Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Racism And The Cumberbatch Conundrum

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Another example of how views have changed: When Jamaican-born John Barnes was playing for England anybody who said he wasn't English and he should be playing for Jamaica was a knuckle-dragging racist. Now someone who says Jamaican-born Raheem Sterling isn't English and he should be playing for Jamaica is someone who is concerned that we are we're denuding poorer countries of their talent. Downside of immigration y'know.
I saw a Barnes interview in the paper where he stated 'I'm Jamaican, my son is English ' so as far as I'm concerned he should have been playing for Jamaica, the same goes for tony Dorigo who stated at the time 'I'm an Aussie when we're playing England at cricket'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's a veritable minefield.

I agree. I've just seen an interview with Tiger Woods where he described himself as brown. He lost a tooth at the ski resort where his girlfriend was competing. He said, I tried to keep a low profile, but you don't see many brown people at ski resorts.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I heard someone say that newspapers, social media and social commentators seem to be more interested in a sound bite rather than the substance of a message.

Seems about right these days.

You are correct - Particularly in this instance, the thrust of his comments have been completely lost, which is a shame.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I saw a Barnes interview in the paper where he stated 'I'm Jamaican, my son is English ' so as far as I'm concerned he should have been playing for Jamaica, the same goes for tony Dorigo who stated at the time 'I'm an Aussie when we're playing England at cricket'.

I support Ireland when they play England at football, but the reverse when they play at rugby or cricket.

Irene J

Jan 25, 2015
I only knew that somehow coloured had become 'offensive' recently, when Alan Hansen used the term and was unfairly pilloried for it.

i do agree with you
o.png

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am still amazed that you can't use the term "nitty gritty"

CoachVealie

Sep 19, 2011
I am still amazed that you can't use the term "nitty gritty"

"There is no evidence to support the suggestion that 'nitty-gritty' has any connection with slave ships. It may have originated in the USA as an African-American expression, but that's as near as it gets to slavery. It isn't even recorded in print until the 1930s, long after slave ships had disappeared, and none of the early references make any link to slavery."

D

Deleted member 22389

This story really does illustrate how important issues nowadays are relegated to the point where people will stop giving a toss.

How did it come to this that people seem to be offended left right and centre about absolutely everything.

And when did "coloured" become offensive? I used it a couple of weeks ago on here because i thought using the word Black instead would be deemed offensive.

Seems i am back to front.Im not sure i can keep up with the constant changes as to what is or what is not racist or offensive anymore.

can we now expect bans for people using the word coloured on here?

Its all turning a bit farcical if you ask me.

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...loured-gaffe-white-film-industry-black-actors

It's absolutely pathetic isn't it. I'm like you, sick of people jumping up and down get offended. He said the word coloured, people should really get over it.

You want to hear pathetic, at my wifes last school she was handing out pens to kids who forgot to bring them in. My wife was handing out Black and Blue pens, it just so happened that one child who happened to be from an ethnic minority, got given a black pen accidently. My wife was accused of being racist.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Having lived in the US and UK over the years I have tried to negotiate the changes in appropriate terminology. Having had many friends and colleagues from different ethnic groups my over-riding impression is that they are much less concerned about terms used, apart from the really obviously negative ones, and much more concerned about context, intent and how you actually behave. My black (or should I use that dreadful term BAME) colleagues know who the racists are without a careful dissection of every word they use.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I agree. I've just seen an interview with Tiger Woods where he described himself as brown. He lost a tooth at the ski resort where his girlfriend was competing. He said, I tried to keep a low profile, but you don't see many brown people at ski resorts.

He said brown Dudes, and it was a Dude with a camera that did for his teeth. I suspect some dude will be offended somewhere.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
It's absolutely pathetic isn't it. I'm like you, sick of people jumping up and down get offended. He said the word coloured, people should really get over it.

You want to hear pathetic, at my wifes last school she was handing out pens to kids who forgot to bring them in. My wife was handing out Black and Blue pens, it just so happened that one child who happened to be from an ethnic minority, got given a black pen accidently. My wife was accused of being racist.

Sorry. I doubt that little tale at the end.

Its funny to see people jumping up and down being 'offended' by this, and admonishing others for being 'offended' about other issues.

D

Deleted member 22389

This. Complete and utter bollocks. You'd have to be a simpleton to believe that.

Honestly it's true, unless you work in teaching you will never understand how kids will try to get teachers in to trouble.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Which is totally wrong in my opinion, you want to be Irish, then live there , it says a lot about the lack of social cohesion that this is acceptable , Norman definitely wouldn't approve.

So if you're half Irish and half English, it's not acceptable to support one team in one sport and one team in another?

I'll just go and tell me step dad that he's forbidden from supporting Wales in the rugby and England in football. Or my French based relatives with their English/French parents who support France and England in everything.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
what, like you were 'offended' by pastafarians username,er, on behalf of Rastafarians ? You really are a clown :lolol:

Firstly Hove wanderer. I wasnt offended. I questioned him about it.
He claims it is to show that he is against religion, whereas, anybody can see the plain reference to one faith.

At the beginning of this thread, I could have put a list of the people who would be upset by the change of terms in the English language, regarding race. It would have been accurate haha.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here