Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Radio 5 and David Weir

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A thirty minute interview. And after the interview the talking heads are still mithering about 'how do they do it?'.

Hilario! :lolol:

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Just listened to interview and chat afterwards - they were all desperate to uncover our alleged chief scout for South America ....

don't think it's quite as simple as one person gives us a call once a week

David Weir comes across very well - even if he didn't throw Sutton under the bus when prompted ....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've just listened to the whole thing including the discussion afterwards.

They seem to think it's down to getting very good people, who work really hard, together with a bit of common sense. That can't be right, can it ? Surely there must be at least a bit of magic somewhere :shrug:

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Here's the BBC Sounds version, which is the full show - the podcast (incl. Spotify version) is trimmed down:

Head to 9 mins 30 seconds for the start.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
A thirty minute interview. And after the interview the talking heads are still mithering about 'how do they do it?'.

Hilario! :lolol:
I listened to that live and i got the impression Weir was being deliberately vague or misleading when it came down to specifics. We are obviously very highty data driven, and it's obvious we have a very particular way of analysing that data. In addition though I think the human factor gets downplayed a lot. We have people out there putting in the hours finding out all sorts about players and building relationships which I don't think gets fully appreciated by all these "how do Brighton do it" bits.
Also as much as i find Chris Sutton entertaining he's rarely insightful.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Chris Sutton is a total arse, isn't he? Makes me giggle though.

"Brighton can't hang on to De Zerbi". For how long Chris? He's just had a good close up look at Chelsea and Spurs and I can't imagine he was impressed with either club. I'd hope we get at least one more season out of RDZ, he's only really just got started. Of course we won't hang on to him for ever but I don't think he'll be off in the next two weeks either.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
It's a really good listen, more so for the conversation afterwards. I'm not sure who Rory is, but it was interesting to listen to his point about finishing higher in the league thus looking at the 20 yr old Argentinian rather than the 18 yr old. Then I thought, but you've not then grasped what DW had said earlier, about the long term plan. Bloom and Barber would one hundred percent have a plan for this, hence buying players like Buonanotte, Ayari, Adringa now and having lads like Peupion and Moran from the U23s coming through. The Charlton, Southampton and Leicester analogies are a wee bit annoying. I get what they're saying, but Southampton and Leicester have mainly suffered through their owner dying. All in all, definitely worth a listen.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's a really good listen, more so for the conversation afterwards. I'm not sure who Rory is, but it was interesting to listen to his point about finishing higher in the league thus looking at the 20 yr old Argentinian rather than the 18 yr old. Then I thought, but you've not then grasped what DW had said earlier, about the long term plan. Bloom and Barber would one hundred percent have a plan for this, hence buying players like Buonanotte, Ayari, Adringa now and having lads like Peupion and Moran from the U23s coming through. The Charlton, Southampton and Leicester analogies are a wee bit annoying. I get what they're saying, but Southampton and Leicester have mainly suffered through their owner dying. All in all, definitely worth a listen.
Rory Smith, chief "soccer" correspondent of the New York Times. He's a regular on MNC and always a good listen, I think.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I listened to that live and i got the impression Weir was being deliberately vague or misleading when it came down to specifics. We are obviously very highty data driven, and it's obvious we have a very particular way of analysing that data. In addition though I think the human factor gets downplayed a lot. We have people out there putting in the hours finding out all sorts about players and building relationships which I don't think gets fully appreciated by all these "how do Brighton do it" bits.
Also as much as i find Chris Sutton entertaining he's rarely insightful.
I'd agree with that, but I'd also say that the reality is that it's probably a bit too complicated (and varied) a process to explain to Chris Sutton on the radio.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here