Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Quietly confident

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Only if you are educated enough to know I guess.

handbags.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Strangely I feel the opposite. We make a lot of positional errors and Valencia could have been out of sight. Forward we do look a bit better but we are much worse at the back IMO.

I get the positional errors part of it, but not the rest.

To me the way they were set up the team is going to be a lot more reliant on the 3 at the back being defenders and not last ditch 'blockers', they seemed up to it.

Up front looks better and sharper, but clearly a piece missing, which will hopefully arrive by Thursday.

Tonight's performance made me want the 6ft 4 Moroccan even more!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dan Burns not Moroccan??? OMG!

But Dan En-Burns might be. :lol:

Nah I mean ditch this Brentford fella everyone has heard of, and throw all the money on the kiddie nobody had heard of until Wednesday.

Sound business acumen. :thumbsup:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
But Dan En-Burns might be. :lol:

Nah I mean ditch this Brentford fella everyone has heard of, and throw all the money on the kiddie nobody had heard of until Wednesday.

Sound business acumen. :thumbsup:

I'll chip in a few dirham, a sheckel, and half a dinari, if I can reach that far down the back of the scatter cushions.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll chip in a few dirham, a sheckel, and half a dinari, if I can reach that far down the back of the scatter cushions.

Half a dinari for my life story...

...I thank you and good night!

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Watford is going to be a totally different game. They humiliated us last season and have exactly the kind of players who will enjoy moving a slightly immobile defence and ponderous CM about. We'll know fair more after that game. Seems pretty positive so far though, so fingers crossed.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Watford is going to be a totally different game. They humiliated us last season and have exactly the kind of players who will enjoy moving a slightly immobile defence and ponderous CM about. We'll know fair more after that game. Seems pretty positive so far though, so fingers crossed.

Central midfield is a major concern. It was also largely why we were shit last year

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Sorry, but how much of your quiet confidence is down to the fact that we've WON the last two games? IMHO we're still far too short of ideas up front, things tend to still stall in midfield. Easy to read plenty into pre-season games, but we won't really learn very much until the season begins in earnest.
Obviously winning games is important especially under a new regime. The style has impressed greatly for me. With new players coming into the squad to improve that also bodes well for the season ahead too

el punal

Last season we had one of the worst games, of many, there. I hope I’m not tempting fate in thinking that won’t be repeated. Secondly, I wonder if Watford will be suffering from their FA Cup Final tonking? Still, I’m in a glass half full optimistic mood so I reckon we’ll come away with a point or maybe three.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I’m sticking with the position I had on the day the season finished in May - if we don’t sign a mobile, pacy striker and a centre mid who can influence the tempo in this window then we will be relegated.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Last season we had one of the worst games, of many, there. I hope I’m not tempting fate in thinking that won’t be repeated. Secondly, I wonder if Watford will be suffering from their FA Cup Final tonking? Still, I’m in a glass half full optimistic mood so I reckon we’ll come away with a point or maybe three.

We certainly contained Man City in the cup better than Watford. But that's probably nothing to go on now we have a more attacking formation.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I’m sticking with the position I had on the day the season finished in May - if we don’t sign a mobile, pacy striker and a centre mid who can influence the tempo in this window then we will be relegated.

I'm inclined to agree, It would appear we've made changes in the safer places and minor improvements, but done bugger all in the areas we're weak in. If we don't sign a few better players (striker and midfield) we're going to be in the mire

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The last two games have been very impressive last week with the relentless goal hunting and movement the left hand side looking like it’s locked down with burn March and trossard.
Tonight the boys were very good again locadia with a few decent touches more so the first half trossard again excellent if he stays injury free we could have some player on our hands march and burn again very solid and some lovely one touch football played amongst each other all in all I’m quietly confident the season won’t be as disastrous as some will have us believe

Yes all very pleasing, good result and most players did well, but let's not get carried away here, this was a pre season friendly and little more than a fitness exercise and a chance to work on our formation and to try out some new ideas.

Next week at Watford is when it matters, let's wait and see how well, (or otherwise), we do then, before we get too carried away. There have been too many instances in the past when we have had a good pre season, then in all went wrong when it mattered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here