Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

R I P Muhammad Ali.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
His family have elected to have a private funeral in Kentucky but he it would have been fitting for the US govt to have given him a state funeral, what a wonderful way to emphasise in these horrendous times that the Christian and Muslim cultures can live together in peace.

Very true, a better ambassador for the USA and the world than any US President. He genuinely touched millions worldwide both with his bravery,skill and craft in the ring and his bravery, intelligence, charisma and honesty out of it.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Very true, a better ambassador for the USA and the world than any US President. He genuinely touched millions worldwide both with his bravery,skill and craft in the ring and his bravery, intelligence, charisma and honesty out of it.

Did he not help sort out the Iraq human shield hostages situation in 1990?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He said he was the greatest and proved it both in and out of the ring. When in Kentucky a couple of years ago nipped into the Ali Centre for what was expected to be an hour but finished up spending all day in there reading and listening about his life, so interesting. He can be classed as a true legend?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He can be classed as a true legend?
I'm not sure what the question mark is for, he's definitely a legend. Although I think he's overrated.

RIP Ali

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Great boxer and a great person who did an awful lot for many people - but never saw him as a legend to be honest.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
The greatest boxer?Many professionals disagree.

The tragedy of Ali was how he ended up at such a early age.He could have gone on to do far greater than anything he did in the boxing ring.He had the personality,charisma,following,intelligence to do so much.Someone who was known and loved worldwide.The first black President,a civil rights campaigner,he could have achieved so much and change so much but he was robbed of his opportunity to do so.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Muhammad Ali - I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
What a legend and very sad however there is a part of me that is happy for him now, he has not looked well for a long time, has had Parkinsons since the first time I heard of him which is a horrible illness which I have witnessed first hand.

“Cassius Clay is a slave name. I didn’t choose it and I don’t want it. I amMuhammad Ali, a free name – it means beloved of God, and I insist people use it when people speak to me and of me.”

So much more than a boxer

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
The greatest boxer?Many professionals disagree.

The tragedy of Ali was how he ended up at such a early age.He could have gone on to do far greater than anything he did in the boxing ring.He had the personality,charisma,following,intelligence to do so much.Someone who was known and loved worldwide.The first black President,a civil rights campaigner,he could have achieved so much and change so much but he was robbed of his opportunity to do so.

They do, the greatest of my time is Mayweather which I believe is how good he is at moving, however I believe Ali was so much quicker, especially for a bigger man at a time when sports science is not what it is today

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Followed his career from when he was knocking over opponents in the round he was predicting and surviving the near defeat to Henry Cooper, to taking on the most fearsome man on the planet. Liston was the bad man in the eyes of the public, a brutal criminal, controlled by the Mob. Clay knew that the only thing that would spook Liston would be a mad man and he set out to get inside his head. He was so hyper and brash and upset so many people,that the majority of public turned against him and actually wanted Liston to take him out. Following his sensational win, he went public almost immediately, with his name change and conversion to Islam. He was seduced by the false and corrupt leader of the Black Muslims, Elijah Muhammad and ultimately turned his back on his friend Malcolm X, who was gathering mass support in his own right as a leader and orator. Malcolm X was murdered as he was becoming too powerful and threatening the position of Elijah M. Ali stayed loyal to the Black Muslim movement but many never forgave him for turning his back on his former friend.
At the height of his power he refused the draft into the US Army and his 3+ years in jail, knocked the edge of his talent. When he returned to the ring, he was slower and rushed too quickly into the fight of the century v Joe Frazier. This was the biggest fight of all time and his third meeting with Frazier in Manilla was the greatest fight of all time. No two fighters ever gave more in the ring and Ali said he was close to death at the end. Both were hospitalised and never really recoverd their former glory. Ali was involved in the greatest era of heavyweight boxing, when he was beyond his best. Frazier, Foreman, Norton, Quarry, Ellis, Spinks etc...Ali fought them all and in beating Foreman in Zaire, turned history on its head again and gained admiration the world over.
His last few fights were sad and unnecessary and in an ideal world, he would have retired after the third Frazier fight. Ali's legion of camp followers, who all needed support, wouldn't allow it and like his hero, Sugar Ray Robinson, his fame and ego cost millions to sustain. His subsequent illness robbed the world of one of the great communicators. Without it, he would have travelled the world, entertaining, enlightening and inspiring. His charisma still carried him through his later years but his diminished faculties induced sadness and respect in equal measure.
He was brave and charismatic. He was exciting and entertaining. He led and inspired but above all he was a great boxer. The quickest heavy weight anyone has seen, he would deliver cluster punches in the blink of an eye. Defensively superb, he could absorb huge punishment.. He transcended his sport in a way no-one has done before or since and the epithet of greatest sportsperson of all time sits comfortably on his shoulders. In the whole history of boxing, he shares the rarified air with his own hero, Sugar Ray Robinson, (who Ali wanted in his corner with him ) and these two will never be surpassed. He and ' Smokin Joe ' Frazier are reunited now and saying their hello's again. Ali hurt him with his jibes but ultimately, they liked and respected each other and fought each other to a standstill.
This is one man who will never, ever, be forgotten. RIP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here