire because he's a genius. He outplays 99% of people in all aspects of his life. Combine this with a pond that is significantly more stupid and significantly less creative than the real world and you have the answer as to why the foundations he's built at Brighton have us on the verge of Champions league football only 12 years after being in League 1.

I love the man and I don't see how we can fail while he is still number 1 in the club.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Chris Sutton is a total arse, isn't he? Makes me giggle though.

"Brighton can't hang on to De Zerbi". For how long Chris? He's just had a good close up look at Chelsea and Spurs and I can't imagine he was impressed with either club. I'd hope we get at least one more season out of RDZ, he's only really just got started. Of course we won't hang on to him for ever but I don't think he'll be off in the next two weeks either.
He is. He makes the point that we cannot hold onto RDZ but in the same sentence says that we are the most attractive club for young players. Surely, then, we must also be one of the most attractive clubs for young, progressive managers? If so, why would RDZ leave, especially to basket case clubs like Chelsea and Spurs?

Chapman made a good point about a good player going to a bad club (see Bissouma for example) so again, why would the young players all want to up sticks when a so called big club comes calling? The more the club progresses and the young players can see that they can get career progression with us, the more attractive we become in relation to clubs like Spurs and Chelsea and their options of moving on to continue progressing become more limited.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The reality is, most footballers, managers and owners in football are f***ing stupid. It's a boy's club which for decades has been dominated by 'group thinking'. There are a set of standards that 99% of people have followed to avoid being the odd one out.
This is why managers with awful records are given a job for the tenth time in a row, only to be fired six months later.

It was obvious that anyone who was willing to buck the trend for a decade would be successful. Hell, when the new Liverpool owners declared they would be following a Moneyball approach there was laughter, confusion and disgust from large swathes of football fans.

Bloom is a billionaire because he's a genius. He outplays 99% of people in all aspects of his life. Combine this with a pond that is significantly more stupid and significantly less creative than the real world and you have the answer as to why the foundations he's built at Brighton have us on the verge of Champions league football only 12 years after being in League 1.

I love the man and I don't see how we can fail while he is still number 1 in the club.
He’s applied his business approach to every aspect of running a football club……..Boehly has apparently done the same, hence going into the dressing room and shouting at the players and telling them they’re embarrassing. Probably does that in his companies - problem is he can’t fire footballers though, and they’ll just think he’s a **** who doesn’t know what he’s doing 😂😂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here