Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] R.I.P Terry Hall

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He’s a bit after my time but he was special - no pun intended.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
The Specials contribution to music has been overlooked imo, same as Gary Numan etc. The Specials were one of the bands that brought bass into the mainstream. If you were to do a timeline of music culture and influence on the 'dance' (insert rave, dnb, jungle techo & any other stye with a deep bassline) scene, to miss them out of the timeline would be a travesty.

RIP :(

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Shocking, RIP

Saw the Specials at the Top Rank Suite it was a great gig marred by quite a lot of fighting.
I was there. And at the Poly gig.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
For anybody who was still pre-teenage when the 80s began, The Specials were the band. Great music, sound politics, cool clothes and just so much life in everything they did. Back then they represented everything that the future should have been. The grief obviously belongs to his family and friends, but I think that this may be a loss that is felt harder in the national consciousness than his recent profile may make many people suspect. My brother has messaged that it feels like another Rik. I feel the same. Just.... No!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Gutted by this. I was 5 in 79 but the Specials are a huge part of my life. Been listening to them all day.

Saw The Specials 6 or 7 years ago in Melbourne and they were brilliant. Didn't go a couple of times since and wish I had now.

RIP Terry

SAC

May 21, 2014
Not long ago there was a post asking something like who would make you upset if they died. Well, his name didn't pop into my mind at the time but I certainly went to bed upset with the news last night.

I was lucky to see him live on a number of occasions, most recently last year at a paired back gig of protest songs. Always brilliant.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The Specials contribution to music has been overlooked imo, same as Gary Numan etc. The Specials were one of the bands that brought bass into the mainstream. If you were to do a timeline of music culture and influence on the 'dance' (insert rave, dnb, jungle techo & any other stye with a deep bassline) scene, to miss them out of the timeline would be a travesty.

RIP :(

Definitely influential in leading me onto a lifelong love of Reggae. Two tone, and especially The Specials and The Beat, were almost certainly my gateway drug.

RIP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here