Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Questionnaire for Brighton fans on the significance of football stadium names

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Done. And agree with others that the last question needs more options. Personally speaking I couldn't really care less what a stadium is called, so to ask which I prefer, I have no real answer.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Done - but I just wanted to add... our beautiful new stadium cost a lot of money and we owe our current status, and possibly our continued existence, to it. So it would be hard to resent that, and hard to resent the people who funded it wanting to recoup some of that money via any means necessary. It's also only ever really had one name.

Had the ground ever previously had a geographical or traditional name I suspect we'd feel somewhat differently. If the Goldstone Ground had been renamed 'The Nobo Ring', for example, I imagine most of us would have continued to call it The Goldstone.

Thought that was an important point not captured by your questions - good luck.

Agree with all of that. I can't bear calling Dean Court "The Vitality Stadium" but that's because we know it's really called Dean Court.

The Amex has almost become an abstract word for me ... I don't think of American Express cards when I say it. As you say, it's what the ground has been known as from the start.

I've never been keen on the "community" bit of the stadium name. To me it's just meaningless PR, like anything that's labelled "the people's" whatever. But I don't dwell on it.

Fraserja

Feb 26, 2019
Thanks for completing it and for the feedback. I understand where you are coming from but it is just a choice of preference. The Goldstone is gone but did you prefer that stadium to the one you are in now?

Fraserja

Feb 26, 2019
Thanks for the feedback. I have had a similar response about the last question and I completely understand that but I'm trying to compare a traditional name to a corporate name. Also, I couldn't really include the Withdean Stadium because it was classed as a temporary home. Appreciate your comments though.

Fraserja

Feb 26, 2019
My personal opinion is that, yes there is because a traditional name or one based on location gives the club a sense of identity. If they decided to go for a corporate name then I feel it is meaningless to the club, its fans and the area. Thanks for completing it!

Fraserja

Feb 26, 2019
Thank you for this comment, it will be useful for my project. Appreciate it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for completing it and for the feedback. I understand where you are coming from but it is just a choice of preference. The Goldstone is gone but did you prefer that stadium to the one you are in now?

No because it was a run down shit hole in the end with no real prospects of being redeveloped into a sizeable modern stadium due to it's position with houses behind the East Terrace BUT it was sold off by asset strippers and turned into a shopping centre. For that reason it was our spiritual home when we were forced to play at Gillingham and then an athletics track at Withdean. Many fans refused to even drive past it until the Amex was built many years later. The Amex is fantastic but is not really ideally situated and I guess we would never have got a stadium like that if we hadn't been fleeced by Archer and Stanley and Tony Bloom wasn't our fairy godfather, taking over the reigns from the magnificent Dick Knight :bowdown:

The Goldstone still has a place in my heart although this is just my opinion btw :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here