Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Questions for the Recruitment Department

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
In my opinion the reality is that the club have yet to find a player that is good enough quality (i.e. better than what we have), affordable and available.
It would seem that most people would be happy if we signed another ‘Johnny Foreigner’ that nobody has heard of, but if he turns out to be no better than the likes of Locadia then we’ve wasted a load of money and gained nothing. The club can’t afford to be wasting another £15m on a gamble.

Our better and most realistic option is to get someone in on loan but is there genuinely anyone decent enough available and willing to come here that isn’t on astronomical wages ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Anfield!! I seem to recall we were very unlucky not to get an point and were certainly on top for the last quarter of the game.

And our overall performances against Sheff Utd, Chelsea home and away, at Goodison? That’s not “competing”. Chris Wilder for example had us ‘on toast’ from the first minute.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The recruiting team have to find players around the £10-15m mark tough ask to get real quality in at those figures. We have one of the lowest budgets in the league no real quality will arrive anytime soons. Dembele from Celtic went for nothing really at £20m we offered £12m the lad even wanted the move unfortunately we are like a tinpot Spurs never want to pay the going rate.

Or .... loanees.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
He came on as a sub after about an hour in the first 2 league games and started the 3rd, in which he got an early red card and 3 match suspension. The only person to blame for not getting enough game time was himself.

Agree 100% - hence I said “in his eyes” and then he orchestrated his own downfall

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I'm really not sure which part of Tony's "we don't like doing business in the January window" is difficult to understand.

Then why not do it in the summer?

We clearly needed a replacement for Murray and that was before the ridiculous decision to bin off Andone and Locadia after the window had closed. If Potter didn't fancy them they should have been sold in the summer and the proceeds reinvested. Surely that wasn't beyond the wit of the recruitment team and the manager.

Then we wouldn't be in this shambles now.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Or .... loanees.

This transfer window I thought the chance of signing someone would be slim but I was convinced we'd get a loan or 2 in. So not signing anyone hasn't surprised me at all but the lack of loans has taken me aback. We have sent some many players out on loan last few seasons we must be owed so favours in return!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
And our overall performances against Sheff Utd, Chelsea home and away, at Goodison? That’s not “competing”. Chris Wilder for example had us ‘on toast’ from the first minute.

In all the games you mention, we had very good chances to snatch a point and had periods where we were well on top. Were we the better team in those games? No. We're we competitive? yes, of course we were.

OK, I didn't see the game at Stamford Bridge, so I'm prepared to concede that we may out been well beaten there. And 4 nil at Man City suggests we weren't as well. So after 24 games of the season, I really don't think there are more than 3, (away at Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea) where we were never in the game and were well beaten. Personally I believe we deserve huge credit for that.

The other teams below and around us, have got much worse goal differences, they've all had many more games where they've been played off the park and been beaten heavily

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Firstly, you highlighted Anfield as a game where we didn't compete and I would argue that we did and were unlucky not to get anything out of the game. Against Chelsea at home, we got the formation wrong and changed and then we did compete and got our first prem point against them. Sheff Utd did to us what they have done to many teams.

We all know we aren't going to be competitive in every game and for 90 minutes, no team is.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
well with spurs , west ham , chelsea , united and numerous others all sniffing for bargains on the continent i would say we aren't going to get a striker / forward in ......i am happy to be proved wrong.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He came on as a sub after about an hour in the first 2 league games and started the 3rd, in which he got an early red card and 3 match suspension. The only person to blame for not getting enough game time was himself.

Andone was never settled. Hughton didn't help by not regularly playing him, he didn't like living in Brighton and looks like he engineered a move away under Potter. Really if a player has made his mind up there is no point stopping him.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Anfield!! I seem to recall we were very unlucky not to get an point and were certainly on top for the last quarter of the game.
indeed, Liverpool helped massively by Twatkins managed to get over the line just. Sheffield Utd didn’t do anything special scored a goal and dug in similarities to us last year. Some just like to suit their own agenda.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In all the games you mention, we had very good chances to snatch a point and had periods where we were well on top. Were we the better team in those games? No. We're we competitive? yes, of course we were.

OK, I didn't see the game at Stamford Bridge, so I'm prepared to concede that we may out been well beaten there. And 4 nil at Man City suggests we weren't as well. So after 24 games of the season, I really don't think there are more than 3, (away at Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea) where we were never in the game and were well beaten. Personally I believe we deserve huge credit for that.

The other teams below and around us, have got much worse goal differences, they've all had many more games where they've been played off the park and been beaten heavily

It’s all about points, GD is a side issue.

Hopefully 4 or 6 points in the next two will give us a huge boost.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
indeed, Liverpool helped massively by Twatkins managed to get over the line just. Sheffield Utd didn’t do anything special scored a goal and dug in similarities to us last year. Some just like to suit their own agenda.

NSC’s player ratings from virtually everyone post Blades match, were all miserably low (including from positive fans). They outplayed us for virtually the entire game, a team of giants and powerful players, that had us in their pockets. Deserved winners, we were gash.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Which part of "we're in a relegation scrap for 3rd season in a row and desperately need a striker" is difficult to understand??

No, we're not in a relegation battle this season. The Board agreed we needed to get rid of Chris (so did I and many others) and we'd now establish ourselves as a mid-table team, so what's the problem? Other than fewer points and a lower league position than last year, what's the problem with this mid-table strategy? :ohmy::facepalm::eek::down::angry::annoyed:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Indeed. Or this idea that they sit around for the rest of the year doing nothing and then think the day before deadline day ‘maybe we should try and sign someone”. The absolute ignorance and stupidity of some of our fans is just astonishing. I wonder if we are worse than most in this department. I feels like we are, but we’re probably not, I suppose.

Our online fans do seem to have a reputation as being a bit special on the wider internet. I don’t think the constant meltdowns on here help with that perception.

Then again maybe my view is tainted by the fact I use a multiclub forum which at one point saw us represented by Spence, Sir Albion & Perseus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here