Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Racism And The Cumberbatch Conundrum

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
If something offends someone why say it?

If I call you a C*** would it offend you? What if I called you a silly old C*** and said it with a smile ?

Its what you say, how you say it and in what context that counts but why use the word because you would have to be either very old, pretty dumb or racist to use it these days.

It might be the pc white liberals getting their knickers in a twist over nothing most of the time but then you get ignorant I'm offended because you are offended closet racists that jump in too.

Oh and don't give it the Dave Whelan "some of my best friends are Chinky's" either only I've had mates who couldn't be racist because they "had a mate who was coloured" and they were racist when they felt brave enough. Funny how they take offence when they get called C***s even with a friendly smiley face

clungemeister

Jan 11, 2015
So, talking about speech codes and language, what would you do with people with cerebral palsy offended at being called a 'spastic'?

It's weird isn't it when you take race out of the equation? Makes you appear in a somewhat bad light. It would appear you don't like the speech code because you want to be able to offend foreigners. I expect that's a large reason many don't like it, and all the more reason for it, in my opinion.

Not so long ago, there was widespread racism against the irish, we seem to have gotten over that now. I expect it will be the same with the latest wave of immigrants, if we can only stop those filled with fear and hate ruining it for the rest of society.

i'm not sure what calling a disabled person a spastic has to do with racism.....i myself do not use the word spastic , however as the son of two irish immigrants i am more aware of how institutionalised racism can work......i have no idea what a speech code is nor do i see how or why a speech code should be necessary ......i'm not sure where you live or how well travelled you are , you are obviously adequately read but that is a poor substitute for life experience.......makes me cringe , some of this pc shyte.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Whats wrong with nitty gritty?

Finding much of this all a bit disappointing really. Classic i will tell you what you can think and say

You can use it - no ones stopping you, you can use "touch of a rapist" too - you won't get sent to prison or prosecuted even if you are a silly old C***:lol::lol::lol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Whats wrong with nitty gritty?

Finding much of this all a bit disappointing really. Classic i will tell you what you can think and say

Well even though members of the Met have been diciplined for using it, seemly the far knowledgable sages on nSC seem to think it is not, so I would go with the NSC rather than the Met!

Anyway nitty gritty was a term used to describe the state of the slaves in the bowels of the slave ships.

BTW Whilst in M&S last week, they had a offer on KAFFIR Chicken fillets! When I lived in South Africa the White honkeys used this as the ultimate insult to black and coloured people. We british were called ROI NEKS, which referred to the way our necks would change colour as soon as the sun hit us. I remember not wearing shoes for the majority of the summer and my skin was so tanned, my back would turn a very dark shade almost black. My dads best mate was an Afrikaner called Blackie Schwarts. Different day and age

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Thanks. Pleased i have clearance :). Never heard of "touch of a rapist". I lead a simple life i guess

You didn't need clearance, you can say what you want - don't enchain yourself - its a bit like catchphrase "if you see it say it!"

Joking aside - if you know that phrase is offensive to someone why would you use it? Its a bit like asking "what times the next bus due" to some people that would be extremely offensive even though its not.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
i'm not sure what calling a disabled person a spastic has to do with racism.....i myself do not use the word spastic , however as the son of two irish immigrants i am more aware of how institutionalised racism can work......i have no idea what a speech code is nor do i see how or why a speech code should be necessary ......i'm not sure where you live or how well travelled you are , you are obviously adequately read but that is a poor substitute for life experience.......makes me cringe , some of this pc shyte.

It's weird how a lot of people play the man rather than the ball on this forum, anyhow you have made some incorrect assumptions about me, but what or who i am is irrelevant to this particular discussion.
My point is that this PC shyte, whilst i admit it is a bit shyte and far from ideal, is there for a reason. To protect the vulnerable and historically abused. It's a shame that it's needed. If we use the example of 'spastics' having to be renamed to cerebral palsy, it takes the confusion and heat about race, or where someone is from out of the equation, or if we use the example of irish, you must know how they (the irish) were treated.

Do you consider yourself British? If so, what is the difference from the point of this debate about a 1st generation muslim and you? Both born in this country, to immigrants.

Perhaps we could learn from the mistakes of how we as a society treated the irish/disabled or whatever in the past. Might cause less bombs and stuff.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Language changes. Doubt anyone who uses it today is thinking of slaves. And another example of fake offence. But hey ho, not the end of the world

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
:)
I am being serious when I say I worry what is coming next, bit by bit they are stripping away the rights from beneath our feet.
in fact my beef isn't against the ethnics of this country at all it is against those who impose these silly laws upon us. you know the type... white studenty types with nout better to do than to stir up shit, ones who'd prefer to see a Pakistani flag hanging from above the houses of parliament than that of our own,. ones who will knock the indigenous british at any given opportunity for being lazy and idle, ones who are ashamed of this country's past and are forever apologising for it, ones I could only relate to as traitors..
these are the real enemy not the ethnics,

:tosser:

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
It would appear you don't like the speech code because you want to be able to offend foreigners. I expect that's a large reason many don't like it, and all the more reason for it, in my opinion.
if we can only stop those filled with fear and hate ruining it for the rest of society.
nobody wishes to offend foreigners purposely , its only easily offended people like you who assume they do.
finally in what way are people who are filled with hatred and fear ruining your lifestyle.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
It's weird how a lot of people play the man rather than the ball on this forum, anyhow you have made some incorrect assumptions about me, but what or who i am is irrelevant to this particular discussion.
My point is that this PC shyte, whilst i admit it is a bit shyte and far from ideal, is there for a reason. To protect the vulnerable and historically abused. It's a shame that it's needed. If we use the example of 'spastics' having to be renamed to cerebral palsy, it takes the confusion and heat about race, or where someone is from out of the equation, or if we use the example of irish, you must know how they (the irish) were treated.

Do you consider yourself British? If so, what is the difference from the point of this debate about a 1st generation muslim and you? Both born in this country, to immigrants.

Perhaps we could learn from the mistakes of how we as a society treated the irish/disabled or whatever in the past. Might cause less bombs and stuff.

how did we "the british people" treat the irish (or muslims come to that) that was so bad it needs addressing ?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
We starved some to death - always going to cause a problem even down the line but hey ho

This was 1846 to 1852. I think we have moved on since then. I wonder how far back we will keep going to point out our bad past whilst taking our eye off the ball with what is happening now.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Reading the stuff on this thread has actually made me worried I may say something "racist" and genuinely not realize it.

I like to think I'm reasonably culturally aware, but these days I'm never too sure if any comment I use concerning someone's race will be deemed to be offensive or not.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Reading the stuff on this thread has actually made me worried I may say something "racist" and genuinely not realize it.

I like to think I'm reasonably culturally aware, but these days I'm never too sure if any comment I use concerning someone's race will be deemed to be offensive or not.

I think you'll find rule of thumb is that if you are offended at any criticism against a race, then you will be ok. If you have an opinion that differs, then you are at best ignorant, or worst a racist, xenophobe etc .

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
This was 1846 to 1852. I think we have moved on since then. I wonder how far back we will keep going to point out our bad past whilst taking our eye off the ball with what is happening now.

Well it took a long time to move on, independence, Northern Ireland, the troubles, the bombings, the shootings, hunger strikes, the peace talks, marches, recognition of sinn fein etc etc so from what you say in about 150 years no one will use the term coloured I guess

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here