Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Questionnaire for Brighton fans on the significance of football stadium names

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Done. Interesting survey and discussion point. I personally don't see any benefit to the fans of a stadium sponsor. Just more money to the club which ultimately goes into the players pockets in the main. Yes I guess it means we are marginally more competitive in the transfer market, but it's marginal so little benefit to us.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Reply sent. Out of interest, how many Clubs have you involved in this project, are they all Premier League and do they range across the styles and age of grounds? It was also be interesting to know if there is a regional variation or one between football hotbed cities and clubs with smaller catchments.

Fraserja

Feb 26, 2019
OK time to let us know who YOU support???

Apologies if you have and I’ve missed it.

I’m guessing United

Middlesbrough. No point holding a grudge over the last day of 15/16 anymore is there? Considering where the two clubs are now!

Fraserja

Feb 26, 2019
Reply sent. Out of interest, how many Clubs have you involved in this project, are they all Premier League and do they range across the styles and age of grounds? It was also be interesting to know if there is a regional variation or one between football hotbed cities and clubs with smaller catchments.

I have included all clubs which have corporate stadium names in the 92. So 31 to be exact.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Middlesbrough. No point holding a grudge over the last day of 15/16 anymore is there? Considering where the two clubs are now!

:lolol: Good for you, I’m assuming you weren’t one of the knuckledraggers who celebrated by goading and abusing Albion fans rather than just enjoying a fantastically exciting promotion.

I understand why you kept schtum until now though :wink:

What are your thoughts on Tony Pulis and your chances of going up this season?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Done, although many on here wouldn't agree with me!

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Done.

Amex is a relatively sensible name, being the Wham stadium or The People's Pension Stadium I think would be a bit different.

I would assume Newcastle fans will have a very different viewpoint from us on this particular subject!

Is it? I can't remember what it was called last time I went to a non-Albion game there. Loving the optimism re: champions league though!!

For the Rugby world cup it was Brighton Community Stadium.

batch_91

Jul 14, 2012
Sheffield/Portslade
Done.

I think the stadium was built in a place of not much geographical significance compared to the rest of the city. (I can imagine a different perception if we'd ended up in Shoreham Harbour or Waterhall for example).

Add in the fact that the Albion are a bit of a unique case because of the circumstances around the move, and the funds it brought were crucial to getting the stadium over the line, so it was always received as a positive step.

Fraserja

Feb 26, 2019
:lolol: Good for you, I’m assuming you weren’t one of the knuckledraggers who celebrated by goading and abusing Albion fans rather than just enjoying a fantastically exciting promotion.

I understand why you kept schtum until now though :wink:

What are your thoughts on Tony Pulis and your chances of going up this season?

I wasn't there, unfortunately I was watching at home. But looking back on it now it's pretty unique that the last automatic promotion spot goes down to the last day when 2nd and 3rd are playing each other. Quite an occasion. I can remember the day like it was yesterday, it was tense to say the least!

Yep, exactly :lolol: Interestingly, I have got the 2nd most responses from Brighton fans, certainly didn't expect that!

Overall thoughts on Boro: It has been a pretty dull season especially at home and going out to 2 lower league sides in the cups was poor. Having said that our away form is very good and we have the best defence in the league. I guess we knew what we were expecting when we signed up Tony Pulis but if somehow we got promoted (most likely via the playoffs) no one would be complaining. However, even though we are 5th at the moment, I am not that optimistic about our promotion chances as I think there are better sides in and amongst us.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Not quite comparing like with like. Most of the cases where it is a pure re-name, a lot of fans are unhappy. For those new grounds that have have had a sponsor branding from outset, fans are a lot more accepting.
Thanks for sharing the results though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here