Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Questions from a Luddite.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I sympathise. But I think the answer here is to get a smartphone.

Or take your desk top computer and a generator to the ground.

I have similar issues with my dear Nan. Never used a computer/ smart phone. Won’t even use email which is a pain as she has moved to Australia.
I have a smart phone. Also a laptop and a printer at home.

I'm not so much a technophobe tbh. I'm more ranting at the assumption that everyone just knows how to do these things, like E tickets, without any instruction given.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
There lays part of the problem.
Example...
A few years ago my landline ( long gone ) rings , Mum ' what's a qr code ?' Me ' I'll ring you back in a couple of minutes ' ..asks Google....... ' it's a box with lots of dots in it ', Mum ' then why call it a code when it's a box and not a line ?'....
If it was called a qr box the confusion would be far reduced ..
Because it is a code. It's basically a barcode but 2-dimensional rather than a string of lines, so it can hold more information.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I do sympathise somewhat with those who struggle with the pace of technology, but from many there is a stubborn refusal to engage with it, then when the rest of the world moves on they complain they are left behind.

Most of these things take about 5 minutes to learn for the first time (just Google it, or ask a young person to help). Then once you've done it a few times, it's easy. Most of these technology changes are far easier in the long run, once you get the hang of them.

Personally I'm glad I don't have to waste time going into town to the bank every Saturday morning to get my money/pay in cheques/make transfers etc when I can do all of these in minutes from my phone, whenever I want.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
You're making my point for me. You're talking about the way things are supposed to work, not the reality. If the phone didn't need connectivity, then the tickets would display. But when it wouldn't display, the attendant at the gate said that I had to go and get a paper ticket. If tickets were updated before the game, then the correct season ticket would be displaying. But for the Man City game, my ticket was for Southampton; for the Southampton game, my ticket was for Everton and so on.

Yes, that's how it's meant to work, but the reality is very different

Sounds like a problem with your phone as the other 31000 people attending didn't need to go get paper tickets.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Feel sorry for my mum.

She lives near fiveways and still does a weekly trip to North Road (as they closed her local branch) to go to the bank and withdraw cash, which she then uses to pay for everything.

She won't use one of these new fangled holes in the wall to get money out, and won't use her debit card to pay for things as she thinks she'll get scammed.

She keeps ringing me up complaining that some shops won't take cash any more, she can't send a cheque to people in the post to pay for things, they want to take the long card number over the phone or even worse, tell her she can pay and order 'online'.

She doesn't have a mobile phone, has no idea what the Internet is etc...

Christ knows how she gets by!

Oh and I also have no idea what an online wallet is or whatever it is called.
Does she ride her horse to Fiveways? Or did she change to a car once they became common? ;)

Joking aside, I do have sympathy for elderly / digital technology resistant people. But change has always been present for us, and the pace will only keep increasing. There is little point moaning and complaining about something that is simply the natural course of advancement

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sounds like a problem with your phone as the other 31000 people attending didn't need to go get paper tickets.
Maybe. But I have a brand new Pixel 7. if that's not capable of working properly, then there's something wrong with the system

And the fact that the system doesn't update tickets automatically will be nothing to do with the phone

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Maybe. But I have a brand new Pixel 7. if that's not capable of working properly, then there's something wrong with the system

And the fact that the system doesn't update tickets automatically will be nothing to do with the phone
It doesn't matter if the correct match is displayed on the digital season ticket, it will still work. This has happened to me a couple of times, I was initially concerned but was relieved to discover that this was not actually a problem.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

It actually is something to do with your phone as it automatically updates on the vast majority of season ticket holders phones with no problem at all.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I've just paid my credit card via my phone. So what, you may say. I've apps for banking and card. Opened the card app and it asked if I wanted to pay my statement, I clicked yes and it went into overdrive. Select your bank, click, and the screen flashes a few times, asked for ID (fingerprint) and the bank and card app talked to each other transfering this money. Seconds later it was all over. For an old geezer technology has overtaken me.
Yes - Pay By Bank is a brilliant new feature. Saves a lot of faff switching between apps and certainly better than the non-app alternatives.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It doesn't matter if the correct match is displayed on the digital season ticket, it will still work. This has happened to me a couple of times, I was initially concerned but was relieved to discover that this was not actually a problem.

Oh, it still worked. I was referring to the comment that it automatically updates for every game, when it clearly doesn't

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Like most things these days, YouTube will help:

Apple:

Android:

The Google Wallet integration thing is still quite new and many "digital tickets" don't include the avbility to add to your wallet. Third party apps like passwallet are an alternative for tickets, if you want to sotre it soemwhere convenient on an Android phone, otherwise the OP is better just pointing the QR code at a scanner, either via printed paper of phone screen.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Thanks. Yes, that's the conclusion I've arrived at. Which then of course begs the next question.

What if I don't have a printer at home or carry around a smart phone?

Sometimes, as shit as those times were in terms of many public attitudes, I'd gladly return to the 1970's. Things were so much simpler then.
You receive the ticket well in advance of the event. If you can't find a way to print it, you simply aren't trying.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I've been wondering about the smartphone generation, and probate. What happens when someone who keeps all their data on a biometric protected phone, and they die? How do the executors know where the money is? The old fashioned way would be to look at bank statements and, if necessary, wait for more to arrive by post. How do they get hold of the information now?
These are usually separate things. The biometric provides access to the device, which is separate to the credentials required to access cloud accounts, including bank accounts.

Modern password managers and productivity services include a facility, where you nominate a next of kin and a response time. The next of kin requests access and if you don't respond within the agreed timescale, they gain access.

There is also a single notification process, which includes the vast majority of banks and financial services organisations. There will always be cases where people don't keep paper records, or think about how next of kin can access accounts, but I don't think technology necessarily makes this worse.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It actually is something to do with your phone as it automatically updates on the vast majority of season ticket holders phones with no problem at all.
I think it happened to me on about three occasions last season. As you say it isn't a biggie, but @Gwylan is right, this is not supposed to happen and it does not help people to feel confident in the technology.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Feel sorry for my mum.

She lives near fiveways and still does a weekly trip to North Road (as they closed her local branch) to go to the bank and withdraw cash, which she then uses to pay for everything.

She won't use one of these new fangled holes in the wall to get money out, and won't use her debit card to pay for things as she thinks she'll get scammed.

She keeps ringing me up complaining that some shops won't take cash any more, she can't send a cheque to people in the post to pay for things, they want to take the long card number over the phone or even worse, tell her she can pay and order 'online'.

She doesn't have a mobile phone, has no idea what the Internet is etc...

Christ knows how she gets by!

Oh and I also have no idea what an online wallet is or whatever it is called.
Yes. But also feel sorry for retailers. It’s up to them how they take payment and clearly they are going to want to keep up with the method preferred by most of their customers. In these discussions there is quite a lot of presumption that businesses should offer any payment method a customer requires and that just isn’t the case.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Exactly!

That's another one....'Find us on Facebook' :sick:

That's instant shutdown for me. Never joined Friendface or Twatter for that matter. Any business or organisation that only allows me access to their services or info via those routes just gets ignored.
Which is up to you. Businesses use Facebook advertising because it is free and that’s up to them. Not all can afford global ad campaigns or fancy websites.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Depends on the loyalty card. The majority are just an image file of the barcode that would have been on the back of a physical card and certainly don't need internet access to work. And usually digital tickets for the Amex would have updated way before the match. The system doesn't require the phone to have connectivity at time of entry.
There clearly was an updating issue with STs last season, particularly near the end. My ST was consistently one or two matches behind as were the 4 others in our group. Having said that as has been said many times it doesn't prevent access to the stadium. You certainly shouldn't need WiFi to show ticket in your Google wallet - never have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here