Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

R I P Muhammad Ali.

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
One of the most famous, loved and admired figures from the Twentieth Century.

It was upsetting seeing his condition as he raised the Olympic Torch in Atlanta '96, but he was resolute in the face of Parkinson's disease, and must have given hope to millions.

As George Foreman said, "he's the greatest human being I ever met".

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I've just watched the BBC1 tribute to a 20th century icon.
Excellent program, didn't gloss over his more dislikable traits, but, a really balanced view of the man.

Another part of my childhood gone.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
My favourite tribute, if that's the right way to say it, came from Mike Tyson. He said,"God called for his champion." Brought moisture to my eyes. RIP

Ramalanadingdong

May 6, 2014
Clay was robbed of his greatest years in boxing by the then American estabslishment...

Oh the irony the same American establishment are now foaming at the mouth in praise..

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I can't be the only old git on NSC who remembers the period in sixties, when "draft dodger" was a badge of honour. It was quite obvious that it was the US who were the perpetrators of evil in Vietnam and that the war needed to be resisted. Has history and Hollywood really changed that view?

Sorry Lord B I can't agree with you on that having lived through those times. The point was South Vietnam and North Vietnam were different countries, Ho Chi Minh and his regime were no angels and mercilessly terrorised innocent South Vietnam civilians much as ISIS does today "pour decourager les autres". Unfortunately the US as usual tried to fight them with fists rather than hearts and minds as we did in Malaya in the 1950's so successfully.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry Lord B I can't agree with you on that having lived through those times. The point was South Vietnam and North Vietnam were different countries, Ho Chi Minh and his regime were no angels and mercilessly terrorised innocent South Vietnam civilians much as ISIS does today "pour decourager les autres". Unfortunately the US as usual tried to fight them with fists rather than hearts and minds as we did in Malaya in the 1950's so successfully.

Ali's words: My conscience won't let me go shoot my brother, or some darker people, or some poor hungry people in the mud for big powerful America. And shoot them for what? They never called me ******, they never lynched me, they didn't put no dogs on me, they didn't rob me of my nationality, rape and kill my mother and father. ... Shoot them for what? How can I shoot them poor people? Just take me to jail.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
He also said the white man is a blue eyed blond headed devil.

I'm sure he changed his view in later life though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[yt]jkhpZoPOfZI[/yt]

To understand the genius of Muhammad Ali in his absolute prime, I think this video captures it in perfection. He cannot be hit. He doesn't GUARD against being hit - he simply...moves. Like nobody else. He's like a ghost. Its not his strength or power - its his incredible reflexes. Punches come his way, and he doesn't guard against them, his arms are down. He just see's them, and moves. Its like he see's everything in slow motion, its immortal. He's like a ghost in the ring. He was superhuman.

And THEN comes the power.

I've never seen such elegant violence.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And just watching that makes me ache for the sport that boxing used to be. Huge, monumental, worldwide events that would define an era. Fights that would be anticipated for months, years, and then send shockwaves around the world.

These days we have the global PPV hype machine, but nothing of any real substance behind it. For me, all the warriors died out in the 90's. What we're now left with is mediocre blunt dickheads like "Fury", who is not fit to wipe the gob from the canvas of any of the Champions who preceded this dismal era.

But thankfully, in this day and age, we can still look back and see true greatness and mastery. Even if we know the score, its still worth it.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
And just watching that makes me ache for the sport that boxing used to be. Huge, monumental, worldwide events that would define an era. Fights that would be anticipated for months, years, and then send shockwaves around the world.

These days we have the global PPV hype machine, but nothing of any real substance behind it. For me, all the warriors died out in the 90's. What we're now left with is mediocre blunt dickheads like "Fury", who is not fit to wipe the gob from the canvas of any of the Champions who preceded this dismal era.

But thankfully, in this day and age, we can still look back and see true greatness and mastery. Even if we know the score, its still worth it.

Tyson was the last of the great fighters IMO. Certainly in the heavyweight division anyway.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Tyson was the last of the great fighters IMO. Certainly in the heavyweight division anyway.

Tyson was vastly overrated, even in his prime Holyfield & Lewis would have beaten him, I would have also strongly fancied Riddick Bowe.

True champions battle back from adversity, everytime Tyson was challenged he either took the easy way out or lost.

Tyson was the ultimate bully, a great bully and destructive puncher with phenomenal speed but a good jab and lateral movement would have blunted Tyson early and then there was never a plan B.

The clip a couple above is Ali vs Cleveland Williams that fight is close to perfection and Ali at his best. There was a similar performance against Zara Foley and then almost 4 years inactivity.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
The way he treated Frazier showed his true character. After all this is the guy who blamed white people for homosexuality.

I dont know why people expect boxers to have impeccable characters. They smack each other in the head for a living and the pre-fight verbals 1) build the fight and 2) get in to the head of the opponent. They shouldn't be taken too seriously.

In terms of his own personal views towards white people, growing up in the Deep South, its difficult to see how could Ali could not have been shaped by the racial prejudice, oppression and violence towards african americans and the legally enforced racial segregation in the US in the 1950s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here