Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Racism And The Cumberbatch Conundrum

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
In your experience. There are many examples of PC nonsense that regularly happen.

Almost any example you can conjure up is probably an embellished story from the press with little, if any, basis in truth. Any incident worthy of genuine anger or concern (I.e the pen incident if it were remotely true) would be dealt with internally and with safeguarding in place to ensure it was not released to the public.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I do have some sympathy for Mr Cumberbatch, especially as I was "guilty" of using exactly the same term a few years ago. I was in a dance class, used the word coloured in all innocence, and was genuinely shocked by the response of a black woman who made it clear that she did not find the term acceptable. For the record, I was born in 1968 and had no idea that the term was found offensive by some.

As the article seems to suggest, I guess my real crime is not having a number of close black friends (who would have put me right long before I WAS put right). Oh well; we live and learn.

Originally I had some sympathy for you too, but I was in that dance class when you said to my mate Steve, come on 'ginger' keep up, I said in no uncertain terms what has his hair colour got to do with it, you said, 'shut up big nose', your on your own on this one ..........

It's absolutely pathetic isn't it. I'm like you, sick of people jumping up and down get offended. He said the word coloured, people should really get over it.

You want to hear pathetic, at my wifes last school she was handing out pens to kids who forgot to bring them in. My wife was handing out Black and Blue pens, it just so happened that one child who happened to be from an ethnic minority, got given a black pen accidently. My wife was accused of being racist.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story, eh ? or indeed an opinion.

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
Call it as it is.
I have never met a black person who was offended by being called black.
Nobody is "coloured" though are they?
A very 60's word.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Call it as it is.
A very 60's word.

Surely it`s not quite as straight forward as Black is Black and White is White.......How dark do you need to be to be considered Black...Perhaps coloured refers to mixed race ?

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Last week a reporter asked one of the female tennis players at the Australian Open to do a twirl. The girl obliged. There was a lot of people who were saying that this was deeply offensive. The girl in question said that she was not offended in the slightest.

This just goes to show that so many people are prepared to be offended on other peoples behalf.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
can you offend people if you warn them in advance?

i watched a programme recently and there was a warning at the beginning saying along the lines some people may find this film/material offensive

you cant really phone up points of view and say i was offended when they have already told you that you might be if you watch it :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
can you offend people if you warn them in advance?

you can always offend the professional offendees. iirc the big bruha over Sachsgate was after a repeat airing. someone had written about it in a newpaper and upon the repeat hundreds of compalints were made, versus none for the original. though i maybe confusing with another incident, apparently its not uncommon pattern.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Call it as it is.
A very 60's word.

I'm being a pedant, but surely everybody is coloured!

Black people aren't actually black any more than my skin is white. We're all diffenent shades of brown, yellow and pink.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The term 'coloured' has more stigma in the USA which is where he said it, hence the reaction to a slip of the tongue,

Good to see the usual suspects putting in their tuppence worth though. "It's health and safety gone mad"

It may do in some places, but general racist comments are far more commonplace in the US. You hear things here on the street that would immediately lead to an arrest in the UK.

Some of the stuff New York taxi drivers come out with is genuinely shocking.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Did you actually read the whole article? Was quite interesting.

Ironically you seem to be getting a bit agitated by it yourself.

For the record I was born in 1972. Been aware that the term coloured wasn't 'on' for decades. I'm pretty surprised someone of Cumberbatch's generation would use it. That writer though doesn't condemn anyone for using it who wasn't aware of how the word has changed over the years and even makes the point it was never used in an insulting way.

Really don't see the problem with not using a term that a group of people find insulting in some way. It's not as if they've demanded anything ridiculous like you get in business speak.

Decades?????? Really???????

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry but I just don't agree with you , your assertions about us being a 'proper country' may have held water before the days of mass immigration and confused national identity, I don't think it does now ,I also think your point about blacks and Asians needs to be clearer , like it or not , the Sikhs and Hindus have integrated pretty well although you will still see 4th generation Indians supporting India at cricket , I'm sorry but that indicates to me that at best they have divided loyalties , I'd bet my bottom dollar that if this country was seriously in the shit, 1939 style , there would be a mass discovery that they were Indian after all and that's where they'd head for, as for Muslims , I'm sure you've met people in your professional capacity who say what you claim, I'll post a video of my hometown which I think gives the lie to it, all in all I think the West Indians are the ones who feel most British , although my ex wife's friend (black, Jamaican descent)who got upset when my five year old asked where she came from , and when told England, said she didn't look like it , proceeded to tell us she supported Jamaica in the World Cup, and then Nigeria after them, I just think your views are naive, it's not meant as a personal dig , so don't take it as one.

As said numerous times"God how Haywards Heath has changed" . I also think it is unfair that I should consider you a thick analyst and not be considered non pc for that thought.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
As said numerous times"God how Haywards Heath has changed" . I also think it is unfair that I should consider you a thick analyst and not be considered non pc for that thought.
Say what you want , but it doesn't say a lot about your powers of perception or ability to follow a story if you think Haywards heath has any bearing on how my views have been shaped you moron.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Say what you want , but it doesn't say a lot about your powers of perception or ability to follow a story if you think Haywards heath has any bearing on how my views have been shaped you moron.

Thanks for allowing me to have my say. Is that video shot outside the new Waitrose by your station?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Sometimes it is progress that views change.

Shifts in societal attitudes are often deemed as progress as viewed from one generations viewpoint, whereas in reality they are often faddish and yield no real benefit.

There are countless examples of societies in history being more liberal or open minded than ours, only for us seemingly to regress.

This assumption that it's a linear trajectory towards a fairer and more compassionate society is incredibly naive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here