Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Questions from a Luddite.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Having given up our Season Tickets a couple of years ago, I've only ever used a paper ticket or our Season Ticket swipe cards for Albion games. I've no idea what a 'digital wallet' is and never gone to any ticketed event where I've had to use my phone.

I've just bought a ticket for an event and all I've got is a confirmation page and email with the ticket details and a QR Code thingy. No instructions whatsoever as to what to do next. Why the fvck do these people just assume everyone just automatically knows the fvcking rules! :mad:

I suspect a ticket won't be arriving in the post. I'm confused. Can someone please tell me how this modern shit works exactly?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Like most things these days, YouTube will help:

Apple:

Android:

Thanks, but there it goes again. It just assumes, first that I know what 'Google Wallet' is, and second, that once I find out what it is, that I want it.

How do the elderly with no computer knowledge or the desire or ability to use a 'smartphone' actually get by these days I wonder.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Thanks, but there it goes again. It just assumes, first that I know what 'Google Wallet' is, and second, that once I find out what it is, that I want it.

How do the elderly with no computer knowledge or the desire or ability to use a 'smartphone' actually get by these days I wonder.
Well you’ve learnt to type on a computer. 2 of my elderly customers still pay me by cheque.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Feel sorry for my mum.

She lives near fiveways and still does a weekly trip to North Road (as they closed her local branch) to go to the bank and withdraw cash, which she then uses to pay for everything.

She won't use one of these new fangled holes in the wall to get money out, and won't use her debit card to pay for things as she thinks she'll get scammed.

She keeps ringing me up complaining that some shops won't take cash any more, she can't send a cheque to people in the post to pay for things, they want to take the long card number over the phone or even worse, tell her she can pay and order 'online'.

She doesn't have a mobile phone, has no idea what the Internet is etc...

Christ knows how she gets by!

Oh and I also have no idea what an online wallet is or whatever it is called.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Feel sorry for my mum.

She lives near fiveways and still does a weekly trip to North Road (as they closed her local branch) to go to the bank and withdraw cash, which she then uses to pay for everything.

She won't use one of these new fangled holes in the wall to get money out, and won't use her debit card to pay for things as she thinks she'll get scammed.

She keeps ringing me up complaining that some shops won't take cash any more, she can't send a cheque to people in the post to pay for things, they want to take the long card number over the phone or even worse, tell her she can pay and order 'online'.

Why can’t she send a cheque? I have a Barclays account and still have a cheque book. I rarely use if because my youngest grandchild is now 19, and BACS is so much easier.

Please don’t write old people off as tech illiterate. I’ve been retired a long time, but used computers at work.
I ask Nsc, friends and Google to find out how new stuff works. I know I’m not the oldest one on Nsc either.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
For the record
Feel sorry for my mum.

Sounds just like how my old Mum was right up to when she died. She did have a mobile phone, as we got her one of those with the huge keypads, but she never ever used it for anything other than phonecalls. She would pay for things in a shop with a card, but reluctantly as she preferred to carry cash that she'd withdraw over the counter at her local Building Society.

I find it concerning as I feel the elderly trying to embrace the new technology are sitting ducks for being scammed. The ones not willing to embrace new technology are being increasingly left behind.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It sounds like you've received an eticket if the email has a QR code. Don't worry about a wallet, probably isn't applicable. Just print out a copy of the email or let the venue scan the qr code in the email from your phone.
Thanks. Yes, that's the conclusion I've arrived at. Which then of course begs the next question.

What if I don't have a printer at home or carry around a smart phone?

Sometimes, as shit as those times were in terms of many public attitudes, I'd gladly return to the 1970's. Things were so much simpler then.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Drive them down to the
Thanks. Yes, that's the conclusion I've arrived at. Which then of course begs the next question.

What if I don't have a printer at home or carry around a smart phone?

Sometimes, as shit as those times were in terms of many public attitudes, I'd gladly return to the 1970's. Things were so much simpler then.
I fingered my first bird in the 70’s

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Download the Google Wallet App, or one of the alternatives from the App store.

Thanks. Having read all that, quite frankly, that scares the shit out of me and just confuses me even more! :(

That's an awful lot of control I'd be handing over to Google.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Why can’t she send a cheque? I have a Barclays account and still have a cheque book. I rarely use if because my youngest grandchild is now 19, and BACS is so much easier.

Please don’t write old people off as tech illiterate. I’ve been retired a long time, but used computers at work.
I ask Nsc, friends and Google to find out how new stuff works. I know I’m not the oldest one on Nsc either.
BACS you say? :lol:

Here we go again. His Mum won't have the foggiest what that means either. There's the assumption that everyone should just automatically know what that means.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There is a serious point here. People talk a lot of discrimination due to many reasons but not against those without access to a computer or its technology. People who are partially sighted, arthritis in their fingers. I find it all the time. No hard copies of documents, important information on Facebook.
Exactly!

That's another one....'Find us on Facebook' :sick:

That's instant shutdown for me. Never joined Friendface or Twatter for that matter. Any business or organisation that only allows me access to their services or info via those routes just gets ignored.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here