Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] R.I.P Terry Hall

Jul 7, 2003
RIP - always loved this lesser known cover he did for a charity record

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
R.I.P. Terry Hall. I can remember watching Top of The Pops and seeing him and The Specials - white men playing alongside black men during what was quite a racist era - and thinking how different the music, the clothes and the energy all were.

I went out and bought "Too Much, Too Young" then "Rat Race". Edgy stuff for an 11 year-old. That Two Tone era spliced the gap between the death of punk and the explosion of the New Romantics.

Jul 7, 2003
Over 60 posts and no mention of his work with Lenny The Lion:dunce:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Possibly one of my favourite songs EVER. Beautiful & poignant, but the Specials seemed to be able to do poignancy, so effortlessly. This morning it brings tears to my eyes, it feels like a part of my identity has passed.
it feels like a part of my identity has passed .... those are the words I could not find, thank you

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It caused a bit of a kerfuffel in the Tackle household a month ago when I was playing a live version of Concrete Jungle I found on youtube. At just after 2 minutes 30, Mrs T was moved to recite the oft-read riot act about my not playing tracks where I haven't checked for language when the nipper is at large. I have just posted the link on the track of the day thread. A point well made by Mr Hall, I feel.

Radio 5 has pretty much devoted the whole day to the man. I listened to Nihal's interview with him at the time (a couple of years ago) that he replayed today but, blimey, I hadn't realized, that man was loved by everyone who met him. Some amazing stories. Such a good looking boy, too. I'm sure I tried to ape the deadpan face, nice hair and touch of black eye liner lower lids only) on my nights out in 79/80 before I tumbled completely into the protogoth shoegaze rockabilly (yes, I know) phaze. No wonder I kept getting chased and threated (and occasionally thumped - from behind, of course) by teds and NF-skins.

RIP, you lovely man.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Such a sad day I am devastated I will never be in that Mosh pit in front of his brooding persona again. We are so luckly he has left us with a great canon of work that is a fresh today as when it was recorded. I do hope they got some of the new album down to give it a fitting posthumous release. I reckon he could be my 3rd or 4th most seen performer. Just so shocked he is gone. What an icon of my life.

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Absolutely Shocked…..

Terry Hall of The Specials dies aged 63
so glad we took my daughter to see The Specials last time they played Brighton.
Such an important artist, with a troubled background and understandably a troubled mind.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64029430

my favourites

Really sad. Saw the Specials in 78/79 at the Worthing Assembly Hall. I was fairly near the front and could swear that he was looking directly at me when he was singing ’where did you get that blank expression on your face’
RIP

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Possibly one of my favourite songs EVER. Beautiful & poignant, but the Specials seemed to be able to do poignancy, so effortlessly. This morning it brings tears to my eyes, it feels like a part of my identity has passed.
Agreed sir.

Do Nothing, Specials.
Stoned Love, Supremes.
Travellers Tune, Ocean Colour Scene.

My top 3 songs.

Too young to see them the first time around (you can’t help your age), but managed to see them 6/7 times in the last 10/12years.

So, so good.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
View attachment 154892
If you actually have been keeping ticket stubs since back then, then we’ll done you! I only started about 20 years ago and although I have a few good ones they pale into insignificance versus a few of my now deceased mates tickets from back in the eighties.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Was totally floored to wake up to the awful news of Terry Hall’s passing today. He was such an icon, and such and incredible front man. The Specials were truly amazing and I feel so fortunate to have seen them a few years ago at the Brighton Centre. I love what they stood for and the fact they would speak so powerfully through their music while making your feet dance at the same time. RIP.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
This is from Horace Panter. So sad.

“The Specials. Terry. This is what happened.

We had it all planned out. Make the album we were going to do in 2020 – a reggae album.
Record in Los Angeles in November. We had the studio booked, flights paid for, accommodation sorted. Roger Rivas from The Agrolites was going to co-produce. Shepard Fairey was going to do the cover. Lynval, still recovering from his spinal surgery earlier in the year, was over in the UK and raring to go. Terry had the framework for 8 tunes. Confidence was high. We were set to meet up with Nikolaj and make magic. This was in September. Terry e-mails everyone and says he’s in bed with a stomach bug and can’t do the first week of pre-production sessions. No big deal, we can knock everything back a week. We’re not due to fly out until November 4th. The next week, Terry is no better and is in hospital. There’s not much we can do except wait for him to get better. Sunday October 2nd and I get a phone call from Manager Steve.
And everything turns to shit.
Terry’s illness is a lot worse than we thought.
He has been diagnosed with cancer of the pancreas which has spread to his liver.
This is serious. Like life-threatening serious.
He has developed diabetes due to his pancreas being attacked. This has to be treated first, then it’s a regime of chemotherapy.
There is nothing anyone can do. Everything is put on hold.
Terry is emphatic that no-one be told about this. If anyone asks, he’s managing his diabetes.
The chemo treatment starts favourably but it seems that it would be March 2023 at the earliest before we’d be in any position to work. He is in and out of hospital to stabilise the diabetes issue and also to manage pain.
It then goes quiet.
Beginning of December and reports are not good. Terry has lost a lot of weight and is very frail. His friend Ian Broudie visits and phones Manager Steve. He fears that Terry is slipping away.
15th December and Manager Steve drives up to London to visit. He calls me on his return journey and says things are not looking promising. Terry is dying. The next day he is put on morphine and is more-or-less unconscious for most of the time. I thought it would be best for me to go and visit but Lindy, his wife, advises against it. She has held her phone to Terry’s ear so that his sisters and Lynval can say their goodbyes. She suggests I do the same. So, I did. It was tough.
Terry died around half past 5 the next evening, Sunday 18th December.
The world has lost a unique voice and I have lost a good friend.
Horace.”

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
This is from Horace Panter. So sad.

“The Specials. Terry. This is what happened.

We had it all planned out. Make the album we were going to do in 2020 – a reggae album.
Record in Los Angeles in November. We had the studio booked, flights paid for, accommodation sorted. Roger Rivas from The Agrolites was going to co-produce. Shepard Fairey was going to do the cover. Lynval, still recovering from his spinal surgery earlier in the year, was over in the UK and raring to go. Terry had the framework for 8 tunes. Confidence was high. We were set to meet up with Nikolaj and make magic. This was in September. Terry e-mails everyone and says he’s in bed with a stomach bug and can’t do the first week of pre-production sessions. No big deal, we can knock everything back a week. We’re not due to fly out until November 4th. The next week, Terry is no better and is in hospital. There’s not much we can do except wait for him to get better. Sunday October 2nd and I get a phone call from Manager Steve.
And everything turns to shit.
Terry’s illness is a lot worse than we thought.
He has been diagnosed with cancer of the pancreas which has spread to his liver.
This is serious. Like life-threatening serious.
He has developed diabetes due to his pancreas being attacked. This has to be treated first, then it’s a regime of chemotherapy.
There is nothing anyone can do. Everything is put on hold.
Terry is emphatic that no-one be told about this. If anyone asks, he’s managing his diabetes.
The chemo treatment starts favourably but it seems that it would be March 2023 at the earliest before we’d be in any position to work. He is in and out of hospital to stabilise the diabetes issue and also to manage pain.
It then goes quiet.
Beginning of December and reports are not good. Terry has lost a lot of weight and is very frail. His friend Ian Broudie visits and phones Manager Steve. He fears that Terry is slipping away.
15th December and Manager Steve drives up to London to visit. He calls me on his return journey and says things are not looking promising. Terry is dying. The next day he is put on morphine and is more-or-less unconscious for most of the time. I thought it would be best for me to go and visit but Lindy, his wife, advises against it. She has held her phone to Terry’s ear so that his sisters and Lynval can say their goodbyes. She suggests I do the same. So, I did. It was tough.
Terry died around half past 5 the next evening, Sunday 18th December.
The world has lost a unique voice and I have lost a good friend.
Horace.”
that is just so sad....i actually cried when Bowie died , this is up there with that :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here